SCORE PREDICTION --- Canes - A&M

To the "now a&m will be super focused and mad" crowd - what was stopping them from "getting mad" when they were tied 14-14 at halftime against a funbelt team? (really, they should've been down 14-7, but appy did the one thing you can't do after scoring that td late in the half - kick to Achane) Why did they roll over and just get killed by 1,000 cuts? As opposed to coming out of the locker room, poised, focused, ready to dominate - thereby dispatching of the outmatched, scrappy opponent by a score of 23-0 in the final 30 minutes. That's possible. I've seen it happen...

Perhaps they just aren't a very good football team (one win against Bama 10 months ago and the preseason secsecsec hype machine #6 ranking, notwithstanding). Shoutout to SouthParkCane for letting us know first. The defense is talented, sure - but nothing about that DJ Durkin scheme is scary. Also, you could have the talent advantage at 22/22 positions and more 5*s on your roster today then your opponent will have throughout history, but if your qb can't hit the red part of a freshly painted barn, you are going to struggle against pretty much anybody - i.e. Texas A&M v. App State, ca. September 10, 2022.

I just can't wrap my head around all of the people that need to see it from Miami before they rid themselves of their ptsd - but those same folks think a&m is just going to flip a switch and not be the team that loses 4 games a year. Neither of these teams are hoisting the crystal football come January 2023. We have holes they can exploit, they have holes we can exploit. Earn them checks, Mario & co.

Is it the 100k screaming cultist yokels and milkmen galivanting about as "cheerleaders" that are supposed to scare us? (honestly, College Station gives me some Nuremberg ca. 1934 vibes - so it is actually kinda scary... but, I digress)

22-13. Canes. Yes. 22 - 1 TD, 1 PAT and 5 field goals. That way there is still a little bit of red meat for the fire Gattis crowd to chew on.

Advertisement
Four key points going into this game:
  1. A&M's Offense has been anemic through two weeks. They've had terrible QB and OL play. They've got absolutely nothing going in the run game. App State mauled them in the trenches and beat them on physicality. A&M is big and talented, but they're not going to just figure it out in less than a week because they're playing us.

2. There's no guarantee these guys will come out "fired up" because their "backs are against the wall." We could very well punch them in the mouth early, and they fold. We've seen what happens in the past when a Jimbo locker room loses faith. Maybe he's learned on this end, but at FSU, when things got bad, those teams threw in the towel.

3. How Gattis' offense measures up is TBD. We've played six decent/solid quarters of offensive football. Our playbook will open up this week. Additionally, that one bad half of offensive football helped in two key ways: 1) it was a stress test on our two deep, and 2) helped the staff better evaluate which personnel/lineup works best for our O in a real game setting. Better to have had our first struggles against Southern Miss than against A&M.

4. Has there been a program that's done so little with so much? Here are A&M's class rankings since Jimbo's (not including 2018) been there:
    1. 2019 - #4
    2. 2020 - #6
    3. 2021 - #8
    4. 2022 - #1
Since Jimbo's been there, they've averaged the #5 class in the country. They're not going 8-4 consistently because of a lack of talent. They're losing games because of coaching, culture, and Jimbo's inability to find a QB. In years past, any competent staff would be miles above ours, but that's not the case anymore. Our staff is still learning how to gel, but we're no longer destined to get outcoached. There's a reason why multiple analysts have ranked our staff as one of the best in the country.​

Is there a decent chance we go into Kyle Field and lose? Absolutely. Can our O fall flat, and A&M come out with a win? Sure. However, from the limited gameplay/data we've seen to date, we have a solid chance of pulling a W here. I understand the PTSD with past out-of-conference away games. The past doesn't matter, though. At some point, this staff and program will turn a corner by getting a win like this.

Superb post. If it were HS talent vs. HS talent, they'd beat us by 2 scores. But Jimbo has been living off of Winston and Cook for years now. He's just not a great coach and doesn't instill a winning culture.

A team with some elite platers and a quality defense but a mediocre QB and a mediocre OL can win games (see Richt / Rosier in 2017). But they hit a wall at some point. And this particular team with this particular coach has already been flattened by that wall.

27-24 Miami on a Borregales field goal to win it late in the 4th quarter.

Advertisement
D7C2143B-1351-447F-94CC-803F057B19E0.png

I felt pretty good about this game as long as King was starting but now with him and X out visions bleek mane

Advertisement
Advertisement
If our corners show up to the party, This will get ugly fast. Think the O-line and D-line is going to Dominate. Plus we got a lot of skill players from the CRIB who played in big games all they life since optimist.

Advertisement
Before the season I said 9-3 and this was one of the losses. Obviously if we win this accelerates the road back dramatically.

29 TAMU
20 Miami

We don’t know what this team is going to do when punched in the mouth. A&M is probably going to try and strike quick an early. If Mario and co. has the defense ready from the jump we could sneak out of there with a win. But too much has to break our way and even then it’d be a nail biter.

Advertisement
Back