Scrimmage #1 chatter

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Here are some notable things I'm hearing from today's scrimmage.

Evan Shirreffs got hot towards the later part of the scrimmage. He had a deep ball touchdown to Dayall Harris and a beautiful back shoulder touchdown pass to Ahmmon Richards. As Richt noted, he did a good job of making some tough throws in the face of pressure.

Freshman DE Jonathan Garvin was matched up with George Brown on one play and sacked Jack Allison to force a fumble. He continues to impress.

Demetrius Jackson picked off a Jack Allison screen pass and took it all the way for a touchdown return.

Newly converted defensive tackle Patrick Bethel was very active, according to a source. His move inside could end up really benefiting the line in 2018.

Malek Young and JaQuan Johnson both had interceptions on the day.

I've heard that MLB Mike Smith was in on multiple tackles for loss, including a couple sacks. Sources say he looks fully healthy for the first time in his Miami career after entering UM with a bad knee injury. His progression could be big for Miami's depth at the position.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Is this the iron sharpening iron we hear so much about?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Advertisement
Lion Paw!

Rasta man Mike Smith original Rudebwoy mi fi lick shot for Bad man dem!

That's great to hear Garvin, Malek Young, Quan & Mike Smith all played great...

Mike was very serviceable for us last year in the backup MLB role & I think he'll continue to provide good relief man depth behind Shaq.

Malek will be playing in that Elder role & I think he'll have a huge year for us, especially with Delaney on the other side of him, you can also move him around to NCB with Dean & Delaney on the outside... Bandy will play a lot Nickel too when he gets here.

Always thought highly of Mike smith as a pass rusher. He was one of dade county's best we he came out of highschool

Advertisement
Advertisement
That's great to hear Garvin, Malek Young, Quan & Mike Smith all played great...

Mike was very serviceable for us last year in the backup MLB role & I think he'll continue to provide good relief man depth behind Shaq.

Malek will be playing in that Elder role & I think he'll have a huge year for us, especially with Delaney on the other side of him, you can also move him around to NCB with Dean & Delaney on the outside... Bandy will play a lot Nickel too when he gets here.

Das how i see it too. Dean and Delaney battle it out at field CB. Young and Jackson will battle it out at boundary. Bandy gets the nickel. Emergency 6th CB will be Mayes or even a safety switching down.

Michael Smith and Darrion Owens (and CJ Perry) will be invaluable as backups if they can get their shi* together. Steed needs time to recover from injury. So does Gordinier. Wilder needs to learn more than rushing the passer. Jennings is physically ready to contribute at MLB.

If Richt said the offense diddn't do well the first half but came back and did well in the 2nd half, wouldn't that mean Sheriffs didn't do that well since he go the 1st reps?

Another thing this scrimmage our qbs were live and we're allowed to be hit so of course some of the qbs didn't exactly perform great because they were going against that front 7. In the past like last year brad looked remarkable in scrimmages but remember he wasn't allowed to be touched either....

If Richt said the offense diddn't do well the first half but came back and did well in the 2nd half, wouldn't that mean Sheriffs didn't do that well since he go the 1st reps?

No... Listen to richts vid from today. First half started at the minus 25...second half they started at the plus 40 or so

Advertisement
Back