Saturday practice buzz

Advertisement
It's very possible that he could have but I don't know nearly enough to say that for certain. Even assuming he did play it wrong I'm ok with it. He had a very difficult task coming into the cultural mess left by his predecessor and some casualties we're inevitable. Considering everything that Mario has brought to and has interjected into the program on multiple levels I can certainly live with the occasional honest mistake.
I didn’t even say it was a mistake. Who knows what happened. I just say he might have played it wrong. If Nesta wanted Mario to kiss his a$$ into staying then Mario player it just right. But if Mario never even reached out to see if Nesta even interested in staying one more year....meh..I don’t know..

Advertisement
I think we add 5-7 more.

Expect us to lose to the Portal as well.

Do you know when the "cut-off" for the 7 max transfers if you lose 7? I know they start counting the transfers out after fall semester which for us was around Dec 15. Does it run the 15th-15th for a full year so if we lose someone to the portal after game 3, we can "substitute" up to max of 7 and not lose that IC?

And everyone looses players to the portal. Just need to hope it is because one kid got passed up by someone younger or did pan out properly as opposed to a stud who just is upset (difference between losing Zac Feagles to the portal or Stevenson)

Do you know when the "cut-off" for the 7 max transfers if you lose 7? I know they start counting the transfers out after fall semester which for us was around Dec 15. Does it run the 15th-15th for a full year so if we lose someone to the portal after game 3, we can "substitute" up to max of 7 and not lose that IC?

And everyone looses players to the portal. Just need to hope it is because one kid got passed up by someone younger or did pan out properly as opposed to a stud who just is upset (difference between losing Zac Feagles to the portal or Stevenson)
Doesn't the portal "close" for entries after May 1?

Advertisement
I don't know the situation at Auburn under Steele. It's probably stupid of me, but I've hated the SEC so much I honestly never wanted to watch them play except in bowl games where I rooted for the opposing team to beat them.

But unless big boy Miller or Haye break out and earn a starting spot at the 1-Tech or Nose, we'll be light up front, too, with LT + JHH (Moultrie, Lichtenstein and Roberts even lighter). So it's not just about Steed. The center of our defense needs to have some mass to it.

Just to put a point on it, we had Pierre (300 lbs) and Wyche (340 lbs) on running downs when Perryman was in there, with Kamalu (295) coming in on our fast package, or Chickillo (280+) moving insude. Moten (295) was rotated in. Big up front relative to this 2022 group as is.

Had all that and still got ran all over and thru...sure, we arent the 2000 Ravens but you acting like every team we play gonna line up in the I and run up the middle all game.
does not matter as much as you making it out to..

We big enough

If we can grab 1 more DT and DE, then we should be in a solid shape. Both of them don't have to be starters or stars, just solid enough to be good back ups and to add more depth.
Strongly disagree. We have bodies. We need difference makers. No more jags.

I made a mistake in a post yesterday saying the 2 deep in the trenches we're awful. I don't worry about correcting posts. I meant to say the 2nd string in the trenches were awful. The OL backups much worse than the DL with the additions. We need a better starting RT. Again, I will say we need 3 OL transfer's. We need another better starting DE and I will say 1 more DL besides that. So my opinion, 5 transfer's before we even get to LB, CB and hopefully a # 1 WR. I don't even know what to say if people believe George is going from 7 catches to 70 in his SO season. We are going to have more players transferring out than are transferring in, in my opinion. I just hope the quality players we are looking for, hit the portal and we get them. Some things have to still play out for some to hit the portal.

I don't know the situation at Auburn under Steele. It's probably stupid of me, but I've hated the SEC so much I honestly never wanted to watch them play except in bowl games where I rooted for the opposing team to beat them.

But unless big boy Miller or Haye break out and earn a starting spot at the 1-Tech or Nose, we'll be light up front, too, with LT + JHH (Moultrie, Lichtenstein and Roberts even lighter). So it's not just about Steed. The center of our defense needs to have some mass to it.

Just to put a point on it, we had Pierre (300 lbs) and Wyche (340 lbs) on running downs when Perryman was in there, with Kamalu (295) coming in on our fast package, or Chickillo (280+) moving insude. Moten (295) was rotated in. Big up front relative to this 2022 group as is.
Perryman wasn’t small lol he was short but his last 2 years he played at 245-250. And we arent going to be that small up front. Taylor at 300, jhh is at what 290 now could be 295-300 by the season, lichenstein is 285 so he could be 290+, Miller 320, haye listed at 305, moten coming in is 323. They aren’t huge but it’s enough size

Advertisement
I wouldn't be surprised if George ran a 4.39 if he goes to the Combine as a senior. I could see him leaving after his Junior season. George is fast af you're not catching him from behind he's smooth with everything he does until he accelerates past you to the ball or the end zone.

Chris olave freshman stats

View attachment 180328

Chris olave freshman highlights.

Jacolby George Freshman Stats

View attachment 180329

Jacolby freshman season at miami

If you can't see the comparison in route running and natural pass catching I don't know what to tell you and he's not lacking speed AT ALL

Just in case anyone wants to see what he did his senior year in high school at plantation be my guest.

🤫🤫🤫🙌🏾👊🏾

Don’t see the speed he looks quicker than fast. A couple of those highlights a guy like olave would have scored on but george doesn’t have that’s extra gear like him. Doesn’t mean george won’t be good

I made a mistake in a post yesterday saying the 2 deep in the trenches we're awful. I don't worry about correcting posts. I meant to say the 2nd string in the trenches were awful. The OL backups much worse than the DL with the additions. We need a better starting RT. Again, I will say we need 3 OL transfer's. We need another better starting DE and I will say 1 more DL besides that. So my opinion, 5 transfer's before we even get to LB, CB and hopefully a # 1 WR. I don't even know what to say if people believe George is going from 7 catches to 70 in his SO season. We are going to have more players transferring out than are transferring in, in my opinion. I just hope the quality players we are looking for, hit the portal and we get them. Some things have to still play out for some to hit the portal.
Thanks and to DM, LCE and others for your thoughts.

Could we be seeing a ground attack this season due to the lack of 7 Defense? Understanding TVD is real good, it may be that keeping opposing offenses off the field with a ball control approach might be a solution to offset a weakness.

Advertisement
Perryman wasn’t small lol he was short but his last 2 years he played at 245-250. And we arent going to be that small up front. Taylor at 300, jhh is at what 290 now could be 295-300 by the season, lichenstein is 285 so he could be 290+, Miller 320, haye listed at 305, moten coming in is 323. They aren’t huge but it’s enough size

Well he was listed as a senior at 225 on the official Canes site and I remember him playing a little too heavy for his size at the time. Golden loved to fatten kids up for whatever reason.

My point was just that Steed may be too small for LB especially given our DTs. Steed also only got back to form at the end of last season as an OLB so I just think it’s too much to rely on him on the inside. I’d love being wrong but it’s not an unreasonable concern.

Don’t see the speed he looks quicker than fast. A couple of those highlights a guy like olave would have scored on but george doesn’t have that’s extra gear like him. Doesn’t mean george won’t be good

We'll see I think he's just getting started and will be a handful this season along with X, Brinson, and K. Smith

Had all that and still got ran all over and thru...sure, we arent the 2000 Ravens but you acting like every team we play gonna line up in the I and run up the middle all game.
does not matter as much as you making it out to..

We big enough
I'll say this, if the offense can be what we hope, and get out to big early leads, score a lot of points, it's much easier to play defense with leads than being in close grind'em out games

A really good offense can help cover-up some defensive flaws

Perryman was built like a large fire hydrant. I agree, he was a bit squat, but he wasn't small in terms of his body width

Advertisement
Back