Ryan mayes

Hard to start competing on a national level again when we are, in essence, keeping ourselves on probation by playing with 74 when the FSU's, VT's, and UNC's are all playing with 85.

Attrition happens with a new staff in place

We all knew folks were going to get pushed out. That being said, why didn't we sign a full class last year? We only signed 24.

Why do you think?

Think about it really hard.

Advertisement
First year in awhile we have actually been eligible to have 85 scholarships...and we are headed into camp with only 74 scholarship players (including Ford who has yet to report). There must be some reason to trim the numbers this low. Might it have something to do with the early signing period in December causing those scholarships to count toward the 85 immediately? Anyone have any insight on this?

I dont think we want to be at 74, we are simply getting rid of players that were not going to play anyway.

Advertisement
Bummer that we have no depth at several positions. Could put us in a jam this year, especially against spread or uptempo teams like UNC. But I'm not sure Mayes would have helped even if we truly needed him. We probably would have moved Redwine back over in that case and run with Carter or Knowles. ... As long as our remaining 5 guys CBs don't have multiple simultaneous injuries, we should still be fine. Young, Delaney, Dean, Jackson are as fast as any receiver in the ACC. I'm not sure about Bandy's speed yet. But if needed, he can press and physically beat up speedy receivers at the line like we all wanted Tracy Howard to be allowed to do, which should offset a speed mismatch, if any even exists.

First year in awhile we have actually been eligible to have 85 scholarships...and we are headed into camp with only 74 scholarship players (including Ford who has yet to report). There must be some reason to trim the numbers this low. Might it have something to do with the early signing period in December causing those scholarships to count toward the 85 immediately? Anyone have any insight on this?

I dont think we want to be at 74, we are simply getting rid of players that were not going to play anyway.

True. And there are still a few of those on roster, thought that number is dwindling. It will be nice in 2018 when we can finally say we have an 85-man roster of top Power 5 truly capable players, even if a big chunk of them will be underclassmen.

We won't be truly balanced until 2020, but there are no games on our regular season schedule where that should matter except FSU. Just need to avoid multiple injuries at the same time and be/get healthy for the post-season.

Bummer that we have no depth at several positions. Could put us in a jam this year, especially against spread or uptempo teams like UNC. But I'm not sure Mayes would have helped even if we truly needed him. We probably would have moved Redwine back over in that case and run with Carter or Knowles. ... As long as our remaining 5 guys CBs don't have multiple simultaneous injuries, we should still be fine. Young, Delaney, Dean, Jackson are as fast as any receiver in the ACC. I'm not sure about Bandy's speed yet. But if needed, he can press and physically beat up speedy receivers at the line like we all wanted Tracy Howard to be allowed to do, which should offset a speed mismatch, if any even exists.
Our depth is no worse than it was yesterday even before the Mayes departure. He wasn't going to help this year at all

Advertisement

Only positions we don't have depth is at te and maybe db I guess but that's getting fixed with this class

5 cbs is the more than the amount we had last year.

Not many programs have a rb depth chart of
Mark walton 4star
Travis homer 4 star
Trayone gray 3 star
Robert burns 3star(former 5 star)
Deejay dallas 4 star

Hard to start competing on a national level again when we are, in essence, keeping ourselves on probation by playing with 74 when the FSU's, VT's, and UNC's are all playing with 85.

We all knew folks were going to get pushed out. That being said, why didn't we sign a full class last year? We only signed 24.

We didn't want to bring in more jags

The []_[];2947192 said:
Still can't believe we took Ryan Mayes over Quincy Wilson smh.

Thanks Al, u *******. Didnt Mayes botch a fumble recovery last year?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Pretty sure there's a Walk on CB that was ahead of him (Murphy??)

Still more fat to trim

Mahoney
Milo
McCray
One of the upperclassmen QB's

Who else am I missing?

Last edited:
Lord please no injuries in the secondary this season

Its all good im pretty sure they would move guys arpund like homer if it got really bad

Lol our 2nd RB?

We havent heard anything about him which IMO over the years is a bad sign..........on the other hand we have summer camp to find out if hes legit so rt now u can lol.......if we dont hear from him in the summer its a red flag for me (maybe not for u) but for me...........and if hes a savage and rips it im okay with that too. Its just when they lost Amac it was a huge blow because Burns is made of glass so its like they didnt trust homer.......maybe im looking to far into it but we will see.......I think he was be a reall reeaaalll god db if he was ever moved im saying this as an opinion its my opinion just in case erbody trips........im wrong alot like everyone else

Lord please no injuries in the secondary this season

Its all good im pretty sure they would move guys arpund like homer if it got really bad

Lol our 2nd RB?

We havent heard anything about him which IMO over the years is a bad sign..........on the other hand we have summer camp to find out if hes legit so rt now u can lol.......if we dont hear from him in the summer its a red flag for me (maybe not for u) but for me...........and if hes a savage and rips it im okay with that too. Its just when they lost Amac it was a huge blow because Burns is made of glass so its like they didnt trust homer.......maybe im looking to far into it but we will see.......I think he was be a reall reeaaalll god db if he was ever moved im saying this as an opinion its my opinion just in case erbody trips........im wrong alot like everyone else

Pete and dmoney both around spring time said the staff was very high on his ability at running back

Advertisement

Because everyone forgets about the Initial Counter rules.

Scholarships are more complicated than counting to 85.

This doesn't affect our depth because he was never gonna play....: there's another safety that should be on his way out pretty soon also

Advertisement
Back