SEC thinking of having their own playoff

BS85

D before E
Premium
"We have an incredibly strong league, one that will be even stronger once Oklahoma and Texas join," Stricklin told Thamel. "The focus should be on how we as a league use that strength to further position the SEC as we face new realities. Commissioner Sankey has encouraged our athletic directors to think creatively, and an SEC-only playoff is a different idea that we should absolutely consider an option." -Scott Stricklin

Advertisement
There's a secession joke about the South in here somewhere but I'm not gonna touch it.

drag race no GIF by Robert E Blackmon

"We have an incredibly strong league, one that will be even stronger once Oklahoma and Texas join," Stricklin told Thamel. "The focus should be on how we as a league use that strength to further position the SEC as we face new realities. Commissioner Sankey has encouraged our athletic directors to think creatively, and an SEC-only playoff is a different idea that we should absolutely consider an option." -Scott Stricklin

That article with your avatar is hilarious.

Honestly I expected this.... The SEC is priming itself for what's to come in CFB... With the coming collapse ( already happening) of the NCAA coupled with the new economic landscape the SEC's desire to be a super conference will surely come about... Adding Tex and OK is only the start.... They'll make a play at more teams in the coming years...
This is just the beginning ....

Advertisement
Honestly I expected this.... The SEC is priming itself for what's to come in CFB... With the coming collapse ( already happening) of the NCAA coupled with the new economic landscape the SEC's desire to be a super conference will surely come about... Adding Tex and OK is only the start.... They'll make a play at more teams in the coming years...
This is just the beginning ....
I think they have to add a lot more teams or they'll lose a lot of interest. If they do this it's to replace the NCAA and not just leave it (which is basically what you're saying as well).

Advertisement

All that says to me is that the $ec is really worried about actual parity in football. When those top two teams that carry the conference start losing, the bottom feeders like the gaytor won't be able to chant $ec $ec $ec to prop themselves up anymore.

$ec can't lose the playoffs anymore if nobody else can play in them.

1653395554469.jpeg

If the SEC has its own playoff and decides to crown itself the "national champion" you can pretty much kiss college football as we know it goodbye. Nobody north of the mason-dixie line is watching that ****. I know im not. The SEC thinks everyone in the country is just so in love with their conference and really its just the deep south, bible belt states that love the SEC.

Thats not a sustainable financial model long term. No network is going to back that especially after ESPN fell for that same "banana in the tailpipe" with Texas and there "Yeah we can pretty much have our own network and provide content that will bring millions of viewers because everyone loves Texas!, right?" WRONG. Lol.

Advertisement
I keep saying it but the ACC is at real risk of being left behind in football if it already hasn’t been. The whole conference has 2, maybe 3 teams (Clemson, Miami, and maybe North Carolina) spending legit money in football right now.

ACC needs Notre Dame or college football is going to be all SEC and Big 10.

not sure how the sec fans will like this. Can’t prove you’re the “dominant conference” when you only play yourself

That would be awesome if they did that. Let them fight it out in their own conference and separate them from the rest of the CFB world. If I'm a team in any of the other P5 divisions and they do this, I'm saying no thank you when they approach to get you on the schedule. Let them keep playing the same few teams and then the rest of P5 can carry on fighting for the actual national title.

Advertisement
All that says to me is that the $ec is really worried about actual parity in football. When those top two teams that carry the conference start losing, the bottom feeders like the gaytor won't be able to chant $ec $ec $ec to prop themselves up anymore.

$ec can't lose the playoffs anymore if nobody else can play in them.

View attachment 186908
And they will be very surprised at how horrible the ratings would be for a "SEC Playoffs" structure. Year 1 might be pretty good but its all downhill after that. That will humble them some at the notion that everyone loves SEC football. Its just not true. CBS didnt want to pony up the cash to keep their contract after 2023. That should tell you all you need to know about how they viewed the partnership.

With Ole Miss and TAMU knee deep in the NIL and transfer game it might bring some competition back to the conference but casual fans are not falling over themselves to see Bama and UGA beat the **** out of everyone, every year in that conference. Which is what CBS found out the hard way im sure.

More SEC games = More SEC losses.

I hope the SEC Playoffs will have a Sweet 16 double-elimination format.

I keep saying it but the ACC is at real risk of being left behind in football if it already hasn’t been. The whole conference has 2, maybe 3 teams (Clemson, Miami, and maybe North Carolina) spending legit money in football right now.

ACC needs Notre Dame or college football is going to be all SEC and Big 10.
The fans will dictate alot of this. Believe it or not, college fans dont want too much change too fast. There has been ALOT of changes in college football these last few years that could chase away the average fan. (conference realignments, traditional teams leaving conferences for other conferences, transfer portal, NIL deals, etc)...the **** NFL doesnt even have this many drastic changes in a 2-3 year period. College football better be careful. Keep it simple. Dont mess with the model too much.

They should invite UCF. Nothing like winning a mythical championship.

Advertisement
Back