Seattle Seahawks' defense

Advertisement
Advertisement
I mentioned this in another thread, but our defense is not CLOSE to being in line w/ Seattle's defense.
First off, their DB's are pressed up (which is why a 4.7 40 DB is considered the best cover corner in the game).
Second, their Safeties are allowed to actually be in the play.
Third, they actually try to sack the QB from their front 3 or 4.
Fourth, their lbs are covering TE's and RB's out the backfield ONLY on passing downs.
Fifth, they actually have a coach who rolls the dice and believes that embarassing an opponent is a good thing.

I see none of that w/ our "NFL ready" defensive skeeeem.

Seattle ain't about that wefense life. There's a cultural tornado a brewing up there, that's why good guy al sent little Brennan back to his dad. Plus Seattle has never had to face a quarterback as good as logan Thomas or that dude who's name I can't remember from Louisville this year. If anything Seattle is trying to play like al golden and mark dno

Dammit mane...

Defense 101: Understanding how the Seahawks play | The Seattle Times

Like all NFL teams, the Seahawks run a variety of defenses out of a number of formations based on game situation and the scheme and tendencies of the opponent.

But the core of Seattle’s defense is what is generally called a “4-3 Under’’ front, using four defensive linemen and three linebackers. Under means the four linemen are typically aligned away from the offense’s strong side (where the tight end lines up) with a linebacker stationed on the line of scrimmage on the strong side.

The secondary, meanwhile, relies heavily on what is called “Cover Three” or three-deep zone — three defensive backs splitting coverage into three sections.

Essentially, the cornerbacks cover the sides of the field outside the hash marks with free safety Earl Thomas responsible for the area between the hash marks (this has the advantage of allowing strong safety Kam Chancellor to play closer to the line of scrimmage).

Seattle uses many tweaks and variations. But the basic philosophy — specifically, the 4-3 Under front — has been with coach Pete Carroll since a stint as a graduate assistant at Arkansas in 1977 under defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin.

Carroll says he doesn’t remember any Eureka! moment when he decided this was the defense for him. Instead, the longer he coached it and worked with Kiffin (he was defensive coordinator at North Carolina State from 1980-82 when Kiffin was head coach), it just began to make sense.

“Everything that we do is exactly the same for as long as I can remember,’’ Carroll said recently. “We have adapted to our personnel, we have adapted to what the game calls for now. But it’s always come out of the same notebook that basically started back in the day in Arkansas.’’

Advertisement
Not to get too far off topic but let's see if the Seattle scheme passes the test of time when their QB starts making more than $50k a year. I'm not ready to lump ol Pete Carroll in with Buddy Ryan and **** Lebeau just yet as some sort of genius.

Advertisement
Not to get too far off topic but let's see if the Seattle scheme passes the test of time when their QB starts making more than $50k a year. I'm not ready to lump ol Pete Carroll in with Buddy Ryan and **** Lebeau just yet as some sort of genius.

You can't be serious right? Pete is the best coach in the nfl right now. dude built a dynasty at USC and is building another one in the nfl.

I mentioned this in another thread, but our defense is not CLOSE to being in line w/ Seattle's defense.
First off, their DB's are pressed up (which is why a 4.7 40 DB is considered the best cover corner in the game).
Fourth, their lbs are covering TE's and RB's out the backfield ONLY on passing downs.
Fifth, they actually have a coach who rolls the dice and believes that embarassing an opponent is a good thing.

This. I can't recall seeing Richard Sherman backpedaling 10 yards of cushion before every snap for the Seahawks.

This. I can't recall seeing Richard Sherman backpedaling 10 yards of cushion before every snap for the Seahawks.

backpedal? Our dbs turn around and take off running like somebody is shooting an ak47 at them.

Advertisement
So tired of hearing we run a similar style to their defense. do we really? because I dont see it!

maybe we don't have the athletes to do it. Like 2 safeties that instill fear in anyone coming across the middle, or a MLB like Wagner who can do it all. idk

Where are you hearing that UM runs a similar style?

Kirby mentioned it at ACC media day and I forgot the other player that mentioned it in the past

All Seattle runs is Cover-3 and Cover-1, and they play press technique in both. They're also aggressive up-front, they're not sitting there playing patty cake with offensive linemen.

We play some press-bail at Miami, just like Seattle, but that's the only similarity that I see.

As a DC in the NFL, Pete Carroll fielded #1 defenses a couple of times. Pete Carroll isn't some flash in the pan. He's been doing it forever.

with 7 wins this fall probably at least 2 more years. I see him padding his bank account for another year with 7 wins this fall. I don't see Blake firing him under those circumstances.

Advertisement
Back