Sad win

Advertisement
I would see what you could offer mark stoops to leave Kentucky. The lack of defensive discipline and lack of gap integrity would go away over night. He’s got that program competing which is saying a lot

It’s a sad program. Game to game is just a microcosm of the bigger picture. We will always look terrible. We are very poorly coached
The good news is that we played the only team on our schedule that has 5* talent to match 5* coaching and they blew us off the field accordingly. The rest of the way we will get one or the other and mostly it will be facing 5* coaching esp against UVA, VT, UNC and MSU even though we are more talented than these 4 teams pound for pound.

The good news is that we played the only team on our schedule that has 5* talent to match 5* coaching and they blew us off the field accordingly. The rest of the way we will get one or the other and mostly it will be facing 5* coaching esp against UVA, VT, UNC and MSU even though we are more talented than these 4 teams pound for pound.
Relative to manny, most coaching will look 5 star. We can’t even line up correctly or fill in the correct gap. It’s so frustrating.

What are the chances of seeing some Brashard Smith out of the backfield this week? Guy is a mismatch.

Advertisement
Doesn't it feel though that after the FSU game, the offense hasn't really been productive (save maybe NC State)? Its almost as if once we put on some tape, there hasn't been as much production and excitement since.
It was a little hit and miss last year but they generally produced against crappy teams. They went over 30 against Pitt and Oklahoma State who statistically speaking had good defenses and over 40 against NCst and Duke who we're pretty terrible defensively. They never looked inept like they looked on Saturday.

Since you either refuse or are unable to answer the question asking what has improved that gives you confidence that Manny will figure it out, maybe you will answer this question instead. How many chances and off-seasons do you realistically give Manny to continue making changes in hopes that he figures it out.

Part of the issue with hiring Manny (or any first time head coach not going to a UGA/Texas) was his very limited coaching tree, especially for Miami instead of Temple. Having said that, his first year he managed to put together one of the worst staffs I have ever seen. He made changes to the offense but those don't seem to be working. I understand why he kept the defense that extra year, as he couldn't change the entire staff after his first season.

Last offseason he made changes to the defense but refused to bring in a playcaller or adjust his philosophy. We will see if it bears fruit through this season. But for discussions sake, lets say it still causes issues through the year. How many chances do you possibly give this guy to figure it out. Surely the coordinator spots and staff as a whole is part of your basic need for continuity, and every time you are buying out coordinators and hiring new it costs money. Not to mention at some point guys are not going to put their careers on the line to join a head coach on the hot seat.
I have no idea what you are talking about with your "refusing/unable" line of BS. Unless I missed something I didn't see anyone ask me a question other than what record do I expect and my response was 9-3 and if we go 5-6/6-5 then Manny/Blake should be shown the door.

You clearly are young and have no big picture perspective b/c virtually every successful coach has had a learning curve at the beginning which includes hiring/firing/changing staff, gameday decisions, organizational improvements, offense/defense philosophy which needs to evolve over time, etc. NO new HC has ever figured it out from day 1 on a team that was chicken **** and been expected to make chicken salad.

What has Manny done? Each season he has improved the recruiting and we are no longer decommit-U. He has changed coordinators when needed. He has changed position coaches when needed. He has added a stats/analytics position. He addressed the kicking game. He has kicked the **** out of FSU. He basically invented how to use the transfer portal. Have there been negatives? ....obviously, but he has taken steps each time to TRY to resolve the situation.

To be crystal clear for all the mouth breathers that will come in and say Manny slurper blah blah blah. IDGAF about Manny. I care about my university and my football team and the memories of some of the best days of my life being put in the rear view mirror b/c we have been **** for 20 years. I want to win and absent spending a ****load of money to hire proven coaches and/or cheating our asses off like the elite do, the answer IN MY OPINION is not to change coaches every 3 years. How has that worked out for Texas, Michigan, Nebraska, USC, UCLA, Tenn and LSU (minus the one magical season) and countless others that flush coaches down the toilet to hire another coach who does the same thing.

Manny is only at the start of his 3rd year so just STFU and let it play out. As Sam Wyche said "Cut it out, we aren't Cleveland!" .... we aren't FSU.

Manny's not the guy gents, and there's just no other way to say it. We all knew in 2019 the way he allowed that team to implode and give up that he wasn't the guy. A good coach never allows that to happen.

He's made some very good adjustments in terms of recruiting the right kind of talent for our future and bringing in better assistants, but we are simply not a well-coached team and we never have been since Manny's been at the helm. That's not going to change any time soon if ever.

The sad reality though is if our AD opts for another lazy hire, then we'll be in this same boat for another 4 years where our ceiling is battling for an occasional ACC Coastal title. We need a home run hire - not some splashy name retread that only brings excitement for 1 year then things fall apart, and not some inept internal candidate to make things cheap and easy.

Find a home run candidate who has seen up close what it takes to win big in today's CFB or we will stay in this 4 year mediocrity loop forever.

Advertisement
I have no idea what you are talking about with your "refusing/unable" line of BS. Unless I missed something I didn't see anyone ask me a question other than what record do I expect and my response was 9-3 and if we go 5-6/6-5 then Manny/Blake should be shown the door.

You clearly are young and have no big picture perspective b/c virtually every successful coach has had a learning curve at the beginning which includes hiring/firing/changing staff, gameday decisions, organizational improvements, offense/defense philosophy which needs to evolve over time, etc. NO new HC has ever figured it out from day 1 on a team that was chicken **** and been expected to make chicken salad.

What has Manny done? Each season he has improved the recruiting and we are no longer decommit-U. He has changed coordinators when needed. He has changed position coaches when needed. He has added a stats/analytics position. He addressed the kicking game. He has kicked the **** out of FSU. He basically invented how to use the transfer portal. Have there been negatives? ....obviously, but he has taken steps each time to TRY to resolve the situation.

To be crystal clear for all the mouth breathers that will come in and say Manny slurper blah blah blah. IDGAF about Manny. I care about my university and my football team and the memories of some of the best days of my life being put in the rear view mirror b/c we have been **** for 20 years. I want to win and absent spending a ****load of money to hire proven coaches and/or cheating our asses off like the elite do, the answer IN MY OPINION is not to change coaches every 3 years. How has that worked out for Texas, Michigan, Nebraska, USC, UCLA, Tenn and LSU (minus the one magical season) and countless others that flush coaches down the toilet to hire another coach who does the same thing.

Manny is only at the start of his 3rd year so just STFU and let it play out. As Sam Wyche said "Cut it out, we aren't Cleveland!" .... we aren't FSU.
First off, I wish I was younger than I am. But I am certainly old enough to remember when we were a competent program and was there for many of those big games. That aside, I am talking to you like an adult so you should do the same.

Second, to those with sense and experience, you are right about that learning curve for first time head coaches. Which is exactly why so many of us were questioning the hire in the first place. But here we are, and as I have said repeatedly it is in everyone's best interest for Manny to figure it out. Yes, he has made some changes in the organization and structure of the program, but his big decisions have not worked out and in year three our culture is still a mess. It is great that he recognizes problems, but all evidence points to the fact that he has no idea how to fix them. You can't keep putting good money after bad and banging your head against the wall just because you made **** hires in the past.

The other programs you are talking about are pretty terrible examples for the point you are trying to prove. In fact, it probably proves exactly the opposite. Texas gave Herman four full years, which was always the standard number. Michigan gave Hoke four years and is now on year seven with Harbaugh. UCLA gave Mora six years and is now in year four with Kelly. USC is a mess, but they had to fire Sark because of his alcoholism and Helton has been there for seven years now. LSU had Les Miles for 12 years and now on year 6 with O. Frost is in year 4 at Nebraska and will probably be fired, but I have no idea who is bringing them back. Tennessee is maybe the only AD run worse than Miami, so I guess that one is a valid point.

If I see trash, I will say it and not STFU just because you and the other dingbats feel uncomfortable that someone else has a differing opinion. So far, Manny from September through November is trash. He should (and will) get the rest of this season but so far, it is not looking good.

Last edited:
It was a little hit and miss last year but they generally produced against crappy teams. They went over 30 against Pitt and Oklahoma State who statistically speaking had good defenses and over 40 against NCst and Duke who we're pretty terrible defensively. They never looked inept like they looked on Saturday.
While I agree with this, if we score less than 25 points against anyone else on this schedule besides Cenn Connecticut, we won't will another game unless this defense is ALOT better than we think it is. So Lashlee better get this fixed because he only has one "gimme game" left. After that he better be prepared to drop 30+ the rest of the way by any means necessary.

While I agree with this, if we score less than 25 points against anyone else on this schedule besides Cenn Connecticut, we won't will another game unless this defense is ALOT better than we think it is. So Lashlee better get this fixed because he only has one "gimme game" left. After that he better be prepared to drop 30+ the rest of the way by any means necessary.
Duke is pretty awful again also

Advertisement
First off, I wish I was younger than I am. But I am certainly old enough to remember when we were a competent program and was there for many of those big games. Incidentally That aside, I am talking to you like an adult so you should do the same.

Second, to those with sense and experience, you are right about that learning curve for first time head coaches. Which is exactly why so many of us were questioning the hire in the first place. But here we are, and as I have said repeatedly it is in everyone's best interest for Manny to figure it out. Yes, he has made some changes in the organization and structure of the program, but his big decisions have not worked out and in year three our culture is still a mess. It is great that he recognizes problems, but all evidence points to the fact that he has no idea how to fix them. You can't keep putting good money after bad and banging your head against the wall just because you made **** hires in the past.

The other programs you are talking about are pretty terrible examples for the point you are trying to prove. In fact, it probably proves exactly the opposite. Texas gave Herman four full years, which was always the standard number. Michigan gave Hoke four years and is now on year seven with Harbaugh. UCLA gave Mora six years and is now in year four with Kelly. USC is a mess, but they had to fire Sark because of his alcoholism and Helton has been there for seven years now. LSU had Les Miles for 12 years and now on year 6 with O. Frost is in year 4 at Nebraska and will probably be fired, but I have no idea who is bringing them back. Tennessee is maybe the only AD run worse than Miami, so I guess that one is a valid point.

If I see trash, I will say it and not STFU just because you and the other dingbats feel uncomfortable that someone else has a differing opinion. So far, Manny from September through November is trash. He should (and will) get the rest of this season but so far, it is not looking good.
You asked a question and I answered.

I'd like to ask you a few questions now ... Do you think UM is firing a HC that just started his 3rd season?

If the answer is NO, as I suspect it is to someone who seems at least partially rationale, then my follow up question is do you think it helps or hurts the program to have vocal portions of the fanbase bashing the team and coaches two games into a season? Is that helpful for recruiting (needed no matter who is coach) or bringing in better coaches (whether positional or eventually HC), or giving players a reason to not leave school early or transfer? Do you think it builds anything but negative momentum?

My point is Manny is either going to succeed or he's not so why don't we put the fire Manny bull**** (which isn't happening this year or next year) on the back burner and try to HELP him succeed in any small way we can as a fanbase?

You asked a question and I answered.

I'd like to ask you a few questions now ... Do you think UM is firing a HC that just started his 3rd season?

If the answer is NO, as I suspect it is to someone who seems at least partially rationale, then my follow up question is do you think it helps or hurts the program to have vocal portions of the fanbase bashing the team and coaches two games into a season? Is that helpful for recruiting (needed no matter who is coach) or bringing in better coaches (whether positional or eventually HC), or giving players a reason to not leave school early or transfer? Do you think it builds anything but negative momentum?

My point is Manny is either going to succeed or he's not so why don't we put the fire Manny bull**** (which isn't happening this year or next year) on the back burner and try to HELP him succeed in any small way we can as a fanbase?
Not only do I not think they would, I do not think they should. You are handicapping yourself the rest of the season. Unless there is a can't miss, top of the line, attainable coach, this doesn't make sense and rarely (if ever) works out. There is not that candidate out there.

I will tell you why I think in this specific case calling out the nonsense is needed. I do not want Blake James anywhere near this decision or who we hire next. He needs to go yesterday. Maybe it is a fool's mission and has no impact, but in an ideal world the negative noise wakes up the BOT, gets him fired ASAP and a new AD in place to make this decision. There is no other logical way that this should happen. You can't fill those positions simultaneously absent a situation like Tennessee pulling the AD and Heupel from UCF last year. They need to get James out and a new AD in place given the state of all of our revenue programs.

As I have said multiple times now - it is in EVERYONE'S best interest that Manny figures this out. But I have seen this story before and know how it ends. I don't bemoan Manny for taking this job, but this is the profession he signed up and gets paid millions for.

Agree with most you said, but you aren’t being harsh enough on Manny imo.
Completely agree…and under his tenure as DC (oh wait, he is still doing that) he is given waaaay too much credit for simply adding BACK what Golden and Nofrio took away, relentless pressure.

Outside of one truly complete performance against the Shame at home, his defenses almost always had holes in them. Many coaches always thought of him as a legend in his own mind with a bunch of jargon that wasn’t backed up.

His downfall, IMO, will always be that he cannot combine discipline with trying to be buddies with his players, he has to get their respect first, and while I believe they love him, respect and willingness to run through walls for him ain’t there.

Bottom line, Diaz wasn’t ready for a head coaching job at this level, but the very school we cheer for doesn’t consider us at that level anymore, so they don’t invest in it.

Still, we could pay for somebody like Auburns new coach from Boise. Who knows how he will end up, but the dude is pretty fearless.

Advertisement
In modern college football, nobody should expect to win scoring under 25 points. They really have a lot of work to do. Everything on Saturday from the playcalling, to the execution to the missed assignments and dropped passes was putrid.

Some fair points here and the sentiment is appropriate. However, the assumption you make is that Miami is a program where a rookie head coach can make mistakes and learn how to be a successful head coach. The last decade+ notwithstanding, I'm not sure the fan base would agree with that. (Maybe the administrators/BOT who matter feel otherwise?)

And what compounds this is that we're not like, say, OSU, where the amount of money and attention paid to the football team basically ensures that a rookie HC cannot fail.

Some fair points here and the sentiment is appropriate. However, the assumption you make is that Miami is a program where a rookie head coach can make mistakes and learn how to be a successful head coach. The last decade+ notwithstanding, I'm not sure the fan base would agree with that. (Maybe the administrators/BOT who matter feel otherwise?)

And what compounds this is that we're not like, say, OSU, where the amount of money and attention paid to the football team basically ensures that a rookie HC cannot fail.
We are in agreement that we shouldn't be/have been in a position of hiring a rookie head coach but the reality is for the budget we have that is likely what we will always be getting, and its what we have now, so why not be glass half full and make the best of the situation.

- Recruiting is better and appears will continue to get better with Fields, DVD, TRob.
- At least part of the culture is better (King, Bolden, Nesta, Cam, etc coming back).
- Changes have been made when changes were necessary (Enos, Baker, Rumph). Not everything has worked out yet but I assume he again won't hesitate to try something new.
- The kicking game was fixed.
- Time/in-game management has gotten better.

Plenty to be concerned about as well as evidenced in the 100k posts by the #MOPECREW.

Advertisement
Back