Said it earlier and Walton > Barkley

Not to derail this thrilling debate, but McShay & Polian talking up Walton as a future steal in the 3rd for someone. Talked up his skills in the passing game. Only noted knock was his size. I think he'll make a great situational guy. Great draft year for RB's. Good to see the NFL recognizing how to effectively utilize guys with multiple skills. Walton definitely fits that bill.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
Not to derail this thrilling debate, but McShay & Polian talking up Walton as a future steal in the 3rd for someone. Talked up his skills in the passing game. Only noted knock was his size. I think he'll make a great situational guy. Great draft year for RB's. Good to see the NFL recognizing how to effectively utilize guys with multiple skills. Walton definitely fits that bill.

Go Canes!

I can tell you this - Walton ain't going in the first 3 rounds.

I think there's a general misconception about Walton's athleticism. I think most people are thinking - "he's from Miami, so he's a great athlete". Which makes sense - but I think tomorrow is going to tell a different story, and opinions on him will start to change.

I know CBS was predicting him to run a 4.49. Walter Football originally had him as a 4.42 (they were predicting he'd be the fastest RB in the draft), then changed it to a 4.50.

But I'm predicting he'll run a 4.65. Anything above a 4.60 at 202 lbs. is going to really hurt his chances of getting drafted, so that's the magic number. Walton HAS to get under a 4.60 40, or test great in the other drills (which I don't see him doing either).

I think there's a general misconception about Walton's athleticism. I think most people are thinking - "he's from Miami, so he's a great athlete". Which makes sense - but I think tomorrow is going to tell a different story, and opinions on him will start to change.

I know CBS was predicting him to run a 4.49. Walter Football originally had him as a 4.42 (they were predicting he'd be the fastest RB in the draft), then changed it to a 4.50.

But I'm predicting he'll run a 4.65. Anything above a 4.60 at 202 lbs. is going to really hurt his chances of getting drafted, so that's the magic number. Walton HAS to get under a 4.60 40, or test great in the other drills (which I don't see him doing either).

I have no idea where he's going, just posting what McShay & Polian thought. McShay's opinion I discount, but Polian's opinion I respect. Not saying you're wrong either, as you have done some research and are familiar with the metrics that matter more than I. We'll see what happens. Pulling for the young man.

Go Canes!

I don't think you guys understand how athletically givted this dude is. Hes ******* bigger than Fournette! And he's faster and quicker than Zeke. And he's got better receiving ability than just about all 1st round RBs the last few years except CMC.
He's got the power, speed, agility, ability to break tackles, elusiveness. He literally has it all. Many scouts have him as not a top 5 prospect, but as THE #1 PROSPECT in this draft.

Idk if he will be successful, it's Gunna depend on the situation.

Not sure if him running right now is best for him given that ankle injury from October

Advertisement
Teams employ up to four running backs, many situational, many versatile, to run their offense. Availability isn't really the most important ability in the NFL when it comes to running backs. This is why Minnesota still finished 7th in the NFL in total rushing despite being in the bottom 10 in ypc, despite missing what is and will be, their franchise running back. Same with Dallas missing Zeke Elliott and finishing 2nd.

Minnesota finished 7th in total rushing because it's a noisy almost-worthless stat that mostly accounts for how much a team plays with the lead. MIN had a great defense and passing game that built leads to run the clock out. They finished 18th in rushing DVOA http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff

I don't really understand the rest of your 'argument' as it has no points to support it. Teams employ multiple backs, yes, which is why I'd rather have Duke (elite pass game back) and pair him with a cheap, reliable early-down back like Blount or whomever than rely on a "franchise back" with durability issues.

He's a complete back so he'll definitely go in the third , or at the absolute latest the fourth.

But I agree about his speed , I don't think he's runs better than 4.55 - 4.6.

He never looked fast , nice short bursts but his top end is ok. Not special.

As for Barkley, people that think he's a flop are nuts. He's as close to a sure thing as there's ever been.

Trent and the other guys being compared to him never looked anything like him. Most Alabama Rb are products of a great ol.

Not sure if him running right now is best for him given that ankle injury from October

Well, the 1 thing I do know is if runs slow, everyone here will blame it on the ankle. That's a given.

I'm sure the fact that he ran a 4.63 & 4.68 at events in HS and no one has a 40 time on him other than those will be totally disregarded, as usual.

Walton already said he's a full go for all drills at the combine, so we'll see. I agree it might not be the best idea.

But Walton knows what he's gonna run. If he thinks he can beat 4.60, he should run at the combine. If he's not running better than that, he should wait for Miami's Pro Day on March 28 where he'll probably run about .05 faster anyways. I don't think anyone would knock him for waiting an extra month coming off an injury.

Well, the 1 thing I do know is if runs slow, everyone here will blame it on the ankle. That's a given.

I'm sure the fact that he ran a 4.63 & 4.68 at events in HS and no one has a 40 time on him other than those will be totally disregarded, as usual.

Walton already said he's a full go for all drills at the combine, so we'll see. I agree it might not be the best idea.

But Walton knows what he's gonna run. If he thinks he can beat 4.60, he should run at the combine. If he's not running better than that, he should wait for Miami's Pro Day on March 28 where he'll probably run about .05 faster anyways. I don't think anyone would knock him for waiting an extra month coming off an injury.
I think he could run a 4.55

Advertisement

Looks like the fastest player on the field here and is moving at a different speeds which says a lot as ahmmon was running with the ball

Looks like the fastest player on the field here and is moving at a different speeds which says a lot as ahmmon was running with the ball

Walton is running straight down the field while all other players are running at angle across the field. That's why he looks fast in that clip. He's the only one running on a straight line.

He's a complete back so he'll definitely go in the third , or at the absolute latest the fourth.

But I agree about his speed , I don't think he's runs better than 4.55 - 4.6.

He never looked fast , nice short bursts but his top end is ok. Not special.

As for Barkley, people that think he's a flop are nuts. He's as close to a sure thing as there's ever been.

Trent and the other guys being compared to him never looked anything like him. Most Alabama Rb are products of a great ol.

Taking all biases out of it, it'll be very hard for Walton to go in the first 4 rounds.

212 RB's have been drafted in the first 4 rounds since 2000. Only 5 have both weighed 205 or less, and ran a 4.55 or slower at the combine (2.3%).

Now - this is just using combine numbers, so there's definitely been other RB's taken in the first 4 rounds who would fall into the 205/4.55 category.

But the point is, even if you love Walton, it's extremely hard for any RB no matter how productive to be a top pick with those type of measurables.

Advertisement
Advertisement
this is regular stats for an “elite” back... struggling vs very mediocre competition
6F5D1425-D303-4684-ACB4-05B1C37AB7ED.jpeg

this is regular stats for an “elite” back... struggling vs very mediocre competition

You're just wrong on this one. Every team game planned to shut him down. He's not on Adrian Petersons level out of college but he's still elite. Tape doesn't lie.

Barkley is good. He also is STIFF as ****..i dont see the elusiveness some of you guys boast about with him.
But he definately is a safe top 10 pick as a PRO TO TYPICAL nfl rb.

Advertisement
Back