Schefter: CFB is going to happen this season

Advertisement
Follow the money.

No way in **** the NCAA was about to let BILLIONS of dollars go down the drain.

Maybe they'll move the season back to October or something, but make no mistake about it, we playing some **** college ball this year.

Exactly. Anyone who actually thought college football would not be played this season needs to pass along that good stuff.

I personally have no idea how the **** this is going to break in relation to when sports will return but this is a bad omen if* remotely accurate:

I can absolutely see games being played with no fans in the stands for at least a piece of the season if not the whole thing. Conferences and schools get the big money from the networks but obviously take a hit on the attendance/concessions side.

I can absolutely see games being played with no fans in the stands for at least a piece of the season if not the whole thing. Conferences and schools get the big money from the networks but obviously take a hit on the attendance/concessions side.

if that happens, should be interesting to see arguments from schools that previously used attendance as a reason why they didnt wanna play us (UFs old AD (maybe current cant remember) cited this as a reason why they didnt wanna come back to miami to play us -- they lose out on a mill plus in revenue from giving up that home game.

Fy6g.gif

Advertisement
I personally have no idea how the **** this is going to break in relation to when sports will return but this is a bad omen if* remotely accurate:

It's my understanding that poll was like 700 people total, of which 200+ were reached by landlines, and the phrasing was would you attend a game "soon" with no further definition of what soon means. I wouldnt take too much from that. Though, of course, this whole thing will impact stadium turnout to some level.

It's my understanding that poll was like 700 people total, of which 200+ were reached by landlines, and the phrasing was would you attend a game "soon" with no further definition of what soon means. I wouldnt take too much from that. Though, of course, this whole thing will impact stadium turnout to some level.

if thats the case then yeah, but realistically, can anyone see people attending large events this fall (70k mashed into stadium when more and more people have been staying home before this -- NFL and CFB attendance has been declining due to the in home experience being far superior)

if thats the case then yeah, but realistically, can anyone see people attending large events this fall (70k mashed into stadium when more and more people have been staying home before this -- NFL and CFB attendance has been declining due to the in home experience being far superior)

No tailgating = no reason for 90% of fans to go

Advertisement
Well, looky here...

tenor.gif

We've got 5 months to figure this out and start the season on time. Think about how much has happened in the last two weeks, and put that in the context of how different the world can be in five months. Don't be a prisoner of the moment and of panic. Think.

Yeah, the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter, and it's not an oncoming train. It never was.
But I was told to live in fear. And that light at the end of the tunnel is obviously that which we see when dying. I can't even get a hug due to social distancing.

Follow the money.

No way in **** the NCAA was about to let BILLIONS of dollars go down the drain.

Maybe they'll move the season back to October or something, but make no mistake about it, we playing some **** college ball this year.

... and no way would the universities lose out on TV-based revenue streams.

Even if you play without a crowd—TV viewership still goes up and conferences / universities get paid.

TV revenue is just too big to flush down the drain; and from a PR-perspective, you can easily spin a no-crowd version of the game—giving pent up people something to do.

Same way sports brought New York back after 9/11—football in fall is a must for people's psyches. 100% this is happening, someway, somehow.

... and no way would the universities lose out on TV-based revenue streams.

Even if you play without a crowd—TV viewership still goes up and conferences / universities get paid.

TV revenue is just too big to flush down the drain; and from a PR-perspective, you can easily spin a no-crowd version of the game—giving pent up people something to do.

Same way sports brought New York back after 9/11—football in fall is a must for people's psyches. 100% this is happening, someway, somehow.
9/11 isn't a **** virus. Just stop with the goofy ****. 👀 you can't compare those two

Advertisement
Gotta be really careful before getting back to normal. A few weeks ago Singapore was held up as a model for contains the virus. Now cases are spiking. Hong King had a relapse, too.
This thing may last longer than you might think.
(The Spanish Flu came in three waves.)

i did see that. all i can say is that those execs are dumb as rocks if they cant figure out a basic internet connection and cloud video services (spare me on security, theyre drafting players not relaying top secret info)

Honestly, don't get me started on what it really is.

What I will say is we should all be rooting for the NFL.

Gotta be really careful before getting back to normal. A few weeks ago Singapore was held up as a model for contains the virus. Now cases are spiking. Hong King had a relapse, too.
This thing may last longer than you might think.
(The Spanish Flu came in three waves.)

thats the biggest thing and what has been relayed. i think we all know well prolly be under shelter through may. i do think june may be when they start gradually opening stuff up again. dont see a grand opening type deal for a few months tho. hopefully we have football back in any form but i think thatll depend on governors and the schools themselves. well see where we are come august. since some schools have already cancelled all on campus stuff through the summer, i figure at the earliest fall camp starts in august/sept (if were all open by then) and a season begins in octoberish (thats on the idea that best case scenario occurs). maybe to limit travel an october season consists of only conference games and all nonconference games gets wiped out (would be easier for teams as well since the october/november portion is mostly conference games)

Advertisement
thats the biggest thing and what has been relayed. i think we all know well prolly be under shelter through may. i do think june may be when they start gradually opening stuff up again. dont see a grand opening type deal for a few months tho. hopefully we have football back in any form but i think thatll depend on governors and the schools themselves. well see where we are come august. since some schools have already cancelled all on campus stuff through the summer, i figure at the earliest fall camp starts in august/sept (if were all open by then) and a season begins in octoberish (thats on the idea that best case scenario occurs). maybe to limit travel an october season consists of only conference games and all nonconference games gets wiped out (would be easier for teams as well since the october/november portion is mostly conference games)
I personally don't believe many states will remain locked down through May. In fact, I believe you'll see some states lift their lockdown as soon as May 1.

I personally don't believe many states will remain locked down through May. In fact, I believe you'll see some states lift their lockdown as soon as May 1.

we'll see. most projections have better results if we stay under stay at home for another 30 days following April 30, which makes sense esp since some states are farther ahead in their peak than others.

Advertisement
Back