Rusty Medearis

Advertisement
Probably along the lines of Ga Tech vs Cumberland in 1916. 😂
I loved JJ but I’m not one to believe JJ would have scored more points. Erickson has a wide-open very potent offense. JJ ran the old Gary Stevens offense which he inherited from Schnellenberger who inherited it from Shula who inherited it from Paul Brown perhaps through Weeb Ewbank. I can’t remember that part right now. It was the same concept that Paul Brown ran with the great 1950’s Cleveland Browns teams with Otto Graham as QB. It was a very effective offense that had great success over the years. Of course it evolved as it passed through many hands, and some very good hands.

I think Dennis’ offense, which received a lot of praise from other coaches at the time (Terry Donahue and Bob Karmelowicz were two—Bob told me personally) was perhaps more explosive.

My beeper code was 98 (a lot of you young ******** here won't even know what that was you ****s) because of him, the guys on my team at school use to mess with me calling me Rusty, not because of my play sadly, but cus i busted my knee against MCD and watching the rest of the season on the sidelines on crutches.

Another player that gets forgotten how much of a stud he was, he belongs up there with the greats, and another one of those what would have been if not for knee injuries.

Takes a certain type of country kid to fit in with Miami. There certainly haven’t been many. Shockey is another one.

Rusty was awesome. And Patrick was really good, too. KP used to fight anyone and everyone in practice - those 2 guys were some badass white dudes.

also, people forgot how good Larry Jones was. 230 pound beast of a RB.
I watched him (Jones) play in an exhibition with Redskins and he was not the same. Another unheralded, unknown, unrecruited player. We had so many....like the guys I mentioned earlier, Jimmie Jones, Russ Maryland, even Torretta.

I remember mentioning Torretta to Alan Wallace of Superprep Magazine. He was the California expert. He never heard of Torretta. (We only took him because of his older brother Geoff.) Fast forward and he wins the Heisman.

just shows that, at least back then, so many slipped under the radar.

Last edited:
Advertisement
It WAS a cheap shot. Everybody knew that.h
We had 3 very good DEs, I think all in the same class, recruited by JJ, Patrick, Rusty and Krein. Exceptional college players but none made it in NFL. (Rusty didn’t have a chance obviously.)
Yeah I read something wherein Medearis and that ***** lineman supposedly both said it was just part of the game. Don't believe for a second that Medearis said that though.
And yes Krein was good too. Pretty sure he was from Colorado or somewhere out west.

Rusty is one of my favorite players. His film that I've watched on him shows a beast of a DE that didn't want to lose...ever. Like every play was a matter of life and death.

Had he not got hurt, his scouting report would've said something like:

Extremely high motor
Good speed
Technique freak
Unparalled Work Ethic

Advertisement
Let me tell you a story about Rusty.

If I’m not mistaken JJ went to a HS game to see a stud OL tackle and WALA this stud was get destroyed by Rust a skinny DE that absolutely annihilated the OL stud.

After the game JJ went straight to Rusty and ask if he’s being recruited, Rusty said he has ZERO offers or any corespondents from any college.

JJ said young man I’m coach JJ of the University of Miami Hurricanes and I’m offering you a full scholarship, will you please play for me.

Rusty broke down in tears , this moment ignited a 🔥 of PASSION that fueled Rusty to be one of the greatest DE in the U history.

True story brothers.

GOCANES
It's been years since I heard that story. That's just awesome. When a reporter asked a Nebraska player who was better, Miami or Washington, since Nebraska played both of us in 91, the guy said, "Miami. Washington didn't have #98."

Let me tell you a story about Rusty.

If I’m not mistaken JJ went to a HS game to see a stud OL tackle and WALA this stud was get destroyed by Rust a skinny DE that absolutely annihilated the OL stud.

After the game JJ went straight to Rusty and ask if he’s being recruited, Rusty said he has ZERO offers or any corespondents from any college.

JJ said young man I’m coach JJ of the University of Miami Hurricanes and I’m offering you a full scholarship, will you please play for me.

Rusty broke down in tears , this moment ignited a 🔥 of PASSION that fueled Rusty to be one of the greatest DE in the U history.

True story brothers.

GOCANES
Weird because Rusty told a different story at the UM Hall of Fame induction. Says he was being recruited by everyone and was asked who he hasn’t been recruited by that he wants to. He said Miami and his coach called Soldinger who he coached and got Rusty an offer.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Definitely top 10 favorite Canes ever. All I can picture is him clutching his helmet ready to swing it while fighting during that Colorado game brawl. I loved him.

I would put Rusty , Kevin Patrick and Greg Marks is in the mix as one of all time best DE combo coming off the edge
I know considering the company I putting them in its saying a lot but these dudes brought constant unrelenting pressure .

I was Blessed to witness it all

GOCANES

Weird because Rusty told a different story at the UM Hall of Fame induction. Says he was being recruited by everyone and was asked who he hasn’t been recruited by that he wants to. He said Miami and his coach called Soldinger who he coached and got Rusty an offer.

correct. Rusty was actually a pretty highly
Recruited guy. 4 star equivalent type of recruit, iirc. Was part of one of the all time best classes UM has ever signed

correct. Rusty was actually a pretty highly
Recruited guy. 4 star equivalent type of recruit, iirc. Was part of one of the all time best classes UM has ever signed
It seems I was mistaken on whom my story was about it could have been Kevin Patrick or Greg Marks .
One thing I do know it did happen to one of the other two if not Rusty .

Thanks to helping me on this story

GOCANES

Advertisement
Back