Seattle Seahawks' defense

Not to get too far off topic but let's see if the Seattle scheme passes the test of time when their QB starts making more than $50k a year. I'm not ready to lump ol Pete Carroll in with Buddy Ryan and **** Lebeau just yet as some sort of genius.

As a DC in the NFL, Pete Carroll fielded #1 defenses a couple of times. Pete Carroll isn't some flash in the pan. He's been doing it forever.

Agreed. And there are at least a handful of other guys in the NFL you could say are just as smart (defensively) as him. I'm just saying that a lot of prisoner of the moment type football fans are real quick to name him and this D as an all-time great. To say that in the NFL it has to survive and thrive after cap limitations come into play- a factor they haven't had to deal with yet because Wilson hasn't been paid.

I'm ALL for our staff getting exposure to guys like Carroll though. That's assuming they don't leave only remembering "bend but don't break" though.

Advertisement
All Seattle runs is Cover-3 and Cover-1, and they play press technique in both. They're also aggressive up-front, they're not sitting there playing patty cake with offensive linemen.

We play some press-bail at Miami, just like Seattle, but that's the only similarity that I see.

They run some two deep too, but their bread and butter coverages are as you mentioned. The beauty of their single high is that it is often hard to tell which coverage they're playing...zone looks like man and vice versa. The principle of sister coverage is key. When they run two deep the same principle applies. Man-2 looks a lot like quarters, as it should.

All Seattle runs is Cover-3 and Cover-1, and they play press technique in both. They're also aggressive up-front, they're not sitting there playing patty cake with offensive linemen.

We play some press-bail at Miami, just like Seattle, but that's the only similarity that I see.

They run some two deep too, but their bread and butter coverages are as you mentioned. The beauty of their single high is that it is often hard to tell which coverage they're playing...zone looks like man and vice versa. The principle of sister coverage is key. When they run two deep the same principle applies. Man-2 looks a lot like quarters, as it should.

Yes , Chavis does this as well . Cover 1 man and cover 3 zone are easily disguised by the single high safety

Indeed. They make it hard to decipher between zone and man. They're always pressed.

Yes , Chavis does this as well . Cover 1 man and cover 3 zone are easily disguised by the single high safety

To be honest, it isn't even a disguise. In single high you know you're going to get one of two coverages, excluding rotations. Man-1 or Cover-3. The art of disguise is to work your primary coverages from different techniques. As an example, and the way the 'hawks do it, show press cover 3 alignment then play man free from it....press man-1 alignment, cover-3 off it. Not a lot of stuff. It's just simple and effective because they don't try running everything under the sun the way we do. Keep it simple and master something. We're the jack of all coverages and master of not a single one. Couple that with no consistent upfront pressure .... .... ....!

Advertisement

To be honest, it isn't even a disguise. In single high you know you're going to get one of two coverages, excluding rotations. Man-1 or Cover-3. The art of disguise is to work your primary coverages from different techniques. As an example, and the way the 'hawks do it, show press cover 3 alignment then play man free from it....press man-1 alignment, cover-3 off it. Not a lot of stuff. It's just simple and effective because they don't try running everything under the sun the way we do. Keep it simple and master something. We're the jack of all coverages and master of not a single one. Couple that with no consistent upfront pressure .... .... ....!

And to think you did all of that without a chalkboard.

Why can't we have more of you and less of the condescending "they came out in 21 personnel" types?

Would rep if I could.

Yeah, Chavis keeps it simple but looks complicated to the qb. Lots of late movements from safeties , show 2 deep man then drop S late. Also shows press and bail out late or vice verse .

I think part of the problem is, our guys know what the coverage takes away, but they don't know what they're giving up. The TDs down the seam in the NU and USC games looked practically the same. If you're gonna play Cover-3, you BETTER know how to take away the seam.

I'm trying to figure out what Russell Wilson has to do with Pete's defense?.

That team wins despite their offense.

They draft well on defense my man...

They pretty much have their main needs locked up in contract already to run their d.

Earl Thomas allows kam to stay in the box...and they play press and draft 6'1-6'3 cbs that fit.

Russell Wilson ain't stopping their draft process..

Advertisement

They pretty much have their main needs locked up in contract already to run their d.

Earl Thomas allows kam to stay in the box...and they play press and draft 6'1-6'3 cbs that fit.

A lucrative QB contract limits how much money you have to spend on defensive talent. Wilson hasn't been making good QB money or good money, period. When he does have a big contract, are they going to be able to keep or restock that defense the same? That's what Wilson has to do with it all.

They have like 4 guys on D that are UFA's in 2016. Dealing with them plus Wilson will be impossible. Wouldn't be surprised if they even have to make cuts beyond that. Remember that Lil Russ somehow thinks he should be the highest paid player in the league.

Just saying that I'm waiting for the scheme to pass the first big test of salary cap ramifications before I completely credit it and not just this specific group of guys. There are a ton of NFL schemes that would be dominant if they weren't hampered by the salary cap.

I think part of the problem is, our guys know what the coverage takes away, but they don't know what they're giving up. The TDs down the seam in the NU and USC games looked practically the same. If you're gonna play Cover-3, you BETTER know how to take away the seam.

i.e. Nick Saban's "Rip/Liz Match". (versus 2x2 formation) Cover-3 that takes away the seams.

I've been running that coverage the past 2 seasons and it's been awesome. Only thing it's soft on is the outside hitches to the #1 receiver but if you're playing press bail most QB's won't attempt that throw.

This is a great post man. Spot on with what I've been saying for yearrrrrs.

Coaches get bored and wanna throw their whole playbook at opposing teams. I've talked to coaches who say "man I run everything", like they pride themselves on the thickness of their defensive playbook, but those type of guys are seldom GREAT at any one thing. IMO the more stuff you run, the more prone you are to confusing your own players and giving up big plays.

First thing I always install is my Cover-3. That Cover-3 has several different variants depending on offensive formation. We play it differently against 2x2, 3x1 and 21 Personnel...so essentially it's 3 different coverages...or 3 different ways of playing Cover-3. So how the **** can I move on to Cover-2, Quarters or combo coverages until my players have completely mastered Cover-3 against all formations and route combinations?

People always say "You can't run the same coverage majority of the game, you'll get eaten alive. You have to be multiple." I say BS. Why can't I run single-high majority of the game? If I'm varying the way that I run Cover-3, it seldom looks the same. My Cover-3 on 2nd down might look totally different than it did on 1st down. We'll roll differently, we'll align differently, we might be in an odd front, we might be in an even front, we might press, we might not.

Being great at ONE THING is much better than being mediocre/average at a bunch of things IMO.

Advertisement
[MENTION=5124]Coach Macho[/MENTION]...what defense does Oregon run? Watched em' a few times, and it looks 46-ish with the way they play their TNT in a 3-0-3...

To be honest, I don't know. I haven't watched them to that extent. I saw the NC game on TV last night and I noticed that they were in some sort of Odd Front.

I mentioned this in another thread, but our defense is not CLOSE to being in line w/ Seattle's defense.
First off, their DB's are pressed up (which is why a 4.7 40 DB is considered the best cover corner in the game).
Second, their Safeties are allowed to actually be in the play.
Third, they actually try to sack the QB from their front 3 or 4.
Fourth, their lbs are covering TE's and RB's out the backfield ONLY on passing downs.
Fifth, they actually have a coach who rolls the dice and believes that embarassing an opponent is a good thing.

I see none of that w/ our "NFL ready" defensive skeeeem.
This. I can't recall seeing Richard Sherman backpedaling 10 yards of cushion before every snap for the Seahawks.

Al Golden could have the 2013 Seahawks and still manage to lose 4 games.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back