Scrimmage Notes

Advertisement
IMG_0001.jpeg

Because their coach is an offensive savant that took a terrible Plummer at QB and a bunch of holdovers, and won 10 games + made the ACCCG in year one.

Coaching always exceeds talent. And now he’s gotten a ton of help in the portal, including a very good RB in Perry Boone.

Is our roster more talented on paper? Absolutely. But is their HC better at creating mismatches on offense and exploiting defensive weaknesses? You bet.
I agree with everything you wrote except for the highlighted/bolded part. My brain goes right to Brady/Belichik. I know one example does not prove or disprove a point, but can you explain a little more what you mean by this? Are you talking college only? I read it as meaning a good coach will compensate for a lack of talent to the point where he can outcoach a lack of talent and I just don’t buy that.

This study says median return out of 28 nfl players with lisfranc injuries took 11month recovery.

Fletchers final game was 12/28. Minimum recovery time is like 10 months usually with max usually around 12.5 months. So we are looking at nov4-Jan14th return… median would put him at Early December

So Fletcher is getting redshirted no matter what. Only question is if he can play 4 games or even just the bowl game’s/playoff… though that probably isn’t even worth it

View attachment 286128
This has to be the most factually based, research backed, statistically relevant, non-emotional and still accurate post I’ve ever seen on CiS. Did you post to the wrong forum?

Advertisement
Advertisement
I agree with everything you wrote except for the highlighted/bolded part. My brain goes right to Brady/Belichik. I know one example does not prove or disprove a point, but can you explain a little more what you mean by this? Are you talking college only? I read it as meaning a good coach will compensate for a lack of talent to the point where he can outcoach a lack of talent and I just don’t buy that.
In college football an elite coach can get you 8-10 wins despite of a lack talent but can’t push over the hump of the top 5-7. This is proven, can’t get you a national title but can make you a great program.

Some examples:
Mike Gundy, multiple big 12 title games and 10+ win seasons

Kirk Ferentz, multiple big 10 title games and 10 win seasons

Mark stoops, brings a historically below average SEC program to 8-9 wins annually

short yardage package with Lofton and Artavius Jones leading at FB. No more getting stuffed on 3rd/4th & 1.

Lofton looks way different than DJ Williams. If I was an OC he could really give DC's fits because he can line up anywhere and create mismatches. I know the Greentree hype gets old, but he looks legit.

Advertisement
Yeah, no. The list of Greentree All-Americans that are hyped to the moon but never really do anything or completely underwhelm is 100x longer than what you just listed.

A single yet well known example, Jake Garcia. He was crowned for throwing a single pass in a spring game.
True but you said it yourself in the last sentence. Crowned for throwing one pass. CIS hyping kids for no real tangible reason other than perceived potential is extremely commonplace but the Lofton situation differs in that the staff, the media and just about everyone who has been in position of getting to see any practices or scrimmages have all been consistently effusive in their praise and specific examples are always provided for context. Lofton has been standing out since the beginning of spring practice and he has been very consistent.

Now does this mean that Lofton will get a huge role this season? Not necessarily but that doesn't mean that the reports about him this spring were exaggerated. I've noted that many times early spring success for a freshman doesn't translate to real games until the following season but everyone is different.

In college football an elite coach can get you 8-10 wins despite of a lack talent but can’t push over the hump of the top 5-7. This is proven, can’t get you a national title but can make you a great program.

Some examples:
Mike Gundy, multiple big 12 title games and 10+ win seasons

Kirk Ferentz, multiple big 10 title games and 10 win seasons

Mark stoops, brings a historically below average SEC program to 8-9 wins annually
I wasn’t asking you. I was asking @WeBallinBoyz who wrote it. He can answer for himself as I was curious where he was coming from.

That said, I completely disagree with you and your examples don’t make sense. Gundy, Ferentz and Stoops all coach at mediocre schools. Kentucky is a hoops school. Iowa and Ok State have been perennial also-rans for my entire life. Yet now those guys should be commended for being….also-rans??
Stoops is 73-65 in his career at UK, which is largely propped up by two 10 win seasons over the course of 11 seasons. He’s averaged six wins a year for the other nine seasons he’s been there.
Mike Gundy plays in a terrible conference that doesn’t play defense. After Texas and Oklahoma, who are both gone now, the level of competition is WAY lower. Iowa State. Kansas State. Kansas. West Virginia. These are equivalent to mid/lower ACC teams. Gundy has won at a higher clip than Stoops, but he’s finished about where they historically have - 3rd/4th place.
Iowa plays in the crappy half of the Big Ten. You know, the one without Michigan and without Ohio State? The same half without Penn State. Someone has to with the other half.

I’m not saying that those three suck - they do not. However I see nothing that makes me feel like they’re doing anything special to the art of coaching that nets more wins. Put another way, if you gave them all the same name, painted them the same color, shuffled them then re-assigned their schools, the net difference in wins would be zero. Aside from the GT game, who of that group are winning more with Miami’s team last season?

Who are the top coaches? In college, it’s the ones who can recruit as well as game day coach. Saban, Smart, Harbaugh, Urban Liar, and Lane Kiffin (I think). I realize a few names aren’t currently coaching college. I left them in because they’re recent examples of sustained elite coaching in college. Also realize that there are a couple newcomer names I’ve omitted - Kalen DeBoer, Rhett Lashlee, Ryan Day (puke) and Steve Sarkisian - but I want to see more from them before I lump them in with the rest. I have a super high threshold for what I consider elite, hence the question mark next to Lane. When Lane finally wins something meaningful, I’ll remove the question mark. Most of the rest of the coaches are jags.

As a related side note, I have a personal dislike of coach-worship as highlighted by New England Patriot fans over the last 20 years. I hope I didn’t come off as disrespectful as none was intended.

I wasn’t asking you. I was asking @WeBallinBoyz who wrote it. He can answer for himself as I was curious where he was coming from.

That said, I completely disagree with you and your examples don’t make sense. Gundy, Ferentz and Stoops all coach at mediocre schools. Kentucky is a hoops school. Iowa and Ok State have been perennial also-rans for my entire life. Yet now those guys should be commended for being….also-rans??
Stoops is 73-65 in his career at UK, which is largely propped up by two 10 win seasons over the course of 11 seasons. He’s averaged six wins a year for the other nine seasons he’s been there.
Mike Gundy plays in a terrible conference that doesn’t play defense. After Texas and Oklahoma, who are both gone now, the level of competition is WAY lower. Iowa State. Kansas State. Kansas. West Virginia. These are equivalent to mid/lower ACC teams. Gundy has won at a higher clip than Stoops, but he’s finished about where they historically have - 3rd/4th place.
Iowa plays in the crappy half of the Big Ten. You know, the one without Michigan and without Ohio State? The same half without Penn State. Someone has to with the other half.

I’m not saying that those three suck - they do not. However I see nothing that makes me feel like they’re doing anything special to the art of coaching that nets more wins. Put another way, if you gave them all the same name, painted them the same color, shuffled them then re-assigned their schools, the net difference in wins would be zero. Aside from the GT game, who of that group are winning more with Miami’s team last season?

Who are the top coaches? In college, it’s the ones who can recruit as well as game day coach. Saban, Smart, Harbaugh, Urban Liar, and Lane Kiffin (I think). I realize a few names aren’t currently coaching college. I left them in because they’re recent examples of sustained elite coaching in college. Also realize that there are a couple newcomer names I’ve omitted - Kalen DeBoer, Rhett Lashlee, Ryan Day (puke) and Steve Sarkisian - but I want to see more from them before I lump them in with the rest. I have a super high threshold for what I consider elite, hence the question mark next to Lane. When Lane finally wins something meaningful, I’ll remove the question mark. Most of the rest of the coaches are jags.

As a related side note, I have a personal dislike of coach-worship as highlighted by New England Patriot fans over the last 20 years. I hope I didn’t come off as disrespectful as none was intended.
You just made up for a bunch of excuses that have nothing to do with the actual coach’s ability to draw up X’s and O’s. I might as well just say that Urban Meyer, Saban, Kirby were all just paying players and their recruiting was money based.

There are always anomalies to examples, I mean Larry Coker and the 2001 team is a perfect one. A team so star-studded that not even a dunce could ***** it up. Urban was a monster recruiter but also a good coach, Saban and Kirby paid for guys but were (and still are) ferocious defensive wizards.

I’m not a Pats guy at all, but Bill’s defenses largely won them quite a few Super Bowls.

Point is very few teams consistently win when you’re not doing things during gameday to get those star players in advantageous situations. I mean we as a program should realize that the last 20+ years.

It’s why we consistently lose to better head coaches with far worse talent.

Advertisement
True but you said it yourself in the last sentence. Crowned for throwing one pass. CIS hyping kids for no real tangible reason other than perceived potential is extremely commonplace but the Lofton situation differs in that the staff, the media and just about everyone who has been in position of getting to see any practices or scrimmages have all been consistently effusive in their praise and specific examples are always provided for context. Lofton has been standing out since the beginning of spring practice and he has been very consistent.

Now does this mean that Lofton will get a huge role this season? Not necessarily but that doesn't mean that the reports about him this spring were exaggerated. I've noted that many times early spring success for a freshman doesn't translate to real games until the following season but everyone is different.
Let’s hope he is who they say he is.

The real issue that will get people upset is Old Man Cam taking the majority of the snaps and Lofton only comes in for 4-6 snaps per game.

However, let’s hope Dawson and Mario actually want a good offense and put the best players on the field.

Advertisement
Back