Rusty Medearis

Advertisement
I thought country boys didn’t fit in at Miami though?
Maybe he was from the "inner city" of Ozark, which would also be the same as the "outer city" of Ozark, or more appropriately just the city of Ozark. How else can you explain his hunger, tenacity, relentlessness, motivation. effort?

On a more serious note he was just a flat out awesome player. I seem to recall him being a little light for his position and was wondering how he'd fit in the NFL and duplicate if not exceed what he did at Miami. Who knows, maybe he'd lose some weight and become somewhat more of a rushing LB?

No doubt though that he was one of the great ones.

BTW, still think it was a totally cheap shot from the o-lineman f-cker that hit him and caused his knee injury.

Great UM HOF player on a proper Cane defense. That motor, man. Relentless. The fact that he played as an underclassman on those defenses tells you all you need to know about him. And that ‘91 defense. Who could forget the Thursday night game when Houston Cougars came to town with that run and shoot and the pinball numbers. One of my Cane favorite games. Rusty and the Canes D totally blew it up. John Jenkins was never heard from again.

Last edited:
Maybe he was from the "inner city" of Ozark, which would also be the same as the "outer city" of Ozark, or more appropriately just the city of Ozark. How else can you explain his hunger, tenacity, relentlessness, motivation. effort?

On a more serious note he was just a flat out awesome player. I seem to recall him being a little light for his position and was wondering how he'd fit in the NFL and duplicate if not exceed what he did at Miami. Who knows, maybe he'd lose some weight and become somewhat more of a rushing LB?

BTW, still think it was a totally cheap shot from the o-lineman f-cker that hit him and caused his knee injury.

Takes a certain type of country kid to fit in with Miami. There certainly haven’t been many. Shockey is another one.

Rusty was awesome. And Patrick was really good, too. KP used to fight anyone and everyone in practice - those 2 guys were some badass white dudes.

also, people forgot how good Larry Jones was. 230 pound beast of a RB.

No question about it, that was one of the top 10 individual performances by one of ours all time in my opinion. I couldn't even begin to pick a top 10 in order, but it was awesome to see in person.

What could've been with that man.

Facts

Advertisement
Takes a certain type of country kid to fit in with Miami. There certainly haven’t been many. Shockey is another one.

Rusty was awesome. And Patrick was really good, too. KP used to fight anyone and everyone in practice - those 2 guys were some badass white dudes.

also, people forgot how good Larry Jones was. 230 pound beast of a RB.

Had to look up Larry Jones as I didn't recall him offhand. 😉

Great UM HOF player on a proper Cane defense. That motor, man. Relentless. The fact that he played as an underclassman on those defenses tells you all you need to know about him. And that ‘91 defense. Who could forget the Thursday night game when Houston Cougars came to town with that run and shoot and the pinball numbers. One of my Cane favorite games. Rusty and the Canes D totally blew it up. John Jenkins was never heard from again.
That game left that program in shambles for years. It was almost the 90's version of the beating Miami gave Washington.

Last edited:
That game left that program in shambles for years. It was the almost the 90's version of the beating Miami gave Washington.
Wish that Washington game could have gone 8 quarters. Nobody wearing a W on their hat deserved to survive that night.

Can anyone imagine what the score would have been if JJ was the coach of that 2001 team?

Medearis had one of the quickest first steps I've ever seen. Forget 40-yrd times, that kid was a blink of the eye in moving 6-8 yards. He was almost impossible to block.

Advertisement
Doing a search on Rusty, it appears Rusty’s 15 year old son just passed away in March. Very sad.

Wish that Washington game could have gone 8 quarters. Nobody wearing a W on their hat deserved to survive that night.

Can anyone imagine what the score would have been if JJ was the coach of that 2001 team?

Miami is pulling out Portis and Najeh...and in comes Frank Gore. Oh Boy.

That Houston Coach was just 30 years too early with that offense. He would be a perennial 10 win coach in todays era.

Advertisement

Probably along the lines of Ga Tech vs Cumberland in 1916. 😂

Advertisement
Let me tell you a story about Rusty.

If I’m not mistaken JJ went to a HS game to see a stud OL tackle and WALA this stud was get destroyed by Rust a skinny DE that absolutely annihilated the OL stud.

After the game JJ went straight to Rusty and ask if he’s being recruited, Rusty said he has ZERO offers or any corespondents from any college.

JJ said young man I’m coach JJ of the University of Miami Hurricanes and I’m offering you a full scholarship, will you please play for me.

Rusty broke down in tears , this moment ignited a 🔥 of PASSION that fueled Rusty to be one of the greatest DE in the U history.

True story brothers.

GOCANES
I’m skeptical. I have a recollection of Rusty being well known nationally and receiving official visits from some very good schools. Can’t prove it now, I’d have to find my old recruiting publications that I might have saved somewhere but too much work to find them.I think you might be wrong about no interest for Rusty out of HS. I knew his name during the recruiting period so it was likely he was on radar of the recruiting publications.

We did get some guys who were nowhere to be found on national recruiting service publications: Anthony Hamlet and Eric Miller in that video came out of nowhere. Greg Mark never appeared in a national pub. Neither did Leon Searcy. Kevin Williams, on the other hand, was first team USAToday A-A. He was one who recruited UM rather than the other way around.

One of the most forgotten Cane great of all time. He would have been a top 2 DE in Canes history had he not gotten hurt. (Stubbs) I think he would have benefited from todays technology when it comes to injuries. But definitely a legendary player on that 1991 team. Dont forget his performance against FSU in 1991 too.
Top 2 with Stubbs no. 1? Is that what you’re trying to say? You never saw Ted Hendricks then.

It WAS a cheap shot. Everybody knew that.
We had 3 very good DEs, I think all in the same class, recruited by JJ, Patrick, Rusty and Krein. Exceptional college players but none made it in NFL. (Rusty didn’t have a chance obviously.)

Advertisement
Back