Saban has retired.

Advertisement
This is one of the reasons I doubt that Norvell ends up there. In what world do 3-5 coaching candidates say no to Bama? If Lane is offered the job he’s taking it.
Not that crazy to me. I absolutely would not want to follow Nick Saban at Alabama. Anyone who has a statue is not someone I’m interested in being after

I seriously doubt they touch Lane with all the headaches he caused there as an assistant. There’s a reason Saban told him to gtfoh.
This is true, albeit since he’s been clean at Ole Miss does that help his case? Seems like he’s less of a ****up now. Like you said though, he did cause headaches there and burned bridges.

Advertisement
This is true, albeit since he’s been clean at Ole Miss does that help his case?
This guy was a straight up menace at Bama lmao. Lucky for them it was T Town and not South Florida. I doubt they risk it . But who knows ?

Alabama can’t do better? He’s a good coach but this seems underwhelming for Alabama.
The Bama job is one of the premeire jobs in college football. However, coaches are probably making a smart choice not to walk into a pressure cooker immediately following the greatest cfb of all time. Would you date/marry a person who was 10/model type but is a known cokehead, thief, spends excessively, and is ill-tempered?

Advertisement
He’s Barry Bonds et al with the MLB commissioner as his good friend.
ESPN had two interests. Bama and lebron. They can do whatever. Everyone knows he cheated which is why he is so nice to ex coaches. Talk to anyone who worked for him or whose kid was recruited by him. I’m glad it was Michigan who retired him. Harbuagh at least had the balls to call him out years ago.

This guy was a straight up menace at Bama lmao. Lucky for them it was T Town and not South Florida. I doubt they risk it . But who knows ?
I’ve got a Bama friend who put it nicely, I think. Lane at Bama would either be him as the savior or an eventual 30 for 30 about the guy who ruined Alabama football. It’d either be amazing or a disaster, no in between. And the menace part, oh man idk if he’d be able to control himself in Tuscaloosa. He definitely didn’t the first time like you said.

This is one of the reasons I doubt that Norvell ends up there. In what world do 3-5 coaching candidates say no to Bama? If Lane is offered the job he’s taking it.

The world where people with brains know that you don't want to try to fill Saban's shoes. The only candidates I think wouldn't be scared off by that are:

1. HCs with multiple natties who can tell the fans to STFU when the fans and boosters want blood after they lose a game (Dabo, Meyer).
2. Very early career coaches who might as well swing for the fences (Lanning)
3. Demoted former HCs who are now coordinators or media talking heads, who really have nothing to lose. Think Sarkisian and Texas. (Skrong, Mullen, big list of coaches here)
4. Very dumb coaches (I'm not going to list these as I'm sure most of you already know which coaches fall into this category)

IMO, coaches with cushy gigs aren't going to be interested (Lane, Stoops), because it's a pressure cooker unlike any other in CFB.

And if Harbaugh were to leave for the NFL, I would rank Michigan as a better job because at least with Michigan, most Meechigan fans are a bit more intelligent and fully aware of how long it took Harbaugh to build that program (well the Michigan fans I know anyways). Most know that it might take a bit of time to reload talent after the draft. There would be pressure but I think the would cut the next guy more slack than Bama fans will with their respective coaches.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I’ve got a Bama friend who put it nicely, I think. Lane at Bama would either be him as the savior or an eventual 30 for 30 about the guy who ruined Alabama football. It’d either be amazing or a disaster, no in between. And the menace part, oh man idk if he’d be able to control himself in Tuscaloosa
He’s right lol

The Bama job is one of the premeire jobs in college football. However, coaches are probably making a smart choice not to walk into a pressure cooker immediately following the greatest cfb of all time. Would you date/marry a person who was 10/model type but is a known cokehead, thief, spends excessively, and is ill-tempered?
You either need huge nuts , big confidence , dellusion beyond belief or all the above for that job lol.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back