Sad win

We are in agreement that we shouldn't be/have been in a position of hiring a rookie head coach but the reality is for the budget we have that is likely what we will always be getting, and its what we have now, so why not be glass half full and make the best of the situation.

- Recruiting is better and appears will continue to get better with Fields, DVD, TRob.
- At least part of the culture is better (King, Bolden, Nesta, Cam, etc coming back).
- Changes have been made when changes were necessary (Enos, Baker, Rumph). Not everything has worked out yet but I assume he again won't hesitate to try something new.
- The kicking game was fixed.
- Time/in-game management has gotten better.

Plenty to be concerned about as well as evidenced in the 100k posts by the #MOPECREW.
I don't disagree with this; but absent from your list is the improvement that matters which is on-field performance. Our eyes have all seen the first 2 games. I am hoping things get better quickly otherwise we are in for a lot of pain the remainder of the year and continued doubts this offseason and next about this program and where it is headed.

Advertisement
Not only do I not think they would, I do not think they should. You are handicapping yourself the rest of the season. Unless there is a can't miss, top of the line, attainable coach, this doesn't make sense and rarely (if ever) works out. There is not that candidate out there.

I will tell you why I think in this specific case calling out the nonsense is needed. I do not want Blake James anywhere near this decision or who we hire next. He needs to go yesterday. Maybe it is a fool's mission and has no impact, but in an ideal world the negative noise wakes up the BOT, gets him fired ASAP and a new AD in place to make this decision. There is no other logical way that this should happen. You can't fill those positions simultaneously absent a situation like Tennessee pulling the AD and Heupel from UCF last year. They need to get James out and a new AD in place given the state of all of our revenue programs.

As I have said multiple times now - it is in EVERYONE'S best interest that Manny figures this out. But I have seen this story before and know how it ends. I don't bemoan Manny for taking this job, but this is the profession he signed up and gets paid millions for.

I love wspcane.

I love ssvir.

Fortunately, HC is the one position that fires himself. Lose enough games, you will be fired. Probably not in Year 3, but a contract "extension" decision is coming due soon (2022).

The SILENT KILLERS are incompetent ADs, University Presidents, and Trustees. You can't get rid of those ticks once they burrow under the skin.

UM has had AD/President/Trustee Lyme Disease for years, and it went undiagnosed.

I don't disagree with this; but absent from your list is the improvement that matters which is on-field performance. Our eyes have all seen the first 2 games. I am hoping things get better quickly otherwise we are in for a lot of pain the remainder of the year and continued doubts this offseason and next about this program and where it is headed.
Bama destroys everyone in the opening game and usually leaves their opponent with a couple game hangover for good measure.

I'm hoping for improvement this weekend from the O. Not expecting much from the D as the LB corp has been decimated by injuries the last two years layered on top of questionable evaluations in recruiting.

As others have pointed out teams 10-50 are pretty much interchangeable and any team can lose any weekend. I expect every game to be a rock fight the rest of the way but we'll have a couple 52-10 FSU massacre type performances just to tease what the team could look like.

I love wspcane.

I love ssvir.

Fortunately, HC is the one position that fires himself. Lose enough games, you will be fired. Probably not in Year 3, but a contract "extension" decision is coming due soon (2022).

The SILENT KILLERS are incompetent ADs, University Presidents, and Trustees. You can't get rid of those ticks once they burrow under the skin.

UM has had AD/President/Trustee Lyme Disease for years, and it went undiagnosed.
Yes the admin sucks and as I pointed out in another thread I started, MY OPINION is that its fiscally stupid as well. Good athletics (football or basketball) leads to massive amounts of free publicity for the school. Watching Gameday on the UM campus lake resulted in a HUGE influx of applications.

Advertisement
The little I’ve seen of TVD is worrisome as he has looked completely lost. I know he’s only thrown a couple passes but he just doesn’t look confident.
would you be if you had to throw behind that OL??

the kid has a ton of potential, but nothing kills a young QB more than an OL that can't block.

Who said I wanted him to get an extension? You have changed the discussion three times already and continue to try to put words in my mouth.

To be clear, I said if there is progress (ie: we don't **** the bed) then we are better off keeping the status quo, having stability and continuity in the program, continuing to let him learn on the job, and make changes as are needed (which I would hope most agree he has done thus far). If there is not improvement and we **** the bed and go 5-6/6-5 then Manny/Blake need to be run out of town.

Everyone here wants to suck off Mack Brown but the old cheating clown was 8-4 last year and is 1-1 this year. They beat the brakes off us last year H2H but basically had the same season as we did with an NFL QB, two NFL RBs, two NFL WRs, and a couple NFL defenders as well.

Bottom line is just chill out with the firing talk and let the season play out. If there is improvement you should be happy and STFU for another year. If there is regression then chances are you'll get your wish sooner than later and we'll begin our rebuilding process for the 6th time in 25 years.
****ting the bed is 5-6/6-5? Lol.

I am bringing extensions up because you mentioned “Hoping for things to fall apart is the worst option as Manny isn't getting fired so we'll have to waste two more years of my life and we will be in a worse position than we are now.” If he wins 8-9 games (which will probably happen with this ****** schedule) he will get the extension and we will waste 5 years rather than 2.

Díaz isn’t supposed to be rebuilding anything. He sold moron James this would be a quick fix. Evidently, it’s not. He already fired his OC and DC, in year 3. He’s about to hire another OC (once Lashlee leaves) and DC in year 4. This is absurd.

I don’t need to see any more. Fire Diaz.

Well said, D.

Last night was like popping a balloon on my optimism. No one likes fake optimism, so I’ll be real when I don’t feel it.

There are several examples of coaches needing several years to learn to win big, but what most don’t say in that scenario is there are a whole lot more examples of “bad in year three, maybe they’re just bad.”

I would be more down to ride with Manny through tough times if he showed more as a leader of men.

Right now any positivity about his future feels like wishful thinking.

botched abortions look better than those first two games. No other way to say it.

Advertisement
botched abortions look better than those first two games. No other way to say it.
dead GIF

Appalachian State would have beaten Michigan State by 20 last year. Maybe Michigan State has improved, but they were really awful last year.
They were but replaced half their team with transfers and have improved. We'll see how much. Their QB,ol and corners are suspect in my eyes. King should throw for 300 yds and 8ypa easy if we play like we're capable of.

You can say that because of how they looked against Youngstown State?
Not really, more how they looked versus Northwestern. Northwestern is notoriously a team plays well early in the season and MSU buried them. As for YSU, I could look at that game as well because MSU did to them what a better team is supposed to do to a lower level team.

They were but replaced half their team with transfers and have improved. We'll see how much. Their QB,ol and corners are suspect in my eyes. King should throw for 300 yds and 8ypa easy if we play like we're capable of.
Their QB Thorne doesn’t have to throw for tons of yards because their running game has been prolific. He just gets the ball around to the right guys. There offense is much more dynamic than what we have showed. Those Big 10 teams are notorious for play action so if that running game is on and/or we get little or no pressure, we are in trouble.

Advertisement
Their QB Thorne doesn’t have to throw for tons of yards because their running game has been prolific. He just gets the ball around to the right guys. There offense is much more dynamic than what we have showed. Those Big 10 teams are notorious for play action so if that running game is on and/or we get little or no pressure, we are in trouble.

I'm from Michigan so I watch a good amount of msu games. That's what they want to do is run and then go deep. That was their offense last year but they couldn't run at all. Thorne is still just an ok QB. Walker is by far the best player then the two Wrs reed and nailor. They have good speed. They have iron head heywards son playing te at 6'0 230. The ol was bad last year and I think they're better but I question how much better they are. The offense they run you need a strong group. It's basically the same guys but a few shuffled in different positions

Advertisement
No doubt the buck stops on Manny’s desk but it’s not like we’ve got a bunch of scrub assistant coaches. Lashlee, Likens, and Justice came in with high regard and lots of experience. TRob and Shoop come in on the D side and Manny takes over as the DC. We’re a little green on that side with DVD and Ish and of course there’s Patke but the other 3 with experience should be able to make up the difference.

The D performance doesn’t surprise me. It’s the O that has me completely befuddled. I was really expecting a lot better results in year 2 of Lashlee’s offense. So far it’s been pretty offensive.

I'm from Michigan so I watch a good amount of msu games. That's what they want to do is run and then go deep. That was their offense last year but they couldn't run at all. Thorne is still just an ok QB. Walker is by far the best player then the two Wrs reed and nailor. They have good speed. They have iron head heywards son playing te at 6'0 230. The ol was bad last year and I think they're better but I question how much better they are. The offense they run you need a strong group. It's basically the same guys but a few shuffled in different positions
this is exactly what their 247 writer said. I summarized a q&A he did on the Canes 247 site today. He said a lot more, too.

Advertisement
Back