Saban has retired.

I guess I partially agree with that. I wouldn't leave Texas for Bama right now. Kids went to Tuscaloosa for Saban. I've already seen former greats and all-pros saying they would have hit the portal the next day if Saban retired when they were there.

I have a feeling whoever takes the job is going to have a hard time aligning with the powers of that program who haven't had to lift a finger in 15 years. No one is going to run it like Saban. Someone is going to be tricked into thinking they're taking over the same Alabama program that they've seen in the last 2 decades and expect cruise control to be on and it'll ruin their career. That or the powers are going to assume it's on cruise control and whoever they hire is going to get the Bama recruiting bump and thrive because of the name Alabama not realizing how much power Saban actually had.

Not sure which way it goes just yet. Beyond hiring Kirby or Sark.. I can't really see a way it doesn't end poorly for someone.

There’s always some prick administrator who’s been lurking in the shadows waiting to strike when a power vacuum presents itself.

Having a strong and successful coach like Saban keeps that from happening. I don’t know if the new coach will be able to identify that person/group quickly enough keep it from happening.

****, it happened at Miami when Botch left. The admissions department usurped a ton of influence and power from Coker and Shannon.

Advertisement
Deboer has no history of recruiting. Maybe this a good thing in the long run.

If it’s DeBoer it’s good for us. He’s a great coach and will win, but he’s not a dynamo on the trail (at least not yet). An extra player or two that picks us over Bama will be meaningful

Advertisement

That’s easy.

A substantial part of Saban’s salary is paid by the boosters.

DeBoer is not going to get paid Saban money.

Take the difference and move it towards NIL.

Regardless of what you may hear in the news, most NIL deals are high 5-figure; low 6-figure deals for top end high school talent.

For college superstar talent, it’s like mid 6-figures and that’s rare.

If you pay DeBoer $8M (double what he’s making now) and you’d still save $4M a year for NIL

Advertisement
Saban’s ultimate analyst move? Have a totally different head coach and himself as analyst? /s
He’s gonna be the Jerry Jones of Alabama football.
No top tier hc is gonna want that unless it’s a significant pay raise.
Thats why the Washington guy and norvell make the most sense.
But imagine having that guy over shoulder.

Advertisement
Advertisement
They are attempting to prevent kids from transferring. That is the only reason for the rush. I want them to **** this up.
Kids are going to transfer no matter what, you really think rushing and hiring the UW coach is going to stop a kid from transferring?

Kids are going to transfer no matter what, you really think rushing and hiring the UW coach is going to stop a kid from transferring?
The elite kids likely stay but the backups could transfer regardless.

1) FSU fans freaking out that Norvell will leave for Alabama to replace the greatest coach of all time is very much in line with their overall delusion. I think he would be a disaster there. The guy folded like a cheap chair when his team didn't make the playoffs, I can only imagine how he'd handle the pressure of THAT job, especially with his HS recruiting deficiencies.

2) if it is DeBoer, I never thought Alabama would go with someone who wasn't more of a guarantee. The guy is a good coach, for sure, but it's not certain he would be a guarantee success like an Urban hire would be. Especially not having experience coaching in an environment like that with the expectations. It could go real bad, which I'm here for.

Advertisement
Back