Scrimmage #1 chatter

View as article
I don't know what makes me laugh more, people who don't understand the RPO or people who think Perry is already the starter.

Maybe I can combine the two and say most people who think Perry is the starter believe it because they think his elusive running ability is best for the RPO.

Advertisement
Evan Sherrifs is probably the smartest kid on the team (32 ACT score).

That stuff kinda matters as a QB.

Kid had a very slow long delivery in HS. Not sure if that has changed.

With Smith and Owens looking sharper it really increases sorely needed LB depth . WIth Wilder coming in he doesnt have to be rushed into performing and will have some time to settle in.Its going to be an even better defense this year and that can really help the confidence of a young quarterback -knowing he doesn't have to produce miracles to win games.

yes .... definitely .... and it has, his mechanics are much better.

Advertisement
Was it 1s v. 1s or 1s v. 2s ?

Sarcasm or serious?

Pretty serious question, most cfb teams run 1s v. 2s, and Richt has done that before too.. Do you have an answer?

It was reported that Sherriffs took the first snaps on offense but if you look at the picture from the beginning of the scrimmage he's seen coming off the field with the second team. The second team defense is leaving the field and the first team defense is coming on. The entire first team offense is running on to the field and there is a QB(most likely Rosier) talking to Richt. Wouldn't be surprised if it was mix and match but at least at first it was 1s vs 1s and 2s vs 2s.

[TWEET]850704382463291392[/TWEET]

Is 87 on the left Mike Irvin II? OMG he has gotten huge!

Just because, here's Shirreffs' hudl highlights from 2015:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDBEwx0UwgM

A couple things stand out to me:

- Has a good, consistent throwing base - could stand a bit taller in the pocket sometimes but looks every inch of 6'5 in the video
- Throwing motion in the video (as has been stated) is a bit slow, though I don't notice any weird extra motions or hitching
- Some beautiful touch on his intermediate/deep passing :)19-32, :53, 1:06, 3:17, 3:46, 4:23)
- Throws a "catchable" slant/out/screen :)35, :42, 1:19, 2:46, 2:52, 2:59, 3:52, 4:12, 4:19, 4:29, 4:42, 4:53, 4:58) - not terribly zippy, but he can get it there and shows good anticipation and ball placement. Does tend to "wind up" more for these throws than on his touch passes - this could cause these passes to be dangerously late sometimes
- Throws a very nice fade - something I rarely see HS QBs excel at (1:01, 1:15, 2:04)
- I like the way he looked off the defense at 1:19 and 3:05 before throwing the tunnel screen, another good look-off at (2:15), and again at 5:05
- Good mechanics and footwork on rollouts - keeps his shoulders square (1:27, 3:31)
- Good pump-fake, but like his release it's slow (1:40, 2:23, 3:58)
- Shows some escapability - doesn't seem like he's going to be a big threat with foot speed, but he can get those 5-7 free yards when things break down, and still looks downfield to extend plays (1:48, 2:37, 3:23)
- Nice convincing playfakes (4:49)

Overall, if he can tighten up his release on short throws (if he hasn't already) he's got some nice mechanics and really good ball placement. Not a burner but seems to be someone you can rely on to shift the pocket and extend plays when necessary. I'd love to hear from somebody who has seen him throw at UM sometime in the last two years to chime in, since I'm working with HS video.

Last edited:

- Has a good, consistent throwing base - could stand a bit taller in the pocket sometimes but looks every inch of 6'5 in the video
- Throwing motion in the video (as has been stated) is a bit slow, though I don't notice any weird extra motions or hitching
- Some beautiful touch on his intermediate/deep passing :)19-32, :53, 1:06, 3:17, 3:46, 4:23)
- Throws a "catchable" slant/out/screen :)35, :42, 1:19, 2:46, 2:52, 2:59, 3:52, 4:12, 4:19, 4:29, 4:42, 4:53, 4:58) - not terribly zippy, but he can get it there and shows good anticipation and ball placement. Does tend to "wind up" more for these throws than on his touch passes - this could cause these passes to be dangerously late sometimes
- Throws a very nice fade - something I rarely see HS QBs excel at (1:01, 1:15, 2:04)
- I like the way he looked off the defense at 1:19 and 3:05 before throwing the tunnel screen, another good look-off at (2:15), and again at 5:05
- Good mechanics and footwork on rollouts - keeps his shoulders square (1:27, 3:31)
- Shows some escapability - doesn't seem like he's going to be a big threat with foot speed, but he can get those 5-7 free yards when things break down, and still looks downfield to extend plays (1:48, 2:37, 3:23)

Overall, if he can tighten up his release on short throws (if he hasn't already) he's got some nice mechanics and really good ball placement. Not a burner but seems to be someone you can rely on to shift the pocket and extend plays when necessary. I'd love to hear from somebody who has seen him throw at UM sometime in the last two years to chime in, since I'm working with HS video.

One obvious thing I will add. You can tell he has gotten a lot bigger since arriving. He's much thicker now than he was in those clips, which will only help in getting those 5-7 yards you mention.

His lack of arm strength is very clear. He doesnt have much velocity on his passes and on deep balls he kind of just lofts it in the air.

Arm strength isnt everything but the ball seems to travel kind of slow and that could be trouble at this level because guys are not going to be as open as they were in high school.

And vs more athletic defenses like fsu or vt they will probably play a lot of press man and try and force him to beat them going down the field. They likely will just sit on everything short.

If he has improved his release and has more zip he could pontentially be a solid player. Dont think he would put up big numbers but think he could potentially keep the turnovers down. Will definetly need a strong run game to compliment him.

Advertisement

His lack of arm strength is very clear. He doesnt have much velocity on his passes and on deep balls he kind of just lofts it in the air.

Arm strength isnt everything but the ball seems to travel kind of slow and that could be trouble at this level because guys are not going to be as open as they were in high school.

And vs more athletic defenses like fsu or vt they will probably play a lot of press man and try and force him to beat them going down the field. They likely will just sit on everything short.

If he has improved his release and has more zip he could pontentially be a solid player. Dont think he would put up big numbers but think he could potentially keep the turnovers down. Will definetly need a strong run game to compliment him.

actually, his arm strength, even as a HS player, was fine.

issues on the velocity of his throws have to do more with a mechanical adjustment, as it relates to his elbow placement on the one hand, and his plant foot on the other.

that's been fixed, plus, he's bigger and stronger now. besides, the most important thing is recognition and anticipation. that he has. if you look through even his HS tape, the speed of his progressions is impressive.

just remember, you can get stronger in the weight room, faster on the mat, bigger at the training table, and more experience on the field. you can fix a bad play, faulty mechanics, or a flawed drill.

but you can't fix stupid!!

this kid has it between the ears

issues on the velocity of his throws have to do more with a mechanical adjustment, as it relates to his elbow placement on the one hand, and his plant foot on the other.

This is basically what I was going to post. It seemed to me his lack of velocity was more related to his slow release and mechanics. Thanks for addressing this.

[MENTION=6970]RedSquare[/MENTION] you've alluded to Evan fixing his mechanics in a couple posts now. If you don't mind my asking, in what capacity have you seen him throw in high school and at UM?

[MENTION=6970]RedSquare[/MENTION] you've alluded to Evan fixing his mechanics in a couple posts now. If you don't mind my asking, in what capacity have you seen him throw in high school and at UM?

I watched his HS tape, .... which you analyzed really well, by the way .... and that showed me a few things pretty clearly.

but i did get a chance to watch him a bit this spring, just in some throwing drills and you can tell his overall physicality has changed. how that may translate with the pads on and when bullets are flying, that i don't know yet.

Advertisement

This is basically what I was going to post. It seemed to me his lack of velocity was more related to his slow release and mechanics. Thanks for addressing this.
Kaaya said he made adjustments to his throwing mechanics this spring and it's helping his game a lot. He has a more compacted release and shortened arm delivery.

could you point to a few plays, specifically, in the highlights where you saw a lack of arm strength?

Here's the Spring Spotlight video from ITU posted a few weeks back. Not much there, but at least we can compare some physical attributes and mechanics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hRShiDEHpE

- As others have pointed out,right away you can see Evan is much bigger than in HS, especially in the lower body
- In his stationary warm-up drills you can see he still has an elongated throwing motion, though not as slow as in HS :)26-40)
- Drops look good, nice quick feet :)41)
- You can see his elongated release right at the 1:00 mark when you compare it side-by-side with Weldon's. It's really subtle, but I went frame-by-frame just to really clue in on it. You can also see it in drills at 1:49. Again, it may not be something that even affects a game at all, I'm just looking at progression from HS to college and it looks like he's cleaned up his release some, but it's not as compact as say, Allison's or Weldon's. Of course, Shirreffs wasn't the one running 3rd team and throwing picks in the scrimmage either, so it's probably academic. ****, Rosier has an even slower release than Evan IMO and he's running with the 1s so there you go lol...

Nitpicking aside, Shirreffs looks like he's put on good weight and is pretty sound at least in the limited college drills we've seen. Again, if anyone else has a chance to see him "live" in college I'd love to hear more opinions.

Advertisement
could you point to a few plays, specifically, in the highlights where you saw a lack of arm strength?

The corner route at 1:06 took FOREVER to get there. The throw at 4:23 also hung in the air a long time. Against faster college DBs those might not have been easy completions. That said, I'm still not convinced it's "arm strength" that is a problem, more of a release issue and a tendency to under-stride a bit on some of those long throws. Like when a pitcher gets caught "aiming" instead of pitching, if that makes sense.

The corner route at 1:06 took FOREVER to get there. The throw at 4:23 also hung in the air a long time. Against faster college DBs those might not have been easy completions. That said, I'm still not convinced it's "arm strength" that is a problem, more of a release issue and a tendency to under-stride a bit on some of those long throws. Like when a pitcher gets caught "aiming" instead of pitching, if that makes sense.

Nothing like that at 1:06. Video is not long enough to get to 4:23. Are we looking at the same thing?(Edit: you were talking about his HS tape. Ignore post.) More interested in how he throws now.

From just the short videos, it looks like he's made marked improvement in his release. If he doesn't win the job or find success in college, it's to a point where I doubt it will be because of his current throwing mechanics. Can still use some work on his footwork and base, it seems. As always, gotta see live action.

sherriffs had 39 TDs and 4 INTs in his high school career I read on here a couple days ago right?

why are people sleeping on those monster numbers?

Because he didn't come in with all the stars or hype. U know that recruiting hype = success on the field, right? With our Def., all we need out of our QB, is to NOT turn the ball over and we'll be fine. We're getting back to having Miami quality skill guys, and depth, all over the field. If Sherriffs is the guy that can get the ball to our playmakers and escape the pocket 3-4 times a game to pick up a first down, then I'll be good.

We need more than that. Kaaya didn't turn the ball over against UNC(he did at the end), but we still managed 13 points. Why? He missed easy throws all game. Njoku on 4th, Walton in the flats. There were 3 or 4 drives alone that had surefire TD passes on them that netted 0 points that game. We need a guy that will not turn the ball over and can also hit the open throws when they are there.

Exactly, thats why i was ****ed when people were saying richt called a bad game. I had this argument with Lu and challenged him to rewatch that game.

He didnt, he set us up perfectly in that game to score 30 or more points and Kaaya shid the bed. Period.

Advertisement
Back