Saban in the Late 90s Spent a Lot Time at Greentree (with Butch) Learning the Miami Blueprint

When BIll Miller was let go by Butch after 98, he did end up at MSU with Saban. But, Miller did not make the trip to Baton Rouge. It's all interesting, and I do think we should have hired Butch after Golden. But that ship has sailed.

Advertisement
The time to hire Butch was when he left Cleveland. **** N.C. did what we should have done, left their existing coach on as an interim coach, and hire Butch immediately. Butch was creating a monster at N.C., those teams were starting to get stacked with NFL prospects. By the way Butch was exonerated for the crap that when on up there. Right now i just want a coach that can roll out a team, that is fundamentally sound, with smart players that don't give games away like we have done the last decade. Just execute the basics

It is true. Unwritten law. Not only do not coaches burn bridges, but they willingly share intangible controls and processes with one another, because they never know when they are going to have to call on a job for the future. Everything you see Saban doing at Bama is the old JJ and Butch way, sprinkled in with some Beilichick ideals, and concepts Saban has perfected over the past 15 years. SABAN EVEN STOLE TOMMY MOFFITT AWAY FROM US AND BROUGHT HIM TO LSU!! Technically, Saban should be within the Butch Davis coaching tree.

This one of the best post in a long time. (y) 🏅

I agree ...There has not been a S& C like our very own Tommy Moffitt-and It shows!

Last edited:
Advertisement
JJ had James from Washington and Osborne from NE come in to camps, including the old speed camp. Both went back and took thier programs to NCs. I never like that even if James was old Cane QB. There is a reason coaching is a serious good ole boys club. They all pay dues early and often to make sure they have landing spots. There should be asterisks bad James' half a title and all of Saban's crediting 50% of each to THE U. What's that give us, like four more or better yeat 8 or 9 more shared NC's? I like that.

Advertisement
Advertisement
The CIS attitude-if a poster claims something, it must be true.

For example, if a poster claims that Nick Saban spent a lot of time at Greentree, it must be true.
So did Bill Belichek. I saw him...and Vince Lombardi... I saw them all at Greentree, in the late '90's.

With my own eyes....

Advertisement
JJ had James from Washington and Osborne from NE come in to camps, including the old speed camp. Both went back and took thier programs to NCs. I never like that even if James was old Cane QB. There is a reason coaching is a serious good ole boys club. They all pay dues early and often to make sure they have landing spots. There should be asterisks bad James' half a title and all of Saban's crediting 50% of each to THE U. What's that give us, like four more or better yeat 8 or 9 more shared NC's? I like that.
we had speed camps under JJ?

Details?

So, Saban is part of the Butch tree. Does that mean he also spawned Smart, Muschamp, the shark-lover, and maniac on the Tennessee sideline?
Saban is older than Butch...In 1998 Saban (while at MSU) came to Greentree to watch UM Practice, etc...a few times...not the only coach to do that...

Advertisement
Back