Sam Jankovich latest to criticize direction of UM football.

As an alum, it kills me to see Miami football in its current state. But, as others have said before in greater detail, football just isn't a top priority to the Administration. I'd say its quite the opposite and Donna S made that clear when she said "this is not the old Miami."

Right or wrong, the Administration is more focused on academics and they don't want any more negative press with the football program. They would rather have a top academic institution and a mediocre football program. Blake James is obviously a "yes man." He has no real say as to what goes on here. It's not worth the time to bash him because he's just a puppet. Golden is the same. He's clipping coupons to the tune of a few million a year, recruiting ok, losing a lot of games and not getting fired. That should tell all of us what we need to know.

Until the priority shifts back to having a great football program, I think we may all need to prepare for more of the same. It really sucks, but the further we get away from being relevant, the easier this becomes for the people in charge. It just becomes a memory.

Advertisement
Love Sammy Janks but offering a critique in which you only blame the ghost of a stadium is both disingenuous and soft shouldered.

As an alum, it kills me to see Miami football in its current state. But, as others have said before in greater detail, football just isn't a top priority to the Administration. I'd say its quite the opposite and Donna S made that clear when she said "this is not the old Miami."

Right or wrong, the Administration is more focused on academics and they don't want any more negative press with the football program. They would rather have a top academic institution and a mediocre football program. Blake James is obviously a "yes man." He has no real say as to what goes on here. It's not worth the time to bash him because he's just a puppet. Golden is the same. He's clipping coupons to the tune of a few million a year, recruiting ok, losing a lot of games and not getting fired. That should tell all of us what we need to know.

Until the priority shifts back to having a great football program, I think we may all need to prepare for more of the same. It really sucks, but the further we get away from being relevant, the easier this becomes for the people in charge. It just becomes a memory.

I am certain that the ACC did NOT invite The Former U to join the league as an example of an academic institution. If it's going to return to pre-Howard days, it'll get kicked out of the ACC. We were invited in for FOOTBALL. It generates the big TV contracts the ACC needs to survive.

Until the Board Of Garbage comes to its senses, anything that provides even 1 cent of income has to be boycotted. That includes admissions, basketball, etc.

Love Sammy Janks but offering a critique in which you only blame the ghost of a stadium is both disingenuous and soft shouldered.

The destruction of the OB says it all: lack of respect for ur program, lack of respect for ur tradition. Sam is dead right in his observation. What we have now is the result of that fateful decision to destroy the OB and alll it represented. Self hatred and self loathing gets u to where we are now.

He's was the best AD we could have ever hoped for and he did his damnest to get the city to get off its *** and renovate the OB while the iron was white hot. He got nothing in response...zero. A damned shame.

"If you have the number 1 team in the country, you should have the number 1 stadium in the country....". /smh when I think of the idiots in charge now.

[video=youtube_share;kjrCfjX-Hlw]http://youtu.be/kjrCfjX-Hlw[/video]

From Sam Jankovich to Blake James

Advertisement
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...ern-expressed-on-canes-heat-suns-marlins.html

### Count former UM athletic director Sam Jankovich among those troubled by the state of the UM football program.

“The thing that bothers me more than anything is the team is not improving,” he said. “The team just doesn’t play with the intensity you need or seem to improve. I don’t think Miami has played well since joining the ACC.

“Leaving the Orange Bowl had a real impact on the program. I follow it pretty closely [from Idaho], and I don’t think it looks very good. It’s concerning. They’re losing a lot of the enthusiasm that made the program so great. It’s very disappointing to see the program just existing” instead of thriving.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...on-canes-heat-suns-marlins.html#storylink=cpy

Someone needs to email this to Blake James...

Why? The guy really thinks he is a quality AD on the cutting edge, why would he listed to some "has been"? He sure as **** hasn't listened to the fans, alumni or most of the f-ng country for that matter..

UM

That is why we have to cut off the university financially.

There is no reason to give them another dollar until they commit to providing a product worth buying.

That is why we have to cut off the university financially.

There is no reason to give them another dollar until they commit to providing a product worth buying.

Yep. I politely replied to their last email a few months ago and told them that I will not be donating to the alumni fund again until I see that the school is as passionate about all phases of the University (including athletics) as I am. I let them know that their insistence on not making changes, especially at the position coach level (think DC), was evidence that they were not holding their program to the same standard of excellence that I do as an alumni.

Advertisement
What can you say! Just nothing positive you can hang your hat on. There are just too many things that must happen to bring this program back to prominence. Since we can't get rid of the idiotic administration then we gotta get a professional coaching staff in place. I pray and I mean it seriously that Golden gets canned well before season's end and we bring in Schiano and staff. I want Butch too, but these administrative idiots would find some bureaucratic reason not to.

The destruction of the OB says it all: lack of respect for ur program, lack of respect for ur tradition. Sam is dead right in his observation. What we have now is the result of that fateful decision to destroy the OB and alll it represented. Self hatred and self loathing gets u to where we are now.

The University of Miami had no control over the fate of the Orange Bowl. That was on the City of Miami. You make it sound like the university walked away from the Orange Bowl when in fact it had no choice.

But nonetheless, the loss of the Orange Bowl has zero bearing on why the Miami football program is in its current sad state. It begins and ends with coaching (and those who hired the bad coaches). If the Orange Bowl was such a powerful force, why was Miami football so bad for so long prior to the arrival of Howard Schenllenberger???

Thing is, Miami is not a top school academically. It is NOT in any way, shape or form, Ivy league. Give me Harvard, Yale, Cornell, Stanford, Duke, Brown, Penn, MIT, or even Michigan and Cal over Miami academically any day.
Miami is a decent school, but it is what it is, a school people go to for the nice weather and metropolitan feel. What it did have going for it, was an outstanding football team. And now, we don't.

Advertisement
The bone heads doing the hiring are the ones to blame for the downswing. None of those coaches would say no to the offer put in front of them. Offers that should have never been made. Especially Coker. That hire set all of this in motion.
Stadium has nothing to do with why Miami is losing. Zero.

Coker, Golden and Shannon are the reason for Miami's downswing. Nothing more, nothing less.

Great coaches and great players made the Orange Bowl special, not the other way around. If the Orange Bowl was so important, why was Miami terrible before the arrival of Schnellenberger?

Advertisement

Thing is, Miami is not a top school academically. It is NOT in any way, shape or form, Ivy league. Give me Harvard, Yale, Cornell, Stanford, Duke, Brown, Penn, MIT, or even Michigan and Cal over Miami academically any day.
Miami is a decent school, but it is what it is, a school people go to for the nice weather and metropolitan feel. What it did have going for it, was an outstanding football team. And now, we don't.

I agree, Miami is not in the same tier as those schools. That said, the academic requirements to get into Miami have changed enormously since I attended in the mid-90s. Getting to that level of academic reputation takes decades, tons of research and a significant amount of fundraising. So, while I agree we're not there yet, this is the focus. It's not unfair to assume Miami could be there someday. You'll never see the Miami of the 80s again here, I'd bet my life savings on that. But I'm not necessarily happy about it. I don't believe the two are mutually exclusive.

Jurich was a clone of Sam J. We should have hired him as AD instead of making PDee as permanent AD.

The day we get a real AD is the day we start winning. Who cares if the Prez likes football or not.

this
Miami is no better than UF, a public university.

Advertisement
Back