Saturday practice buzz

Advertisement
- Jacolby George is starting to separate from the pack. He snatched a 50/50 ball from Te’Cory Couch and consistently makes plays.

- There was no full scrimmage but they had a short full-contact period. Thad Franklin had the best run, bouncing off the first-team defense and finishing with physicality. I like him as the lead back if his mind is right. Cody Brown scored an off-tackle TD against the backups.

- TVD threw a laser to Restrepo in the end zone. Their confidence is off the charts.

- Jaleel Skinner has been catching balls from all the QBs and is more advanced than expected. The tight end group is one of the strongest on the team. Khalil Brantley caught a TD during red zone work and Don Mammarelli is enormous as a blocking TE.

- Waynmon Steed is really stepping up and solidifying his starting spot, along with Keontra Smith. Not a lot of rotating thus far. Wesley Bissainthe had a big TFL on an end-around to Brashard Smith (as described by @BigCaneAl) and Gil Frierson also had a well-timed tackle in the backfield.

- The battle to watch on offense is Logan Sagapolou (started today) versus Ousman Troure. Jalen Rivers and John Campbell are already getting work so that position is about to get tight.

- Expect to see several more Portal additions, especially on defense. Offense is way ahead right now and injuries are exposing depth issues.

- Overall, practice is more physical. More drilling for taking on/getting off blocks, more gap runs, more run-defense team drills. The key now is acquiring more talent and building up the roster.
Great report and thanks. But I'm curious as to who and where these "quality" Portal additions will come from? Is there really enough high caliber Portal talent remaining or coming available that can add quality or starting potential depth where needed?

Great report and thanks. But I'm curious as to who and where these "quality" Portal additions will come from? Is there really enough high caliber Portal talent remaining or coming available that can add quality or starting potential depth where needed?
Coaches expect an influx after spring. We will be aggressive.

Advertisement
Our team is defined by the QBs. TVD and Garcia are excellent.

Our defense is very similar to last year right now. Needs more development and more talent.

true.

but i do expect us to actually play better and be more consistent on defense, even if the talent and depth are mostly equivalent.

fact is, we will be better coached, better conditioned, and play with more mental discipline

true.

but i do expect us to actually play better and be more consistent on defense, even if the talent and depth are mostly equivalent.

fact is, we will be better coached, better conditioned, and play with more mental discipline

This. The fact that are defensive staff is infinitely better, that alone will help us win 1-2 extra games

Advertisement
Our team is defined by the QBs. TVD and Garcia are excellent.

Our defense is very similar to last year right now. Needs more development and more talent.
****, just better tackling alone would've brought two more wins last year. I can't decide if I'm more interested in seeing our offense blow up or seeing our defense return to form. lol who am I kidding, I can't wait to see us boat race acc teams.

Advertisement
Rb room is crowded. No way all 5 guys see the field, and even 4 is unlikely.

1648392228845.png

Advertisement
If we can grab 1 more DT and DE, then we should be in a solid shape. Both of them don't have to be starters or stars, just solid enough to be good back ups and to add more depth.
I don't disagree with you re DT and DE, but if we are talking front 7, I think more important is finding a LB.

Advertisement
Back