Sean Taylor's Jersey #

It represents the standard of how Hurricanes should play the game, and it should be something to strive for; wearing that #26 at the []_[].

Advertisement
Kids want to wear that jersey....it shouldn't be retired IMO

He already a legend his jersey being retired won't change it

I understand kids want to wear it, I just personally believe it should be earned.

A legacy that lives on as long as there's Cane's football. A reminder of what it means to play like a Miami Hurricane.

u know how many jerseys at miami should be earned? no one will have a number

Retiring college jerseys? We would have to play with numbers in the 100s if we started doing that at this U.

Was thinking about this and came up with this : start at 01/02/03/04 and so on...neat thing is when you get to ten and above we would be the only team with three numbers on jersey's. 026 lives on...

Advertisement
Great post and reasonable arguments. I personally would love to se it retired but having the best player of defense is a great alternative

[MENTION=14457]Liberty City El[/MENTION] Agree wholeheartedly. Hero's get remembered but legends never die.

[MENTION=3923]bear[/MENTION] Thanks. I appreciate it. Wrote from the heart, but wanted to keep other options open.

Advertisement
His tragic death does play a role. What sets him apart from the other great players mentioned is the respect from the Cane brotherhood. Not saying the others are not respected, but I have not seen one former player who does not get choked up when talking about his passing. I think it's because they know he may of well been on his way to becoming not only the greatest Cane ever but perhaps the greatest defender of all-time. He was only 24, playing at an all-pro level, not even in what would be considered his physical prime. There is an empty "What could have been.", like with many musicians who died too young.

This is not really a debate about retiring jersey numbers. I understand the roster dynamics of retiring numbers on the college level. I would just like to find a way to honor Sean.

Last edited:
His tragic death does play a role. What sets him apart from the other great players mentioned is the respect from the Cane brotherhood. Not saying the others are not respected, but I have not seen one former player who does not get choked up when talking about his passing. I think it's because they know he may of well been on his way to becoming not only the greatest Cane ever but perhaps the greatest defender of all-time. He was only 24, playing at an all-pro level, not even in what would be considered his physical prime. There is an empty "What could have been.", like with many musicians who died too young.

This is not really a debate about retiring jersey numbers. I understand the roster dynamics of retiring numbers on the college level. I just want to find a way to honor Sean.

I understand and respect your point about the impact Sean Taylor made to many of his friends, teammates, fans and younger players.
But so did Jerome Brown and others, and this is not meant to be a Jerome Brown vs Taylor argument.

One thing the Redskins did that I thought was cool was placing his locker at FedEx field.
Several of my friends who are Skins' fans have sent me pictures of it over the years.

seantaylorlocker710.jpg

taylorlockertop.jpg

[MENTION=608]MedleyCane[/MENTION] Great point. Obviously ST was more my era, so I have a deeper connection.

The Redskins have gone out of their way to remember Sean. The Locker, 10 men on the 1st play, etc. While on an administration level I feel the University is a few steps behind them.

It represents the standard of how Hurricanes should play the game, and it should be something to strive for; wearing that #26 at the []_[].

This. It should be awarded to the defensive captain every year. Part of ST26's legacy is his sudden and tragic death. Apart from his amazing plays, was the fact that he was just coming into his own as an NFL player after an elite college career. If these kids want to honor ST26 and play at UM, let them as long as they can keep up with what's expected of them while wearing 26

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Sean Taylor is deserving, but so are so many others.

Retire the JERSEY, not the actual number of those you feel are worthy.

That Way you can still keep the allure of wearing legends numbers in college.

Advertisement
Back