Scrimmage #1 chatter

View as article
Fact is if sheriffs and rosier was fsu or uf options to be qb miami fans would be talking tons of ****.

I think they're both superior to any bum the gaytors have trotted out at QB since Tebow graduated.

Advertisement
could you point to a few plays, specifically, in the highlights where you saw a lack of arm strength?

The corner route at 1:06 took FOREVER to get there. The throw at 4:23 also hung in the air a long time. Against faster college DBs those might not have been easy completions. That said, I'm still not convinced it's "arm strength" that is a problem, more of a release issue and a tendency to under-stride a bit on some of those long throws. Like when a pitcher gets caught "aiming" instead of pitching, if that makes sense.

Nothing like that at 1:06. Video is not long enough to get to 4:23. Are we looking at the same thing?(Edit: you were talking about his HS tape. Ignore post.) More interested in how he throws now.

Right, sorry! Yes in the UM practice video you can tell the ball is "jumping" out of his hands a bit more, which I love to see.

sherriffs had 39 TDs and 4 INTs in his high school career I read on here a couple days ago right?

why are people sleeping on those monster numbers?

Because he didn't come in with all the stars or hype. U know that recruiting hype = success on the field, right? With our Def., all we need out of our QB, is to NOT turn the ball over and we'll be fine. We're getting back to having Miami quality skill guys, and depth, all over the field. If Sherriffs is the guy that can get the ball to our playmakers and escape the pocket 3-4 times a game to pick up a first down, then I'll be good.

We need more than that. Kaaya didn't turn the ball over against UNC(he did at the end), but we still managed 13 points. Why? He missed easy throws all game. Njoku on 4th, Walton in the flats. There were 3 or 4 drives alone that had surefire TD passes on them that netted 0 points that game. We need a guy that will not turn the ball over and can also hit the open throws when they are there.

Exactly, thats why i was ****ed when people were saying richt called a bad game. I had this argument with Lu and challenged him to rewatch that game.

He didnt, he set us up perfectly in that game to score 30 or more points and Kaaya shid the bed. Period.
As I said then, I re-watched the game. I'd like for you to show me in links/video rather than your memories. There's my challenge to you. Kaaya missed throws, but Richt missed a number of opportunities throughout that game and against FSU. The offense was incredibly disjointed and he couldn't find any rhythm between playcall and formation use. I even said when we discussed that Richt's performance against UNC was actually better than against FSU. Still wasn't enough. I'm not sure why it's so difficult for some posters to lay any blame on Richt when he so graciously accepted his rust himself.

imo when forced out of the pocket he looks very uncomfortable and makes several throws off balance

based off of HS tape .... Perry >> Evens

Last edited:
Advertisement
Here's the Spring Spotlight video from ITU posted a few weeks back. Not much there, but at least we can compare some physical attributes and mechanics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hRShiDEHpE

- As others have pointed out,right away you can see Evan is much bigger than in HS, especially in the lower body
- In his stationary warm-up drills you can see he still has an elongated throwing motion, though not as slow as in HS :)26-40)
- Drops look good, nice quick feet :)41)
- You can see his elongated release right at the 1:00 mark when you compare it side-by-side with Weldon's. It's really subtle, but I went frame-by-frame just to really clue in on it. You can also see it in drills at 1:49. Again, it may not be something that even affects a game at all, I'm just looking at progression from HS to college and it looks like he's cleaned up his release some, but it's not as compact as say, Allison's or Weldon's. Of course, Shirreffs wasn't the one running 3rd team and throwing picks in the scrimmage either, so it's probably academic. ****, Rosier has an even slower release than Evan IMO and he's running with the 1s so there you go lol...

Nitpicking aside, Shirreffs looks like he's put on good weight and is pretty sound at least in the limited college drills we've seen. Again, if anyone else has a chance to see him "live" in college I'd love to hear more opinions.

Him and Irvin Jr. certainly did the Gus Felder thigh exercises.

sherriffs had 39 TDs and 4 INTs in his high school career I read on here a couple days ago right?

Because he didn't come in with all the stars or hype. U know that recruiting hype = success on the field, right? With our Def., all we need out of our QB, is to NOT turn the ball over and we'll be fine. We're getting back to having Miami quality skill guys, and depth, all over the field. If Sherriffs is the guy that can get the ball to our playmakers and escape the pocket 3-4 times a game to pick up a first down, then I'll be good.

We need more than that. Kaaya didn't turn the ball over against UNC(he did at the end), but we still managed 13 points. Why? He missed easy throws all game. Njoku on 4th, Walton in the flats. There were 3 or 4 drives alone that had surefire TD passes on them that netted 0 points that game. We need a guy that will not turn the ball over and can also hit the open throws when they are there.

Exactly, thats why i was ****ed when people were saying richt called a bad game. I had this argument with Lu and challenged him to rewatch that game.

He didnt, he set us up perfectly in that game to score 30 or more points and Kaaya shid the bed. Period.
I'm not sure why it's so difficult for some posters to lay any blame on Richt when he so graciously accepted his rust himself.
I personally believe that a lot of that has to do with the other extreme on this board.
There are few people around here who say Richt should give up his duties because he is way too "rusty" and should hire a real offensive coordinator fast.
The truth may lie somewhere in the middle of these polar opposites. We need to be patient.

Here's the Spring Spotlight video from ITU posted a few weeks back. Not much there, but at least we can compare some physical attributes and mechanics:

- As others have pointed out,right away you can see Evan is much bigger than in HS, especially in the lower body
- In his stationary warm-up drills you can see he still has an elongated throwing motion, though not as slow as in HS :)26-40)
- You can see his elongated release right at the 1:00 mark when you compare it side-by-side with Weldon's. It's really subtle, but I went frame-by-frame just to really clue in on it. You can also see it in drills at 1:49. Again, it may not be something that even affects a game at all, I'm just looking at progression from HS to college and it looks like he's cleaned up his release some, but it's not as compact as say, Allison's or Weldon's. Of course, Shirreffs wasn't the one running 3rd team and throwing picks in the scrimmage either, so it's probably academic. ****, Rosier has an even slower release than Evan IMO and he's running with the 1s so there you go lol...

Nitpicking aside, Shirreffs looks like he's put on good weight and is pretty sound at least in the limited college drills we've seen. Again, if anyone else has a chance to see him "live" in college I'd love to hear more opinions.

Weldon has one of the best releases I've seen in a college QB in a long time. That's a really tough standard for Shirreffs to live up to. Time will tell if that slow release and average arm will be his downfall in major P5 football.

Bernie Kosar had one of the weirdest releases ever, but it got the job done. That's all I want is the job done. The problem is when a guy thinks his release is that of Dan Marino, but isn't. If a guy knows what he can do with what he has, and doesn't pretend to be something he's not, he might be ok.

Advertisement

I'm not sure why it's so difficult for some posters to lay any blame on Richt when he so graciously accepted his rust himself.
I personally believe that a lot of that has to do with the other extreme on this board.
There are few people around here who say Richt should give up his duties because he is way too "rusty" and should hire a real offensive coordinator fast.
The truth may lie somewhere in the middle of these polar opposites. We need to be patient.
Listen, I get it. There is usually a "versus" mentality on a message board. I've never really been for or against Kaaya. And, I want Richt to succeed. I had re-watched that UNC game and there were two bigtime misses from Kaaya: Njoku on 4th down and a Richards throw he rushed in the 3rd quarter. There were also missed opportunities by Richt.

could you point to a few plays, specifically, in the highlights where you saw a lack of arm strength?

The corner route at 1:06 took FOREVER to get there. The throw at 4:23 also hung in the air a long time. Against faster college DBs those might not have been easy completions. That said, I'm still not convinced it's "arm strength" that is a problem, more of a release issue and a tendency to under-stride a bit on some of those long throws. Like when a pitcher gets caught "aiming" instead of pitching, if that makes sense.

Nothing like that at 1:06. Video is not long enough to get to 4:23. Are we looking at the same thing?(Edit: you were talking about his HS tape. Ignore post.) More interested in how he throws now.

Right, sorry! Yes in the UM practice video you can tell the ball is "jumping" out of his hands a bit more, which I love to see.

No doubt he was slinging some floaters on the longer passes in high school.

I would not be upset with Evan. The one thing we have heard going back to when he signed is how smart he is. He is cerebral, and that can be real scary for a D. You cant cross those guys up and you cant fool them twice. The way this team is built, there is so much star power, so much electricity around him that he just needs to be cerebral. If he takes care of the ball and just puts in the hands of playmakers, they will do the work for him. This team is built to win even with a game manager. I wanted Jack, but Evan can take this team far.

You can have success at the P5 level with a QB who doesn't have a strong arm. Certainly, having a rifle helps but if you're quick enough mentally, you can overcome physical limitations. I think more important than arm strength and release is quick decision making. A guy who can make all his reads and go through his progressions quickly is better than a guy with a strong arm that can't make up his mind or who forces throws into coverage. We've all seen the highlight videos of Allison letting it rip or Perry flicking it 40 yards downfield like nothing and that's awesome but right now, we need the guy who is going understand the nuances of the position and make the smart, quick decision.

Advertisement
I would not be upset with Evan. The one thing we have heard going back to when he signed is how smart he is. He is cerebral, and that can be real scary for a D. You cant cross those guys up and you cant fool them twice. The way this team is built, there is so much star power, so much electricity around him that he just needs to be cerebral. If he takes care of the ball and just puts in the hands of playmakers, they will do the work for him. This team is built to win even with a game manager. I wanted Jack, but Evan can take this team far.

When this program is at it's apex, a superstar qb is not required. A strong running game, incredible athletes at we, and a suffocating defense is the Miami recipe for winning. All that's needed is a qb that makes good decisions and can get the ball where it needs to be.

As I said then, I re-watched the game. I'd like for you to show me in links/video rather than your memories. There's my challenge to you. Kaaya missed throws, but Richt missed a number of opportunities throughout that game and against FSU. The offense was incredibly disjointed and he couldn't find any rhythm between playcall and formation use. I even said when we discussed that Richt's performance against UNC was actually better than against FSU. Still wasn't enough. I'm not sure why it's so difficult for some posters to lay any blame on Richt when he so graciously accepted his rust himself.

Ok, I can agree with you there, Canefam.

I don't think Richt should be absolved of any blame or fault. He is the head coach and the OC. He deserves every bit of it. I just think it should be explained in detail; especially coming from intelligent football minds like yourself because the people who dont see the game like you do will take your words run with it, and be on here calling for Richts head after his 1st year on the job.

IMO, the failure went hand in hand. I think Richt was all over the place because of the lack of execution.

Sometimes you need the plays to be executed because you may not get a chance to fool the defense again.

Richt did admit the rust, true. But he also admitted what i said all season was the issue.... He was unfamiliar with the players and their gameday ability.

Thank you for the clarity.

Advertisement

Listen, I get it. There is usually a "versus" mentality on a message board. I've never really been for or against Kaaya. And, I want Richt to succeed. I had re-watched that UNC game and there were two bigtime misses from Kaaya: Njoku on 4th down and a Richards throw he rushed in the 3rd quarter. There were also missed opportunities by Richt.

Ah, the "Mopes vs Slurpers" quarrel...

A feud as old as time itself.

Weldon has one of the best releases I've seen in a college QB in a long time. That's a really tough standard for Shirreffs to live up to. Time will tell if that slow release and average arm will be his downfall in major P5 football.

At the point, the kid's tape has been watched more closely than the zapruder film. ......

At any rate, I would be disappointed in any player that didn't get better from HS to college. He's done that, now let's see how far he goes from here.

"if you're making a list of the top 10 most important attributes for a great quarterback, arm strength is certainly on the list .... it's just not very near the top."

--- Howard Schnellenberger

No doubt he was slinging some floaters on the longer passes in high school.

And you see that in every HS tape from every qb. Most deep balls in HS don't involve dbs, as they are usually absent from the scene. I don't put any stock in those highlights.

Advertisement
Back