CFB Rutgers receiver gets knocked the **** out

Assault is the threat of harm, or the reasonable apprehension of harm by the alleged victim
Battery is the offensive touching.
Aggravated Assault is the threat or attempt with a deadly weapon. think of shooting and missing
Aggravated Battery is the offensive touching but with a deadly weapon. Think of shooting and striking.

Every state is a little different in its definitions but not much.
So I had it kinda sorta basically right?

Good stuff my friend...words and definitions matter in these situations...

Appreciate you sharing...

Advertisement
dave chappelle ko GIF

Advertisement
They both walked towards each other while talking ****. They were inside each other's personal space so one dude pushed the other dude back to get some space. After that BOTH dudes put their hands up and went to swing at each other. That's mutual combat in my opinion.

According to this video the one guy was charged with Simple Assault. Im guessing its for the push. If Im correct about that then the rest of it is mutual combat.

The Back Story: These guys were playing in a pick up touch football game at the beach on July 4th and got into some smack talk and then they picked it up afterward when the initial video was shot. To me this further leads to my assertion of Mutual Combat.

There’s a counter to that. There was a bunch of yelling. The guy who shoved him initiated contact. That’s an actual battery to me. The other guy felt that he was about to get further attacked and put his hands up defensively and the initiator swung on him.

I prosecuted a murder case 20 years ago where person A kicked person B in the head (round house kick). Person B left his feet and hit head first on the pavement and died. Person A is serving a life sentence.
**** isn’t worth it.
Person A was the aggressor. It was a Halloween party and person A and his friends were “crashing” the party.
Please tell me Person A was Chuck Norris for Halloween

I would hate to be the prosecutor on this case. Your initial reaction is to go after the guy who "won" the fight. But winning should not be the deciding factor for the reasons so many of you have already discussed.
Was it mutual combat?
Is this video the conclusion of something that started earlier?
Is this part of everyday life in New Jersey? (my assumption because it's a Rutgers receiver)
Would a jury even care if the case actually went to trial?

I'll put money that this is ultimately resolved with the "winner" doing some community service or taking anger management classes and everything is wiped off his record.
Reminds me of the Oklahoma receiver getting beat up in the bathroom by the MMA fighter. Be careful who you mess with. The receiver in this "fight" is lucky the other guy didn't jump on him after knocking him out.

Please tell me Person A was Chuck Norris for Halloween
The victim was dressed as Dirk Diggler from Boogie Nights. Person A was basically a homeless young guy with a group of homeless friends who are referred to within themselves as "squatters". They travel by train and flop from town to town. Witnesses said it was a textbook round house kick. The problem started when person A made fun of person B's costume and person B called person A and his friends squatters. Like certain specific words, its cool if you are one to use it but not cool if you aren't.

Advertisement
I would hate to be the prosecutor on this case. Your initial reaction is to go after the guy who "won" the fight. But winning should not be the deciding factor for the reasons so many of you have already discussed.
Was it mutual combat?
Is this video the conclusion of something that started earlier?
Is this part of everyday life in New Jersey? (my assumption because it's a Rutgers receiver)
Would a jury even care if the case actually went to trial?

I'll put money that this is ultimately resolved with the "winner" doing some community service or taking anger management classes and everything is wiped off his record.
Reminds me of the Oklahoma receiver getting beat up in the bathroom by the MMA fighter. Be careful who you mess with. The receiver in this "fight" is lucky the other guy didn't jump on him after knocking him out.

Not sure if you saw the update video I posted in post #27. The guy who won the fight was charged with Simple Assault (misdemeanor). Again, my guess is that its because of the initial shove. After that shove, both guys stepped back and got into a fighting stance. Then they both moved forward and threw haymakers at each other. One landed. One did not.

Still frame from the video showing both dudes being mid-punch.

Mutual combat Debate.png

Advertisement
Advertisement
I used to think this stuff was cool but I don't even like seeing it anymore unless the person is a complete douche. My gut tells me the douche instigated and won the fight, which I don't like. However, I reserve judgement on that as the punchee may have been a big douche too, and then I don't really care either way.

People have died bouncing their head off the ground.. crazy
We used to act like idiots when we were younger. I think it that ESPN story, pretty sure it was about a gator football player that punched someone and they died like that

woke me up for sure

Advertisement
Back