Rutgers

Advertisement
Only game 2, but I think Escala needs to sit. I've watched every televised game in 2018 - present and he hasn't improved his approach at the plate. Still trying to pull outside offspeed pitches and swings at pitches way above his belt. Can't understand why little guys try to hit pitches above their belt. I don't think I've ever seen Escala make contact with a pitch above his waist let alone do something with it. Even if he makes contact with a high pitch it only going to be a pop fly at best.
Little guys need to stay in their lane. Hit line drives. Drive the ball to right field with 2 strikes. If you get out of your lane, then you need to sit.

Escala has struck out twice in each of the 1st 2 games. At that pace he'll have over 100 strikeouts on the year!!! He led the team in strikeouts last year with 64 in 53 games played. That's over 1 per game. A small guy should have under 40 in a 60 game season. Ideally averaging 0.5 per game which would be 30 in a 60 game season.

Last edited:
Any chance someone can post box scores after the game?

Or point me in the right direction pretty please and thank you...

Advertisement
You sure? I have youtube TV too. I dont think we know yet who will carry ACCN and who won't. I'd be pumped if we do.

Yes sir... found out last night looking for the matchup. I hope that means they will carry ACCN on YouTube. I’d be in hog heaven. Now all I need is for YTTV to have HGTV and I’m good (for the wife).

Advertisement
Yes sir... found out last night looking for the matchup. I hope that means they will carry ACCN on YouTube. I’d be in hog heaven. Now all I need is for YTTV to have HGTV and I’m good (for the wife).

View attachment 80536

I noticed this too. But this shows you can watch the game through ACCN Extra. I believe ACCN Extra is a package of ACC events that are not aired on regular TV that ESPN bought the rights for to be shown on WatchESPN. I'm not sure how or if it is related to the channel that's coming out in August.

A grinding offensive performance tonight. Through the Alumni Game and two games against Rutgers, it appears that this is a team that intends to work the count and wear down opposition pitching. The 2016 team used this strategy to good effect. Great to see Toral get off to a good start. If he can be a solid power bat behind Zamora and Del Castillo, we’ll be in good shape in the heart of the order. Escala is already piling up the strikeouts with five through two games. If he can’t get that under control soon the door should be open for Gil to get more playing time.

Pitching was really good tonight. Cecconi and Gates showed why they were so highly regarded coming out of high school. I did think they, Slade in particular, were overthrowing a bit at times but that isn’t unexpected in a debut appearance. Slade made a decent case for himself if DiMare and Arteaga are still undecided about the starter for Wednesday. Federman was unhittable in his inning of work.

Hopefully we can complete the sweep tomorrow. Sunday has been our problem the last two years against Rutgers.

Advertisement
I think tomorrow is big for setting the tone on the season. No offense to Rutgers, but that’s not a team- talent wise- that should be winning a game in Miami’s Park.

Look at the arms Miami has used in this series:

Evan McKendry
Greg Veliz
Chris McMahon
Slade Cecconi
Daniel Federman
JP Gates

If Van Belle can just be a reliable 5-inning pitcher there is no reason this team can’t make my projection actually light. Two relievers in Keysor and Mixon haven’t even appeared yet and both might be Rutgers best reliever.

Advertisement
Sweep would be sweet.
Sweep would feel like it’s supposed to, which is new.

Meanwhile UF is winning their series, but not in overly impressive fashion. This is setting up for my yearly swell of fool’s confidence going into our series. A win against FAU and I might just predict us to win a game in Gainesville, alas.

A grinding offensive performance tonight. Through the Alumni Game and two games against Rutgers, it appears that this is a team that intends to work the count and wear down opposition pitching. The 2016 team used this strategy to good effect. Great to see Toral get off to a good start. If he can be a solid power bat behind Zamora and Del Castillo, we’ll be in good shape in the heart of the order. Escala is already piling up the strikeouts with five through two games. If he can’t get that under control soon the door should be open for Gil to get more playing time.

Pitching was really good tonight. Cecconi and Gates showed why they were so highly regarded coming out of high school. I did think they, Slade in particular, were overthrowing a bit at times but that isn’t unexpected in a debut appearance. Slade made a decent case for himself if DiMare and Arteaga are still undecided about the starter for Wednesday. Federman was unhittable in his inning of work.

Hopefully we can complete the sweep tomorrow. Sunday has been our problem the last two years against Rutgers.

Nice to see DiMare get a couple of power arms to campus for a change. That has been UF's formula for success for the last many years, in addition to solid defense. I like the shifts but hope we can stop the errors that plagued recent teams.

Advertisement
Back