Saban's Final Act

ZuCrew

Sophomore
We've all been watching college football long enough to witness the re-emergence and dominance of Nick Saban and the Tide. He's considered the greatest CFB coach of all time and won 7 Nattty's, HOWEVER, what has been unsaid in the mainstream is the manner of HOW he got to that point pre-NIL and what the NIL means for him and the vaunted "process" afterward going to what many can consider the last leg of his coaching legacy.

So, I have the privilege of attending FUMA ( if you know, you know) for three years during is golden football days where I had the pleasure of seeing DJ Paterson (Harvard) and Chris Perry(U-M) play. Mark Filmore (NW) was a receiver on the JV football team I was on that year and Billy McMullen (VT) and Asad Abdul Khaliq(Minn) were PG's. Tons of memories of that place. The legendary Coach Micky Sullivan said this and I'm paraphrasing " Yea, we train and practice hard however more times than not, if you have the better players coming off the bus, you're usually going to win". Alot of year's that's what it was, we just had the better players. Which brings me to Ole Nick..

If he can win at least one more championship during this leg of his career, I'm going to be more impressed that any of the one's prior. Why? Well, it's because he's not playing with a stacked deck every year like before and now money to players is not a hush-hush taboo issue. Everyone has access to paying the players. Once more with Lincoln Riley at USC, Mario at Miami, Kirby at UGA, Kelly at LSU, Day at OSU, and Fisher at TAMU plus Heupel at Tenn, he can't waltz into any area in the country anymore and cherry pick the best players from all over. NOPE! That, coupled with the fact that he's not the only person that has a "compensation machine" behind him at Bama, things are going to be much tougher for him to do what he's done in the past.

Personally, I think even without those factors, he's still probably one of the greats if not these greatest of all time however, looking at it, this is a beast of his own doing. They were so "good" for many years, that the rest of college football had to catch up. They did, in a big way. I'll be interested to see how the Tide respond in this latest incarnation of college football with a more even playing ground, can they be as dominate as they once were? I think Ole Nick has at least one left in him but we'll see. Let me know your thoughts..

Last edited:
Advertisement
Did you see the class he just brought in? It may be his opus
I peeped. How many will stay, how many will pan out, which coaches will stay to bring consistency, and will they still have that fire? Lots of unknowns. They don't seem invincible anymore like they once did. They'll be consistently good however will they be the best?

So…similar to Belicheat once he lost Brady?
Nah, I don't think so. Very rarely do you get the perfect beat to the perfect lyrics. They drafted Brady because he was the perfect QB for their system. Once TB12 downloaded the entire blueprint, he didn't need to stay anymore. He learned all he needed to.

Advertisement
We've all been watching college football long enough to witness the re-emergence and dominance of Nick Saban and the Tide. He's considered the greatest CFB coach of all time and won 6 Nattty's, HOWEVER, what has been unsaid in the mainstream is the manner of HOW he got to that point pre-NIL and what the NIL means for him and the vaunted "process" afterward going to what many can consider the last leg of his coaching legacy.

So, I have the privilege of attending FUMA ( if you know, you know) for three years during is golden football days where I had the pleasure of seeing DJ Paterson (Harvard) and Chris Perry(U-M) play. Mark Filmore (NW) was a receiver on the JV football team I was on that year and Billy McMullen (VT) and Asad Abdul Khaliq(Minn) were PG's. Tons of memories of that place. The legendary Coach Micky Sullivan said this and I'm paraphrasing " Yea, we train and practice hard however more times than not, if you have the better players coming off the bus, you're usually going to win". Alot of year's that's what it was, we just had the better players. Which brings me to Ole Nick..

If he can win at least one more championship during this leg of his career, I'm going to be more impressed that any of the one's prior. Why? Well, it's because he's not playing with a stacked deck every year like before and now money to players is not a hush-hush taboo issue. Everyone has access to paying the players. Once more with Lincoln Riley at USC, Mario at Miami, Kirby at UGA, Kelly at LSU, Day at OSU, and Fisher at TAMU plus Heupel at Tenn, he can't waltz into any area in the country anymore and cherry pick the best players from all over. NOPE! That, coupled with the fact that he's not the only person that has a "compensation machine" behind him at Bama, things are going to be much tougher for him to do what he's done in the past.

Personally, I think even without those factors, he's still probably one of the greats if not these greatest of all time however, looking at it, this is a beast of his own doing. They were so "good" for many years, that the rest of college football had to catch up. They did, in a big way. I'll be interested to see how the Tide respond in this latest incarnation of college football with a more even playing ground, can they be as dominate as they once were? I think Ole Nick has at least one left in him but we'll see. Let me know your thoughts..
It’s actually 7 Nattys and it doesn’t appear the train is stopping just yet. Their last two classes are loaded.

Nah, I don't think so. Very rarely do you get the perfect beat to the perfect lyrics. They drafted Brady because he was the perfect QB for their system. Once TB12 downloaded the entire blueprint, he didn't need to stay anymore. He learned all he needed to.
My point was that Belicheat can’t win anything now that he doesn’t have Brady. Will Saban be able to keep winning championships now that he doesn’t have the advantages he once had?

Advertisement
My point was that Belicheat can’t win anything now that he doesn’t have Brady. Will Saban be able to keep winning championships now that he doesn’t have the advantages he once had?
With Belichick, the whole "Patriot Way" mystique is now gone without Brady plus these players are like pay me or I'm out. It was a whole vibe back then. Something you can't capture in a bottle twice. I think Saban has at least one more in him.

Bama gets to pick who they want out of the portal (proven ballers), marginal guys who are going to lose their spots exit, and he restock with 5 stars. Doesn’t look like the new world order really hurts him.

Maybe not as much depth but his 22 starters are better than ever.
It doesn't hurt him. It irritates him, and he's vocal about it.

Advertisement
I would argue the demise of Belichick is overstated. Winning in the NFL is a whole different animal than in college. You can’t really turn things around immediately unless you bring in a very good to elite QB, and there are very few of those to go around. If Bill is still struggling to make the playoffs in 3-5 years, you can claim Brady was more than 50/50 responsible for that dynasty. But you still won’t be able to deny that Bill’s defense was the deciding factor in at least 2 of their Super Bowl seasons, probably 3.

FWIW I’m not fully disagreeing with you. I’ve always seen the Pats dynasty as 60/40 Brady

He’s already the greatest CFB coach of all time. The rules he played by were the same rules Texas, USC, OU, Tenn, lsu, Miami (some years) UF, FSU UGA etc etc had the benefit of it some point in time…and some even attempted and failed (lonestar state)..NONE channeled it into the run he did..in modern day Miami and USC came the closest..but dude won with 2 star QBs, 3/4 Star QBs and the best of the best QBs. He’s won doing it one way then adjusted to doing it another way. He’s won at 2 different SEC schools only to see his former lose footing a couple years after he left (LSU). When the man leaves Bama, Bama won’t be the same..He and Bama will benefit the most out of this new landscape in Recruiting, NIL, and TP..when you hear him speak out against this no oversight structure, every coach in America feels the same way. It’s a mess. Patt narduzzi has spoken out harshly 2 straight years about it being a negative in the sport..but it only get air time when Saban does lol..well dude just signed the greatest class of the 247 era (again). So he’s alright.

That’s said, next year will be the most vulnerable he’s been. OLine recruiting hasn’t panned out. WR evaluations have slipped (similar to oline). And they have to replace bryce.

I would argue the demise of Belichick is overstated. Winning in the NFL is a whole different animal than in college. You can’t really turn things around immediately unless you bring in a very good to elite QB, and there are very few of those to go around. If Bill is still struggling to make the playoffs in 3-5 years, you can claim Brady was more than 50/50 responsible for that dynasty. But you still won’t be able to deny that Bill’s defense was the deciding factor in at least 2 of their Super Bowl seasons, probably 3.

FWIW I’m not fully disagreeing with you. I’ve always seen the Pats dynasty as 60/40 Brady
It’s vastly been overstated. NE hasn’t fallen off a cliff at all. And in Brady last year they were vulnerable. Brady walked out the door and handpicked the best QB vacancy in the league with young dawgs on that roster..now they got a lil long in the tooth and the “brady affect” not quit hitting the same

Advertisement
Great take on Saban and the evolving game. That said, and it's painful to say, Saban played by the rules of the day & is arguably the greatest college coach of all-time. Yeah, NIL deals tweak the landscape a bit, yet Saban has the infrastructure, resources & has proven savvy enough to adjust with the times. Bama will remain a prime contender as long as he's around.

Sabag's actual final act will be as an angry or broken man and/or one that dies very shortly post a forced retirement. The Paterno/Bowden model is the only way this will end. Baga will run on cruise control for longer than Pedo State and FSU did but the period after that will be bitter for Sabag and his family and it'll be beautiful to watch.

Is it a morbid and schadenfreude-heavy prognostication on my behalf? No doubt. But there's no doubt how these things end when a dude is aging and has no interest in anything but his profession. Time is undefeated and gratitude in sports can be extremely fickle.

Great take on Saban and the evolving game. That said, and it's painful to say, Saban played by the rules of the day & is arguably the greatest college coach of all-time. Yeah, NIL deals tweak the landscape a bit, yet Saban has the infrastructure, resources & has proven savvy enough to adjust with the times. Bama will remain a prime contender as long as he's around.
Saban played by the rules of the day??....In what world??

Advertisement
Back