Rutgers

Advertisement
I certainly didn’t have anywhere near a 19-3 final as my pregame expectation. I’ve been mostly unimpressed by our offense in preseason scrimmages. On the other hand, we’ve looked good the two times we’ve faced other D1 schools. Time will tell, but maybe our pitching is just very good.
McKendry had a very solid outing. Still not in his most dominant form, but well on his way to shaking the rust off after missing summer/fall.
I’m not sure what to make of having Veliz work three innings with the game out of hand. The 7th was the quintessential Veliz inning, running up his pitch count while loading the bases on walks with little ultimate damage. I keep hoping he’ll outgrow that.

I certainly didn’t have anywhere near a 19-3 final as my pregame expectation. I’ve been mostly unimpressed by our offense in preseason scrimmages. On the other hand, we’ve looked good the two times we’ve faced other D1 schools. Time will tell, but maybe our pitching is just very good.
McKendry had a very solid outing. Still not in his most dominant form, but well on his way to shaking the rust off after missing summer/fall.
I’m not sure what to make of having Veliz work three innings with the game out of hand. The 7th was the quintessential Veliz inning, running up his pitch count while loading the bases on walks with little ultimate damage. I keep hoping he’ll outgrow that.

The Veliz thing was interesting. With a big lead it was a good time to get young guys in, but maybe they wanted to keep him stretched for Wed.

Fun game, I’m excited by what I saw and the fact that guys were patient but attacking fastballs.

My projections think this team is good, so outsideif the whole being a huge fan of Miami, I also have some skin in the game for that reason.

The Veliz thing was interesting. With a big lead it was a good time to get young guys in, but maybe they wanted to keep him stretched for Wed.

Fun game, I’m excited by what I saw and the fact that guys were patient but attacking fastballs.

My projections think this team is good, so outsideif the whole being a huge fan of Miami, I also have some skin in the game for that reason.
It's just one game, but I'm very impressed. Very surprised to see several freshman starting over guys that started last year. I think that says a lot in how talented this freshman class is. Great to see Toral get off to a good start and Zamora looks like "that dude." I'm keeping an eye on Escala as he struck out twice tonight although I think he had 2 hits. He's got cut the strikeouts in half from last year. Can't have a non-power hitting striking out more times than games played.

Overall, a great start to the 2019 season.

GO CANES!!!

Advertisement
Even though it's only one game, the freshmen LH hitters appear to be a nice addition. They all take a good approach and don't try to do too much. And a Toral HR in the first game is a good sign.

Advertisement
Jenkins is not leadoff material. Needs to dramatically shorten his swing. Freshman looked good, Veliz reminds me of Mitch "Wild Thing" Williams but from the right side.

Advertisement
Advertisement
16A77126-9EFC-4D77-BB55-154E1A8A5062.jpeg

Advertisement
Back