Scrimmage #1 chatter

View as article
Despite his big numbers Shirriefs only had offers from Columbia and Virginia Military. I mean c'mon, are we seriously trying to argue that he belongs here? If Richt was coach, neither Rosier or him would have been Canes

Waits for the stars don't matter argument

Well, Richt IS the coach and hasn't run them off, so what does that tell you? He has a 4 star QB on the roster that can't pass either one on the depth chart. Maybe, just maybe Mark Richt knows a little more about the QB position than so, I don't know, you?

Dumb argument. He hasn't run them off because he has no one to replace them with yet. When did I say Richt doesn't know what he is doing? This isn't his doing.

Miami and UGA interested in emerging QB prospect | College recruiting blog

Some interesting names in there. Might do you good to read it.

Advertisement
Despite his big numbers Shirriefs only had offers from Columbia and Virginia Military. I mean c'mon, are we seriously trying to argue that he belongs here? If Richt was coach, neither Rosier or him would have been Canes

Well, Richt IS the coach and hasn't run them off, so what does that tell you? He has a 4 star QB on the roster that can't pass either one on the depth chart. Maybe, just maybe Mark Richt knows a little more about the QB position than so, I don't know, you?

Dumb argument. He hasn't run them off because he has no one to replace them with yet. When did I say Richt doesn't know what he is doing? This isn't his doing.

Richt didnt offer him tho.

Because they weren't taking a QB in 2015, since they had their future QB in Eason coming in 2016. They were interested in him, but it was a numbers situation. He is not some scrub that so many people try to make him out to be.

Because they weren't taking a QB in 2015, since they had their future QB in Eason coming in 2016. They were interested in him, but it was a numbers situation. He is not some scrub that so many people try to make him out to be.

Instead of a guy with no major offers, Richt had the #1 QB in the bag

Just more proof he wouldn't be here if Richt was coach at the time

Richt most likely will favor N'Kosi who I'd say should be the favorite at this point.

Advertisement
Is Evan fast? Cause if not that RPO will fail us again.

Shirreffs isn't dual threat like Rosier. But he's more than athletic enough to run the RPO or play action. The only real knock on him is his arm strength. I have to see him in game action to know if he's capable of making college reads and throws. But the reports from scrimmage are certainly encouraging.

The same could be said for Kosar, Walsh, Toretta and Dorsey...but they all made plays. In fact the only ones with that had better than average arm strength (that accomplished anything) were Mira, Testaverdi and Ericson.

He's faster and more athletic than people think. I had found an online newspaper a while back that had a writeup about his first start, in which he had a 70 yard TD run. After the game he told his coach something like, "See? I told you I could run." That is encouraging after sitting through year after year of QBs not having ANY faith in their running ability. So yeah, he's not an immobile stiff. He might not have Kaaya's arm, but at least he's not afraid to take off with the darn ball when it's available. That alone will be a welcome sight, if he happens to win the job.

Quite frankly, any of our QBs will be an upgrade in the mobility department over Kaaya. Only question is, and it's a big one, can they make enough plays with their arms?

You can say this about any QB. In fact, it is the key question for the QB position. For a QB, there are many ways to "make plays". As the above attests, it's not always necessary having superior arm strength (although it helps). What the above four had in common (besides national championship rings) was an advantage between their ears. Despite playing with physical limitations, they knew how to get the ball to teammates (many of whom were difference makers themselves) to make plays on a consistent basis. IMO, that's the critical success factor for QB.

IMO that's why this on-going debate (dual threat versus pro-style) that's in the background of every QB discussion misses the point. Unless they have that mental aspect down, every dual threat QB in history has got their butts kicked when up against a really good defense (which usually happens in a championship game). They "make enough plays", they win, we cheer, ... how they do it is merely for style points (which don't count in the final score).

Shirreffs isn't dual threat like Rosier. But he's more than athletic enough to run the RPO or play action. The only real knock on him is his arm strength. I have to see him in game action to know if he's capable of making college reads and throws. But the reports from scrimmage are certainly encouraging.

The same could be said for Kosar, Walsh, Toretta and Dorsey...but they all made plays. In fact the only ones with that had better than average arm strength (that accomplished anything) were Mira, Testaverdi and Ericson.

He's faster and more athletic than people think. I had found an online newspaper a while back that had a writeup about his first start, in which he had a 70 yard TD run. After the game he told his coach something like, "See? I told you I could run." That is encouraging after sitting through year after year of QBs not having ANY faith in their running ability. So yeah, he's not an immobile stiff. He might not have Kaaya's arm, but at least he's not afraid to take off with the darn ball when it's available. That alone will be a welcome sight, if he happens to win the job.

Quite frankly, any of our QBs will be an upgrade in the mobility department over Kaaya. Only question is, and it's a big one, can they make enough plays with their arms?

You can say this about any QB. In fact, it is the key question for the QB position. For a QB, there are many ways to "make plays". As the above attests, it's not always necessary having superior arm strength (although it helps). What the above four had in common (besides national championship rings) was an advantage between their ears. Despite playing with physical limitations, they knew how to get the ball to teammates (many of whom were difference makers themselves) to make plays on a consistent basis. IMO, that's the critical success factor for QB.

IMO that's why this on-going debate (dual threat versus pro-style) that's in the background of every QB discussion misses the point. Unless they have that mental aspect down, every dual threat QB in history has got their butts kicked when up against a really good defense (which usually happens in a championship game). They "make enough plays", they win, we cheer, ... how they do it is merely for style points (which don't count in the final score).

My point was the QB we just had could make plays with his arm, but often couldn't keep plays alive with his feet. I believe every QB we have on the roster, including Perry and Sitkowski on the way, will be more mobile than Kaaya. They just need to prove they can do more than be more mobile than Kaaya, since that's not hard to do. They need to, like the other QBs you mentioned, actually be able to get it done through the air. Of course every QB has to do this, I'm just saying we need one to step up and DO it.

Richt most likely will favor N'Kosi who I'd say should be the favorite at this point.

Nkosi will be the starter in 2018. He'll be either second or third in 2017, depending on whether the loser of the Shirreffs/Rosier battle transfers now or next year.

My point was the QB we just had could make plays with his arm, but often couldn't keep plays alive with his feet. I believe every QB we have on the roster, including Perry and Sitkowski on the way, will be more mobile than Kaaya. They just need to prove they can do more than be more mobile than Kaaya, since that's not hard to do. They need to, like the other QBs you mentioned, actually be able to get it done through the air. Of course every QB has to do this, I'm just saying we need one to step up and DO it.

I know you are being kind here but I think it wouldnt be too far fetched to say every QB who has ever played at Miami or will ever play at Miami will be more mobile than Kaaya. :)

Advertisement

IMO that's why this on
-going debate (dual threat versus pro-style) that's in the background of every QB discussion misses the point. Unless they have that mental aspect down, every dual threat QB in history has got their butts kicked when up against a really good defense (which usually happens in a championship game). They "make enough plays", they win, we cheer, ... how they do it is merely for style points (which don't count in the final score).

My point is that, for a QB, being mobile is almost a non-factor (so far as winning games is concerned). We've won before with immobile QB's. Kosar ran like a wounded duck. He was probably less mobile than Kayaa. But he could process things quickly and make the right play. That's the critical skill set. QB is the unique position where all other factors are secondary (a distant second I might add).

Richt himself said he's making a decision based on who runs his offense the best. My sense is that he values decision making above the other criteria that everyone's bantered about (e.g., he wants "his" guy, he wants someone with wheels, etc.). I hope he sticks with it ... and may the best man win.

Man, we don't need Cam Newton or Andrew Luck back there. We just need a guy who --

1. Won't throw stupid *** interceptions (ex: Kaaya's before half against FSU).
2. Can prolong a play here or there by moving around in the pocket or occasionally scrambling for a 10 yard pick up a few times a game.
3. Get the ball out of his hands to the playmakers and let them do the work (the Bowl game for example was broken open on a simple route Richards who housed it).

I think you can get the above with one of Evan, Malik, or Jack at the very least.

If we play fast, the OL holds up and cuts out the boneheaded penalties,, and Richt has shaken off the rust, I don't see many teams being able to hang with us this season.

Advertisement

Never said he was a scrub. But he isnt as good as some are trying to convince themselves he is. Numbers or not if a coach thinks a guy can be good they figure some out. Its obvious richt didnt think he had that high of a ceiling. If rosen would have told richt he wanted to go to uga i bet that numbers issue would have got figured out.

Advertisement
Man, we don't need Cam Newton or Andrew Luck back there. We just need a guy who --

1. Won't throw stupid *** interceptions (ex: Kaaya's before half against FSU).
2. Can prolong a play here or there by moving around in the pocket or occasionally scrambling for a 10 yard pick up a few times a game.
3. Get the ball out of his hands to the playmakers and let them do the work (the Bowl game for example was broken open on a simple route Richards who housed it).

I think you can get the above with one of Evan, Malik, or Jack at the very least.

If we play fast, the OL holds up and cuts out the boneheaded penalties,, and Richt has shaken off the rust, I don't see many teams being able to hang with us this season.

Playing qb isnt that easy. Every coach wants that from the qb but as simple as it sounds most qbs cant do that well.

sherriffs had 39 TDs and 4 INTs in his high school career I read on here a couple days ago right?

why are people sleeping on those monster numbers?

Because he didn't come in with all the stars or hype. U know that recruiting hype = success on the field, right? With our Def., all we need out of our QB, is to NOT turn the ball over and we'll be fine. We're getting back to having Miami quality skill guys, and depth, all over the field. If Sherriffs is the guy that can get the ball to our playmakers and escape the pocket 3-4 times a game to pick up a first down, then I'll be good.

We need more than that. Kaaya didn't turn the ball over against UNC(he did at the end), but we still managed 13 points. Why? He missed easy throws all game. Njoku on 4th, Walton in the flats. There were 3 or 4 drives alone that had surefire TD passes on them that netted 0 points that game. We need a guy that will not turn the ball over and can also hit the open throws when they are there.

That was last year man. This is a new team with better talent and depth; you have to wait and see how things develop. Miami Championships weren't won with world-beating, difference-making QBs. We had smart QBs surrounded by talent who understood how to win and great defenses.

Advertisement
Back