Sam Jankovich latest to criticize direction of UM football.

Amen, leaving the OB was a killer....... still go to Dolphins stadium but wow no electricity in that stadium at all

Leaving the Orange bowl is whatever. Had miami had a real HC it wouldn't matter. When miami gets a real coach it won't matter. Winners don't give a *** where they play. They make the stadium the stadium Dont make them.

Advertisement
As an alum, it kills me to see Miami football in its current state. But, as others have said before in greater detail, football just isn't a top priority to the Administration. I'd say its quite the opposite and Donna S made that clear when she said "this is not the old Miami."

Right or wrong, the Administration is more focused on academics and they don't want any more negative press with the football program. They would rather have a top academic institution and a mediocre football program. Blake James is obviously a "yes man." He has no real say as to what goes on here. It's not worth the time to bash him because he's just a puppet. Golden is the same. He's clipping coupons to the tune of a few million a year, recruiting ok, losing a lot of games and not getting fired. That should tell all of us what we need to know.

Until the priority shifts back to having a great football program, I think we may all need to prepare for more of the same. It really sucks, but the further we get away from being relevant, the easier this becomes for the people in charge. It just becomes a memory.

THIS!

As an alum, it kills me to see Miami football in its current state. But, as others have said before in greater detail, football just isn't a top priority to the Administration. I'd say its quite the opposite and Donna S made that clear when she said "this is not the old Miami."

Right or wrong, the Administration is more focused on academics and they don't want any more negative press with the football program. They would rather have a top academic institution and a mediocre football program. Blake James is obviously a "yes man." He has no real say as to what goes on here. It's not worth the time to bash him because he's just a puppet. Golden is the same. He's clipping coupons to the tune of a few million a year, recruiting ok, losing a lot of games and not getting fired. That should tell all of us what we need to know.

Until the priority shifts back to having a great football program, I think we may all need to prepare for more of the same. It really sucks, but the further we get away from being relevant, the easier this becomes for the people in charge. It just becomes a memory.
Thing is, Miami is not a top school academically. It is NOT in any way, shape or form, Ivy league. Give me Harvard, Yale, Cornell, Stanford, Duke, Brown, Penn, MIT, or even Michigan and Cal over Miami academically any day.
Miami is a decent school, but it is what it is, a school people go to for the nice weather and metropolitan feel. What it did have going for it, was an outstanding football team. And now, we don't.

this
Miami is no better than UF, a public university.

You guys are ***ing crazy with this wholesome decent university for the University of Miami. If you are top 38th institution of Higher Learning, you are not just "a decent school". Just coz the Football sucks now does not mean you have to denigrate the whole institution...geez! UiF only recently tied UM for like a 38th spot.

Thing is, Miami is not a top school academically. It is NOT in any way, shape or form, Ivy league. Give me Harvard, Yale, Cornell, Stanford, Duke, Brown, Penn, MIT, or even Michigan and Cal over Miami academically any day.
Miami is a decent school, but it is what it is, a school people go to for the nice weather and metropolitan feel. What it did have going for it, was an outstanding football team. And now, we don't.

this

You guys are ***ing crazy with this wholesome decent university for the University of Miami. If you are top 38th institution of Higher Learning, you are not just "a decent school". Just coz the Football sucks now does not mean you have to denigrate the whole institution...geez! UiF only recently tied UM for like a 38th spot.
Miami is 48th, not 38th. We WERE 38th several years ago, but academically, as well as athletically, we have taken a considerable drop. We are tied with Jorts U and Pedophile State. Not exactly elite company by anyone's measurement Shalala did well for the school the first years of her tenure, but not much lately as with the Med School mess.

We absolutely SUCK in all athletic programs. Collectively, I think we have the chittiest sports programs of any major Div 1 school in the country.

this

Miami is 48th, not 38th. We WERE 38th several years ago, but academically, as well as athletically, we have taken a considerable drop. We are tied with Jorts U and Pedophile State. Not exactly elite company by anyone's measurement Shalala did well for the school the first years of her tenure, but not much lately as with the Med School mess.

We absolutely SUCK in all athletic programs. Collectively, I think we have the chittiest sports programs of any major Div 1 school in the country.

SHHHHHHH! You'll ruin the narrative that the morons will try to feed everyone as The Troll Queen of Coral Gables walks into the sunset. Bottom line- she's leaving with that all soooooo precious ranking only a few spots from where Foote actually built it to and with her only athletic achievement being lucking into the Larranaga hire. The law school seemingly has diminished in stature or at least momentum and the medical school issues will only rise more and more to the surface in short time. Effff her and her apologists.

Advertisement
Miami will never rise to the level of schools listed in this thread. We peaked a few years ago.

And Tad, I agree. The law school is currently a joke.

It's unfortunate that UM tries to bring up its academic programs at the detriment of Athletics. UM has become far more than Suntan U through the latter part of the last century and through this millennium, and now is the flagship research institution of Higher Learning in the State of Florida.

Nonetheless, it's still ridiculous for the powers that be at UM wanting and desirous that Athletics NOT supplant its academic mission. Personally, I think the lame ****s on the BOT have an inferiority complex, maybe some freaking misplaced southerner's complex, wanting to be all elite in academia and needing that Football along with the Athletics Department conforms and or shall always be under under any and all of the strictest and most elitist considerations of the Academia. "The academic ideal shall not be supplanted by catering to a bunch of brats & jocks" opine these inferiority-laced southerners and their other Yankee implant comrades on that Board of Trustees. It's not necessary, and academia at UM could stand on its own without ever being dragged by a few incoming ball players.

What makes this counterproductive sentiment of UM's wannabe-to-be-elites at all costs in its misguided mission (for Football jocks) is the other reality that other colleges and universities which are much higher ranked than UM in that top 47 OVERTLY junk (lower) their entrance requirements to allow the best Athletes in at these more elite institutions. These higher ranked institutions included UNC, Georgia Tech, along with other similarly ranked institutions, i.e., University of Georgia allow in 75 % of their top Football players that fall below the NCAA requirements. Simply reasoned out by these more elite institutions is the fact that an incoming 15-19 Football players CANNOT dip down their over all class of 5,000 to 15,000+ population of college Freshmen. The number of Football players to overall student population represents like an atom out there to a sky cloud. Also, lower ranked institutions but much higher (these days) ranked in Football powerhouse mode than UM, i.e., LSU, Bama, make the same allowance of 75 % student/athlete admission unlike, yes, unlike the []_[] .

As for belittling UM academic standing, please note the following: There are over 17,000 (Seventeen Thousands+) other institutions of Higher Learning that grant Baccalaureate degrees or higher in the U.S. HTF is UM being ranked 38th to 48th amongst 17,000 be "not a top school academically" or "Miami is a [just] decent school"? GTFOH with that !

Last edited:
Sam was outstanding. I remember the night he introduced himself to the students. Worked the crowd with old school cheers. I thought he was crazy at the time. Never seen an old dude go at it like that for a pep rally. Now I am that old dude.

I used a ouija board to determine that Paul Dee is also not happy with the current state of the program.

Advertisement
Not sure most people will agree that Howard was the best coach we ever had.

Howard certainly was the biggest name we ever hired. If is hard to not give him best coach title since he started the whole thing and won his only shot at the NC. You have to remember that JJ, love him as we might, lost his first three bowl games. To of which would have given us the NC and one with maybe the most talented team in history(or 2nd best if you favor Reed and Co.). JJ gave us the 4-3 defense and Howard gave us the pro-sent and QB U. JJ was the better NFL HC by far, but I am giving Howard Miami. I made more money on that first NC game than all of JJ's games combined, so my view is slanted.

There's an argument that Lou Saban was key in starting it all. He brought in a lot of the talent that we won with in the early 80's.

I agree, Miami is not in the same tier as those schools. That said, the academic requirements to get into Miami have changed enormously since I attended in the mid-90s. Getting to that level of academic reputation takes decades, tons of research and a significant amount of fundraising. So, while I agree we're not there yet, this is the focus. It's not unfair to assume Miami could be there someday. You'll never see the Miami of the 80s again here, I'd bet my life savings on that. But I'm not necessarily happy about it. I don't believe the two are mutually exclusive.

Miami will be SunTan U again if it does not revive the football program. It was football that drove the increase in attendance and donation that made whatever academic improvement there was possible. I attended SunTan U and this administration is driving it back. Miami ALWAYS had a great medical, law and oceanography program. Donna has spent and over spent a fortune making it a medical PROVIDER. That is where she spent the bulk of the monies. What happens when UHEALTH collapses under the weight of too much debt like so many over-leveraged acquisition programs do? What are you left with? A school people for the NE come to for playing in the Sun. Miami has two reputations -- THE U and SunTan U. Donna has destroyed the first and left the second. It has NO reputation as some sort of great academic pillar except in the delude minds of fools.

It's unfortunate that UM tries to bring up its academic programs at the detriment of Athletics. UM has become far more than Suntan U through the latter part of the last century and through this millennium, and now is the flagship research institution of Higher Learning in the State of Florida.

Nonetheless, it's still ridiculous for the powers that be at UM wanting and desirous that Athletics NOT supplant its academic mission. Personally, I think the lame ****s on the BOT have an inferiority complex, maybe some freaking misplaced southerner's complex, wanting to be all elite in academia and needing that Football along with the Athletics Department conforms and or shall always be under under any and all of the strictest and most elitist considerations of the Academia. "The academic ideal shall not be supplanted by catering to a bunch of brats & jocks" opine these inferiority-laced southerners and their other Yankee implant comrades on that Board of Trustees. It's not necessary, and academia at UM could stand on its own without ever being dragged by a few incoming ball players.

What makes this counterproductive sentiment of UM's wannabe-to-be-elites at all costs in its misguided mission (for Football jocks) is the other reality that other colleges and universities which are much higher ranked than UM in that top 47 OVERTLY junk (lower) their entrance requirements to allow the best Athletes in at these more elite institutions. These higher ranked institutions included UNC, Georgia Tech, along with other similarly ranked institutions, i.e., University of Georgia allow in 75 % of their top Football players that fall below the NCAA requirements. Simply reasoned out by these more elite institutions is the fact that an incoming 15-19 Football players CANNOT dip down their over all class of 5,000 to 15,000+ population of college Freshmen. The number of Football players to overall student population represents like an atom out there to a sky cloud. Also, lower ranked institutions but much higher (these days) ranked in Football powerhouse mode than UM, i.e., LSU, Bama, make the same allowance of 75 % student/athlete admission unlike, yes, unlike the []_[] .

As for belittling UM academic standing, please note the following: There are over 17,000 (Seventeen Thousands+) other institutions of Higher Learning that grant Baccalaureate degrees or higher in the U.S. HTF is UM being ranked 38th to 48th amongst 17,000 be "not a top school academically" or "Miami is a [just] decent school"? GTFOH with that !

Lol you might want to look at that ranking system more closely. It isn't ranking UM 38th out of 17,000. More like 38th out of 400.

By your logic FSU, which is around 100, can claim to be an elite university too.

Miami isn't Stanford, Northwestern , or an IVY league school. It's not an insult, it is just reality. Some people are too sensitive. Those schools are on another level.

If FSU is 100, and UM is 50th, then consider the difference between UM and the top 10 schools. That might give you a more accurate idea of the US News rankings. 40-50 spots is a huge difference.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back