Saban has retired.

Advertisement
Bonds was a very good hitter before his noggin swole to 10x its normal size. He was HOF bound pre-steroids, but I seriously doubt he'd be considered the most feared hitter ever. He and Ken Griffey Jr. were 1a and 1b for best hitter in MLB over the 1st 12 years of their careers. Griffey had slightly better power numbers (.568 slugging, 438 HRs to .551 slugging 374 HRs for Bonds), but Bonds struck out less. He was also a much better base stealer before he bulked up to the size of a sherman tank. Biggest difference is Griffey didn't cheat and use steroids, so his career followed a normal human trajectory and he started to decline in his 30s. Bonds started juicing when he hit his early 30s, which is when he should have started declining if he'd been a normal human being (I believe the investigation shows he started injecting testosterone directly into his forehead starting in 1999).

IMO Saban's cheating- having boosters drop bags so he could buy a team full of first round draft picks and have a massive talent edge over every one else- takes him down a notch in my book. Honestly I'd rank Urban Meyer over Saban as HCs. Meyer is a scumbag in terms of personal integrity, but he proved he could win without resources. He took over a 5-6 Utah team, then went 10-2, then 12-0 in his first 2 years. He then took over a 7-5 Florida team, and won a 2 championships in his first 4 years. Then he goes to a 6-7 Ohio State team and goes 12-0 in his FIRST SEASON, then wins a championship in year 3.

Saban was garbage in 4 out of his first 5 years at Michigan State , when he couldn't cheat and have boosters buy him a team. Then he goes to the two dirtiest bag schools in the country, LSU and Bama, and wins a bunch of titles. Could he have won if he'd had to compete on a level playing field recruiting-wise? Maybe, but we never really saw it so we'll never know. Frankly, if you gave me a choice today between hiring Urban Meyer or hiring Nick Saban, I'd take Meyer.
This is a fair assessment. Most here are just outright dismissing Saban and that’s nonsense

. Meyer is a scumbag in terms of personal integrity, but he proved he could win without resources. He took over a 5-6 Utah team, then went 10-2, then 12-0 in his first 2 years. He then took over a 7-5 Florida team, and won a 2 championships in his first 4 years. Then he goes to a 6-7 Ohio State team and goes 12-0 in his FIRST SEASON, then wins a championship in year 3.

Please, Meyer inherited talent at every stop, especially UF & OSU.

not funny GIF

Then we can hear about some more why he would never be allowed to be the coach at UM as he dunks on us year after year. It would catapult the Semenholes to guaranteed top 5-10 status year in and year out while stopping any momentum Mario tries to gain.

I’d rather Norvell stay out unless him leaving doesn’t equal Lane to Tally
He's not going to **** you. You know this, right?

Advertisement
If Norvell did somehow land the Bama job, how attractive would the FSU job be? They just got screwed out of the playoffs despite being 13-0, the ACC rightfully thought to be suspect. it would still be a better job than some others but I don’t know if it’s attractive as many others. Maybe I’m wrong.

Why would Kiffin leave an SEC job for the ACC? Especially if Alabama, and perhaps Georgia, if Smart leaves for the NFL, drop off depending on who they hired as replacements.

A lot of speculation in this game of dominoes.

Advertisement
Advertisement
not funny GIF

Then we can hear about some more why he would never be allowed to be the coach at UM as he dunks on us year after year. It would catapult the Semenholes to guaranteed top 5-10 status year in and year out while stopping any momentum Mario tries to gain.

I’d rather Norvell stay out unless him leaving doesn’t equal Lane to Tally

The slim bit of amusement I could find in Kiffin going to FSU and making them title contenders every year, is that I kept receipts of the huge list of people who mocked me (and @Memnon and @gogeta4 so have to give them credit as well) when I said hiring Kiffin was a far better move than hiring Cristobal.
"Kiffin can't recruit", "Kiffin will get the team the death penalty", etc. Any time this list of people post anything critical of my opinions, I'll just laugh and reply with this:

stfu GIF

BTW my favorite is back when Kiffin was at FAU and Richt retired, I said Kiffin would have been the ideal replacement as he had gone through Saban career rehab and that you would not find a better coach for the amount of money we were willing to put towards the program. Several posters were adamant that Kiffin would NEVER get a P5 job ever again and UM would be a laughingstock for hiring him. Well, since then he's turned Ole Miss around, and turned down an offer from Auburn, may be a legit contender for the Bama job, and is making UM fans peepee their pants at the prospects of him at UF or FSU.

Advertisement
Wait a second, are you saying that Norvell to Bama is potentially a real thing? If yes I must be living in an alternate universe. They would go from the kind of college football to Mike freaking Norvell?
Oh it’s very possible. As I said “ players at Fsu thinks it’s him”. Then mix in the Vegas numbers that’s came out recently.

I know Bama typically recruit$ itself. However, is Norvell a good enough recruiter for them. Going to be tough for whoever follows Saban regardless.

Advertisement
Back