Sean Taylor's Jersey #

jkh305

Sophomore
I am in the camp that believes it should be retired.

A compromise is to give it to the best senior on defense every year as voted on by the players.

Nothing against Rayshawn, Ray-Ray or Anthony Reddick, but it doesn't feel right seeing #26 on just any player. Having seen him live, most notably the FSU game in the rain, I don't want the younger fans to ever forget just how much of a once-in-a-generation type player he was. I always hear about who the "Next Sean Taylor" is, as if such a thing exists. It doesn't. There will only ever be one ST. It's time to honor him as such.

Happy Birthday, Sean Michael Maurice Taylor, Rest In Paradise.

Last edited:
Advertisement
200w_d.gif

Advertisement
I like the best senior idea. It would be pretty cool seeing a big DT wearing his number at some point.

Kids want to wear that jersey....it shouldn't be retired IMO

He already a legend his jersey being retired won't change it

Advertisement
Sean Taylor is one of the all time greats. But retiring the Jersey will only make people forget. And if your a great defensive player why would you wear some old guys number? Joe Jackson is suppose to want to wear #26 when he is making #99 great? And some our great players will never be seniors. You can not make people remember the past. And the beauty of college football are the new kids making their own way. When you see 26 out there it makes you remember the past players to wear it. And honestly I hope we go through another run her like we did from 1986-1991 and 1999-2004 where you would want to retire every jersey.

Sean Taylor is one of the all time greats. But retiring the Jersey will only make people forget. And if your a great defensive player why would you wear some old guys number? Joe Jackson is suppose to want to wear #26 when he is making #99 great? And some our great players will never be seniors. You can not make people remember the past. And the beauty of college football are the new kids making their own way. When you see 26 out there it makes you remember the past players to wear it. And honestly I hope we go through another run her like we did from 1986-1991 and 1999-2004 where you would want to retire every jersey.

Could just be DB's. Like LSU does with #7 .
Now that I say that, idk. Don't want to force a "tradition" that didn't already happen naturally.

Advertisement

Could just be DB's. Like LSU does with #7 .
Now that I say that, idk. Don't want to force a "tradition" that didn't already happen naturally.

It could also be a Junior in certain years if it's almost a certainty they are going pro.

You ask almost any kid in the tri-county who their favorite player is they say Sean. He epitomizes what it means to wear the "U" to them. Yet they can only wear his number if they get lucky and it's available the year they are an incoming recruit. The guy is an almost mythical figure to some of these kids, they deserve to rep it if they earn it through their play.

The main reason we got DJ Johnson is because of Sean's legacy, and he played DE in Cali! In a lot of ways he transcends football to these young men. At least that's how I see it. I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Retiring jerseys is tough in college football because you have 80 plus scholarship players, plus walkons, at any given year.
Only so many numbers to give out plus at a school like UM, with so many storied players, where do you draw the line?
Many folks could pose the same argument for Jerome Brown, Michael Irvin, Bernie Kosar and so on.
Let the jersey live on the field, worn by a valued player, in his honor.

Retiring jerseys is tough in college football because you have 80 plus scholarship players, plus walkons, at any given year.
Only so many numbers to give out plus at a school like UM, with so many storied players, where do you draw the line?
Many folks could pose the same argument for Jerome Brown, Michael Irvin, Bernie Kosar and so on.
Let the jersey live on the field, worn by a valued player, in his honor.
I agree. I will go even further by suggesting that we un-retire numbers that are currently retired. I've long thought that giving those numbers to players who have proven worthy of it was a great idea. The number should be honored but not pulled out of circulation.

Advertisement
Don't matter who wears it and how much they ball out, like 23, it'll always be associated with one player and one player only. In effect, it's already been retired if you think about it.

Retiring college jerseys? We would have to play with numbers in the 100s if we started doing that at this U.

We haven't had a player worthy enough of wearing that number since he left & we probably never will...

The people will forget argument is just bogus... No one will ever forget Sean Taylor & seeing another player in 26 isn't going to remind them of him.

He's an Icon & his legacy will never die, we don't need to trot out an undeserving player wearing #26 every year to keep ST fresh in people's memory, what he did on the field is everlasting.

None of these recruits are good enough to carry it on & the ones who really want to, need to earn it.

It doesn't matter who wears #23 , it will always be Jordan's number, same with #24 that's Kobe's forever regardless of who wears it after him.

#26 is Sean's number forever, everybody else wearing it is just them trying to be half as great as him & never actually succeeding at doing it.

Advertisement
Back