Running info on Bama.

Advertisement
Every one of our players came to Miami hoping to have a shot to play and win against Alabama.
Don't want to harsh your buzz, but I'm not sure we've had a great stretch of recruiting those type players in the recent past. 20 years ago we sure did, but situational awareness shows us a lot has changed at the U, including sanctions.

Now I'm trying to be optimistic for this opener, but answer me this - if you were any of the starting QBs since Bama has been on their tear, would you hope to get a shot at them behind the O-line, WR's and RB's they've had?

Man they start a lot of freshmen year in and year out! Saban truly plays the best guys and doesn’t care about hurt feelings lol. We need to be doing that!
Ya for some reason it takes 3 years to learn our defensive system smh. I'm ok with Hall and Golden starting at safety but there's no way Carter should be playing over James or Tae literally the #1 an #2 safety's in there class! Jennings an Sneed should be bench riders it's time for Flagg TAC Huff an Brooks when he gets healthy to be playing backer! Keontra should have been moved to Will to start the spring. Chase Smith should be the #2 Sticker in that case. With KSmith at Will which we all know he can ball it would add more speed to our D an he's not a question mark! That would leave 5 guys to battle for the Mike backer position can't tell me one of those guys can't get the job done! This is huge it's the middle of our defence Jennings had like 33 tackles as Mike backer last year his *** should not even be mentioned as starting at all! And if there isn't a guy who can get it done out of those 5 hit the portal an grab someone I'd love to see the Tennessee kid or USC transfers come in but it needs to be fixed and from. If no transfer I wouldn't mind Flagg, TAC, or Brooks at Mike if they don't wanna move Keontra to Will I'd go With Brooks an Huff or Brooks an TAC. All just my opinion this seniority **** is getting old kids are coming in ready to play these days Bama is stacked with talent an they play the best man I just don't get it!

Agreed and agree with a lot of @HighSeas initial post. This game has a lot of makings of a potential upset but several things:

1. I would be shocked if Jacorey Brooks doesn’t beat out Baker and Leary doesn’t beat out Bolden as a starter.
2. Chris Owens was a part time starter last year but would be surprised if one of Latham or Brockermeyer don’t win a starting tackle job at some point.
3. Brian Robinson isn’t close to Najee Harris but they have a lot of good backs returning and think Jawan is their best going into this season (pending on how good Camar Wheaton will be).

Offense overall: If there was ever one game to rely on TS, Bolden, etc. and to force their new qb to throw this would be it. Young was a star coming out but he is very very raw. Can't let him get into a rhythm with an initial running game and short passes. Let's see what he can actually do and trust Couch, etc. more. Also I agree there is an experience drop-off for them, but not in overall talent. They have a ton of inexperienced, raw talent.

-Defensively they are going to be nasty. If I could do an actual prediction this will be their first borderline great defense in a while. They've played lots of underclassmen the last few years and now it will show on the field those benefits: DJ Dale, Tim Smith, Christian Harris, Will Anderson, Dupree, Battle, etc.

Lashlee and Justice need an actual plan for Will Anderson or he will kill King. We can't be afraid to be aggressive and make plays. Being too conservative will have us barely crossing midfield most of the game.
ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK on Offense. The competitiveness of this game will boil down to our WRs making MULTIPLE big plays down the field. As you mentioned, conservative play will allow Bama to box us in and that's not what we want....I would compare it to being in a boxing ring with Tyson plus Ali plus Frazier and you're by YOURSELF.....will not turn out good.....last two times Bama lost games was by LSU and Clemson, and those two teams made Play after Play after Play after Play down the field in the passing game. That is the ONLY recipe for success vs Bama because you will not stop them on OFF, and you will not dink and dump down the field for long drives

I'm sorry but we are going to get worked dog. And it has nothing to do with coaching.....if u put Diaz at bama right now and saban on our sideline they still clap us. Too many dogs over there just like Coker had to many dogs.

It's one thing to acknowledge we're the underdogs and they have more talent on their team. It's another thing to **** all over yourself afraid our players are going to get sodomized by the meat with elk antlers.

The game is played for a reason. Better teams lose all the time. Bama is ripe for that. I strongly suspect they don't go undefeated again. There's no reason we can't be the guys to pop them off. The odds are we won't be. But I'm not going to assume a fetal position when talking about big bad Bama.

Advertisement
It's one thing to acknowledge we're the underdogs and they have more talent on their team. It's another thing to **** all over yourself afraid our players are going to get sodomized by the meat with elk antlers.

The game is played for a reason. Better teams lose all the time. Bama is ripe for that. I strongly suspect they don't go undefeated again. There's no reason we can't be the guys to pop them off. The odds are we won't be. But I'm not going to assume a fetal position when talking about big bad Bama.
That game if we win it changes the program. It's a possible shift if we win and take advantage of it.

ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK on Offense. The competitiveness of this game will boil down to our WRs making MULTIPLE big plays down the field. As you mentioned, conservative play will allow Bama to box us in and that's not what we want....I would compare it to being in a boxing ring with Tyson plus Ali plus Frazier and you're by YOURSELF.....will not turn out good.....last two times Bama lost games was by LSU and Clemson, and those two teams made Play after Play after Play after Play down the field in the passing game. That is the ONLY recipe for success vs Bama because you will not stop them on OFF, and you will not dink and dump down the field for long drives
Exactly. If Lashlee gets too cute on offense with multiple dive plays to set up a obvious long pass when they’re ‘least expecting’ it, except a Clemson like beatdown. If he and the offensive staff actually put real effort in an agressive game plan then we have a chance.

also in their last scrimmage like I mentioned Anderson (as well as Allen ) were pressuring the **** out of their 2nd string qb most of it. I don’t trust Mallory to help chip/block those guys so we will see what we have in store for those guys.

Every one of our players came to Miami hoping to have a shot to play and win against Alabama. Every one of our coaches did the same. We used to be Bama. So I do not accept that we're just going to lie down and die. I personally am looking forward to seeing how our team responds to the challenge.
You saw this last year when we played unc and Clemson.... with a fully healthy Qb. It sucks but that’s what you’ll see with this coach again

I'm sorry but we are going to get worked dog. And it has nothing to do with coaching.....if u put Diaz at bama right now and saban on our sideline they still clap us. Too many dogs over there just like Coker had to many dogs.

Saban has lost 21 games at Bama. Did Bama have a worse roster every one of those? How many of those 21 teams do the 2021 Canes have equal or better blue chip ratio and returning production than?

Losers project loses. Winners compete.

Returning production maters more in week one than other weeks.

Let's just see what happens.

Advertisement
I want to see a fearless Miami team that is coming to win. If it’s Clemson all over again then we are ****ed. Crazier things have happened. Miami is ******* due to attack other programs for a change. These are the types of games that created Miami.

Saban has lost 21 games at Bama. Did Bama have a worse roster every one of those? How many of those 21 teams do the 2021 Canes have equal or better blue chip ratio and returning production than?

Losers project loses. Winners compete.

Returning production maters more in week one than other weeks.

Let's just see what happens.
Keep pretending.....canes lost to Washington....Canes lost before when they were elite it happens. We lost to UNC historically it wasn't like it was a competitive game.....we bring back the same type of coaching style defensively with no elite edge rusher vs a stacked bama team. They reload like we used to.....we are in a 15 year rebuild and Diaz is in his 3rd year rebuilding still. If we win it's a monumental upset and no one can truly predict without a doubt we pull it off even me 15-0 doesn't believe we will win. We are all hoping that's it

Advertisement
Ya for some reason it takes 3 years to learn our defensive system smh. I'm ok with Hall and Golden starting at safety but there's no way Carter should be playing over James or Tae literally the #1 an #2 safety's in there class! Jennings an Sneed should be bench riders it's time for Flagg TAC Huff an Brooks when he gets healthy to be playing backer! Keontra should have been moved to Will to start the spring. Chase Smith should be the #2 Sticker in that case. With KSmith at Will which we all know he can ball it would add more speed to our D an he's not a question mark! That would leave 5 guys to battle for the Mike backer position can't tell me one of those guys can't get the job done! This is huge it's the middle of our defence Jennings had like 33 tackles as Mike backer last year his *** should not even be mentioned as starting at all! And if there isn't a guy who can get it done out of those 5 hit the portal an grab someone I'd love to see the Tennessee kid or USC transfers come in but it needs to be fixed and from. If no transfer I wouldn't mind Flagg, TAC, or Brooks at Mike if they don't wanna move Keontra to Will I'd go With Brooks an Huff or Brooks an TAC. All just my opinion this seniority **** is getting old kids are coming in ready to play these days Bama is stacked with talent an they play the best man I just don't get it!
Look at Sabans record as a 3rd year hc. He didn’t even win big consistently at lsu. Let Saban come to Miami and do what he does at bama and the ncaa would shut down our program. He’s a fantastic coach but he
It’s not a level playing field.

Is there a window to control the line of scrimmage? I think so....

Alabama’s offensive line has looked a lot different this spring than it did in the 2020 season.

First things first, the Crimson Tide has to replace three experienced seniors with left tackle Alex Leatherwood, left guard Deonte Brown and center Landon ****erson moving on to the next chapters in their football careers. That leaves two returning starters in right guard Emil Ekiyor and right tackle Evan Neal -- and add Chris Owens to that category, too, after he started three games a year ago, including both of Alabama’s College Football Playoff matchups.

But Neal has lined up at his third position (left tackle) in three years, and Ekiyor is out with an injury, making for a relatively inexperienced unit through the first nine practices this spring.

“I think we’ve got a long way to go,” said head coach Nick Saban after UA’s first scrimmage on Friday. “We’ve got a lot of young guys. I think they’ve got a lot of ability. I think their heads are swimming, probably, a little bit right now with all the different things that they have to learn on offense, but you’re also seeing probably a lot more things than you’re used to seeing out of the defense, so that creates a lot of multiples for a young guy.

“So we just want to get those guys to where they have confidence in what they need to do to be able to go out there and execute and do their job on a consistent basis. We’re not there yet and we’re making progress, and I think that every one of those guys will see what they need to improve on and we’ll go to work on it on Monday.”

It’s obvious this offensive line is far from a finished product. After all, one of its returning starters isn’t able to participate in spring drills, while another lineman that would be competing for a guard spot, Pierce Quick, is also sidelined this spring. It’s likely the competition, and mixing and matching of linemen, will continue throughout the summer and into fall camp.

As Neal said earlier this spring, Saban and new offensive line coach Doug Marrone are trying to find the five best linemen to put on the field. Although a couple of options are currently on the shelf, the first-team offensive line has been consistent throughout the first half of the spring with Neal at left tackle, Tommy Brown at left guard, Owens at center, Javion Cohen at right guard and a combination of both Damieon George and Kendall Randolph at right tackle.

Neal, Owens and Randolph -- who has been the Tide’s sixth lineman the last two seasons -- all have first-team experience, and Brown, while serving as a backup, is now a redshirt junior.

Cohen and George are both entering their second years at Alabama but are going through their first spring seasons after the pandemic canceled spring practices in 2020. Up to this point, they have worked with the first unit, but as Saban mentioned, it’s still a work in progress.

“Javion’s been doing good,” Owens said. “All of our young guys have been doing good. We’ve been moving people around every day. That’s part of what spring is -- just trying to figure out who can play, who can take the meetings and bring them to the field. He’s been doing well, and everyone else has been trying to keep him along with us. I feel like the more we go on in the spring, we just build more chemistry, and ultimately that will just help us in the long run.”

Neal added, “I’ve seen a lot of progress from Damieon. Our O-line unit is still a work in progress, we still have a lot of work to do. As far as Damieon himself, he’s a hard worker and I'm excited for him. He’s a great guy, he’s a great guy to be around, I feel like he’s a good player. I feel like we’ve still got work that needs to be done and that’s what the spring is all about.”

UA’s first group has a mixture of experienced and inexperienced players, but the second unit is much more of the latter. After Monday’s ninth practice of the spring, the second-team offensive line consisted of, from left to right, Tommy Brockermeyer, Amari Kight, Darrian Dalcourt, Seth McLaughlin and JC Latham. The two tackles are true freshmen but were ranked among the top five recruits in the country during the 2021 cycle, per the 247Sports Composite.

Saban has shown throughout his 15-year tenure that he isn’t afraid to start a true freshman on his offensive line. Just two years ago, Neal started every game of his first season at left guard. Could the same be true for either Brockermeyer or Latham this season? It’s possible. Whether it’s one of the newcomers or a returning player that hasn’t seen much game action, the Tide will rely on several new starters, but there’s still plenty of football until the opener.

“One of the things I try to do is just tell everyone to be patient,” Owens said. “We’re not gonna be where we’re supposed to be right now because it’s only the middle of the springtime, especially on offense. We (lost) a lot of guys at receiver, tight end, new O-line, new quarterback -- like everything’s new for us. And we’re going against a really good defense every day.

“For us, it’s just about being patient, trusting the process and knowing that things are going to come along eventually. But we just can’t rush them, so we have to take everything day by day.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back