Saban has retired.

DeBoer is a remarkable 104-12

His record is 104-12. Guy knows how to coach football

That 104 has 67 FBS wins.

If Miami was hiring him you could consider it a home run hire. But Alabama is potentially hiring a guy who only has 4 seasons under his belt at the FBS level and two of those seasons were at Fresno where he went 12-6. So, as far as Alabama standards go, you have two seasons to pull from that show success. College football is FILLED with guys who had a couple good seasons.

When Nick Saban was hired it wasn't a question of "if" but "when" he would win a national championship, and then how many. Nobody is saying that if they hire DeBoer. That's my point. If they hired Urban (realistic or not) you would get a very similar buzz. "When" will he win a championship, not "if".

Advertisement
Speaking from personal experience, that’s not how that works.

It’s not an automated machine that just keeps running.

A lot of what was being done, was being done at the direction/vision of Saban. Yes, he doesn’t do it on his own, but it is done at his behest.

I’ve left places I’ve worked at “like a well-oiled machines” only to find out years later that the bedrock of the concept/vision eroded and was never taken care of.

I expect the same to happen at Bama.
We’ll see. Saban retiring doesn’t mean Saban isn’t on standby and is gonna let it sink and from what i hear around those parts he’ll still be involved.

Lanning was at home watching a Bourne movie. His house is a long way from Alabama. That nonsense was fed by a television (KVAL) guy from Eugene who "knew people" in Tuscaloosa. oops! Some players called Lanning and he put down the rumor. One can find the next morning's team meeting on youtube. Good luck with M.C. and good luck to the next QB he fails to develop. Lanning has as much passion for the game as Cristobal has management issues. So, a ton of passion.
Miami from the past was awesome. I remember being glad we never played them because that team was on another level of excellence.
You're still here?

Lol

We’ll see. Saban retiring doesn’t mean Saban isn’t on standby and is gonna let it sink and from what i hear around those parts he’ll still be involved.

True, but doesn’t his presence add another layer of complexity to an impossible task?

Having the legend/architect of what you’re trying to keep afloat AND improve is not what I’d consider a setup for equal or greater success.

Advertisement
True, but doesn’t his presence add another layer of complexity to an impossible task?

Having the legend/architect of what you’re trying to keep afloat AND improve is not what I’d consider a setup for equal or greater success.
I can't imagine any coach with any sort of success taking the Alabama job if they're told Saban will be upstairs watching over you.

That would be a deal breaker for me atleast.

Sarkisian: staying
Lanning: staying
Norvell: staying

that leaves only DeBoer from the group of the rumored candidates.

How far in the pecking order is the name of the Miami Hurricanes Football Head Coach, Mario Cristobal, in your opinion?

And if you were Rad who would be you first call if Alabama take Mario?

Last edited:

How far in the pecking order is the name of the Miami Hurricanes Football Head Coach, Mario Cristobal, in your opinion?
GIF by Smasher Network

Advertisement

All four have the same agent. So I would surmise that he put it out there that they were all top candidates, got them all raises, and then one that's left will get the job.

Advertisement
Norvell is a good coach man. He goes to Bama and now he doesn’t have tov

yall are underselling the structure Saban is leaving behind. Norvell doesn’t have to recruit at Bama just hire people who will for him. Talk about a logo that recruits itself and believe it or not has kids were impressed with fsu they’ll be excited to play for him at Bama. And the wash guy is a freaking stud I’d hate to see him there
Alabama will not recruit at the same level with Norvell as with Saban.
It’s a whole different level with the midget.
Dude has a mystique and a prestige that no other coach has right now.
The logo isn’t the same with a new coach.
It’s the mistake that everyone has made down here. New coaches have always believed that they can just walk into any hs in the tricounty area and get whoever they want case they have a U on their polo.

If any new coach thinks that that A is gonna sell itself they’re crazy.
That A sells cause that midget has a lot of rings and respect. Bama has changed coordinators, position coaches, etc…. and the only constant has been little Nicky.

Recruits are gonna want to see at least one season before they just jump on board no questions asked
Will they get visits and crystal balls? Yes. Will they be in everyone’s top 10 yes.
Will they land a number one class? Remains to be seen.

Day hasn’t won a chip since Urban left. And he’s even had more recruiting success and nfl qb’s than Urban.

Advertisement
That 104 has 67 FBS wins.

If Miami was hiring him you could consider it a home run hire. But Alabama is potentially hiring a guy who only has 4 seasons under his belt at the FBS level and two of those seasons were at Fresno where he went 12-6. So, as far as Alabama standards go, you have two seasons to pull from that show success. College football is FILLED with guys who had a couple good seasons.

When Nick Saban was hired it wasn't a question of "if" but "when" he would win a national championship, and then how many. Nobody is saying that if they hire DeBoer. That's my point. If they hired Urban (realistic or not) you would get a very similar buzz. "When" will he win a championship, not "if".

It's even worse than that on the 67 wins at Sioux Falls.

Sioux Falls is an NAIA school.

Look, what he has done in TWO YEARS at Washington was impressive. Before that, he had 2 years at Fresno State.

That is NOT the resume of Saban, Stallings, or Bryant.

Allegedly DeBoer had the extension on his table for months ready to be signed. Why he didn't sign it?

Maybe his agent, the same as Nick Saban, knew something could potentially be available at the end of the year.

Remember: Saban tried to poach Ryan Grubb from Washington last year, it probably means that DeBoer, at least offensively, has the stamp of approval from the goat.

brian-windhorst.jpg

I really hope DeBoer stays at UW, he's better than being known as Saban's replacement. Does anyone think Josh Heupel could be a dark horse candidate for Bama? It's probably not happening for a number of reasons including Sexton not being his agent.

And if you were Rad who would be you first call if Alabama take Mario?
Jamey Chadwell.

Advertisement
Back