Rumph Learning from Mistakes?

Advertisement
Lmao he has no idea what he's doing.

Asking 17 year old kids what he could've done better. Get this clown the **** out of here.

Rumph's group did a good job on the field this year but holy **** is that scary. If you look around at other young-ish big name alumni position coaches at major programs, a lot of them are cleaning up in recruiting according 24/7. Tyrone Wheatley, Kenechi Udeze, Tee Martin, etc. Rumph needs to get on track and soon.
2017 Football Recruiter Rankings

And CC this post @Thomas Brown. Guy is highly paid and needs to start earning that $. If those 2 can't deliver stacked A+ classes at RB/DB in 2018 then we may need to look in another direction.

Exactly why I gated the intense blame on Rumph. He does have to get better at recruiting but these kids played the game and in the end screwed the school over and in Edwards case at least everything we hears was everybody was trying to convince him to UM and it didn't work. That's not him or CJ saying he was coming to multiple schools at multiple different times. Rumph has experience in recruiting and on film so he has to hit home runs nnext year

Supposedly he almost lost Dean as well. Richt is quoted as saying Dean told them he was choosing ASU Tuesday night but then changed his mind on NSD. What the **** is Rumph saying to these kids? Dean should have been a slam dunk.

WOW!!!!! I had no fcking idea we almost lost Dean to fcking Arizona State. That's absolute insanity right there.

If he's nearly losing a Miami kid, who calls himself Florida Boy to a moribund nothing program like ASU, then what makes people think he's going to lock down all these 2018 kids with offers from top 5 programs? We better hope to **** that they just want to stay home.

The fact that Mr. Hurricane, Al Blades's, son isn't even a commit yet should scare the **** out of UM fans.
Who is also Cooney nephew or whatevrer. Power Move Coon probably had to beg him at the 11th hour.

Advertisement
Fake mfs man smh, bash one of our former canes so much yet I don't remember hearing this amount of bashing when Paul Williams was here... yeah he got kids at the end of the day but he didn't have to compete against kids from 4 kids being drafted 1st round at db at uf in the last 2 years. These kids eating that sh*t up right now... and he surely can't coach as good as rumph. Chill

Last edited:
I feel really bad for him but I have to admit I'm not crazy about his responses.

He sounds like he has very little confidence. Since this is written, and not video, its hard to be sure, but at least the wording sounds like a lack of self-confidence.

If I were him, I would have responded about the two kids that didn't sign as follows: "I really don't want to talk about people that don't come here, I want to talk about the people that ARE here and that will make the University of Miami better, I'm not worried about anybody else". Leave it at that.

Striking a defiant and confident tone is what I would have done, but that's me. Apparently, he has a different personality and was being honest and introspective.

It's been my experience that for people that are going to be led, like recruits, they respond much better to self-assured and confident people.

Something to keep an eye on.

Buck up, coach Rumph. They're not here, fūck 'em.

The fact that he called those two gator facquits to see what he did wrong tells me he's lost. They lied to him the whole time, but he expects them to be honest now? They'll just tell him something stupid or blame it on the fans or something dumb.

You won't get disagreement from me on that. I also think he is lost. That's part of it but like I said before I'm also sensing a total lack of confidence in himself. Again, I know it's the printed word so I can't be 100% sure of this, but just the sense I'm getting now

Was he the coach that congratulated one of our targets for signing with another school?

Advertisement
Supposedly he almost lost Dean as well. Richt is quoted as saying Dean told them he was choosing ASU Tuesday night but then changed his mind on NSD. What the **** is Rumph saying to these kids? Dean should have been a slam dunk.

WOW!!!!! I had no fcking idea we almost lost Dean to fcking Arizona State. That's absolute insanity right there.

If he's nearly losing a Miami kid, who calls himself Florida Boy to a moribund nothing program like ASU, then what makes people think he's going to lock down all these 2018 kids with offers from top 5 programs? We better hope to **** that they just want to stay home.

The fact that Mr. Hurricane, Al Blades's, son isn't even a commit yet should scare the **** out of UM fans.

Don't forget the power move guy is deans cousin as well

I liked how he blamed their parents
It's true though... Rumph does deserve blame because it's his job to close & get the parents on his side, that's what recruiting is... The ability to sell sand to a beach, to convince parents that their best bet is with you no matter what.

However in this case, Parents seem to have raised young men who don't stick to their word & are selfish prima donnas...

Both of these kids told this staff multiple times that were going to commit & did so literally days before NSD, even though both had no intention of honoring their word.

My pops would never stand for no **** like that, he would never allow me to get away with being a bold faced liar like that... He would go upside my head & tell me to be straight with both staff recruiting me, "Pick one Son, and be honest with them.."

This whole ordeal would've been over with a long time ago if those kids just picked where they wanted to go & stop wasting our staff's time in trying to win them over, but these two were so damned attention starved that they played endless games with us for months.

We could've been spending time on other CB's rather than going all out for both of those two little ingrates who were simply bull****tin us the whole time.

The staff should've been smarter & recognized what these kids were doing, they needed to be more aggressive & force these kids to show their hand, we needed to call them on their bluff & we never did... Our poker players on staff ain't cut like that yet.

Hopefully, they learn from this situation & don't fall for the bull**** again in 2018... Because it's gonna happen again, guarantee it, we just better wise up & let these kids know off rip we ain't having that ****.

I totally agree. I would never let my son play these bullsht games.

Makes it that much scarier. Holy ****. Arizona State.

Advertisement
Was he the coach that congratulated one of our targets for signing with another school?

Uh no... quit making sh*t up

Not making sh*t up tough guy. There was a coach that retweeted the commitment of one of our guys last year. One of the recruits using pariscope and if I'm not mistaken it was him

No he retweeted an announcement post about a recruit making a decision.

Makes it that much scarier. Holy ****. Arizona State.

Shocker

Uh no... quit making sh*t up

Not making sh*t up tough guy. There was a coach that retweeted the commitment of one of our guys last year. One of the recruits using pariscope and if I'm not mistaken it was him

No he retweeted an announcement post about a recruit making a decision.

Yes someone who was a target that announced for another school

Advertisement
Rumph has no personaility. That's the problem.

Great position coach but terrible recruiter. Just doesn't have it like Banda or Hartley.

Rumph belongs as an NFL DB coach. College is not for him. He might send out some resumes this off season. I think he knows that college recruiting isn't for him.

Same thing with Thomas Brown.

Fake mfs man smh, bash one of our former canes so much yet I don't remember hearing this amount of bashing when Paul Williams was here... yeah he got kids at the end of the day but he didn't have to compete against kids from 4 kids being drafted 1st round at db at uf in the last 2 years. These kids eating that sh*t up right now... and he surely can't coach as good as rumph. Chill

The criticism is justified. Stop white knighting dudes just because they played at Miami.

Rumph won't get or deserve much credit for landing absolute layups with UM ties like Blades and Frierson. But if he actually lands the one stud from Heritage that he has no business losing (Tyson Campbell) and can help keep Jobe/Ivey in the class, then he'll go from being criticized to heavily praised very quickly.

Have no confidence that he'll actually win a contested battle for a player the caliber of Campbell, but it's what he needs to do.

No people wont. Everyone was B*tching about how he can't pull Heritage gusy. Then We got a Heritage guy this year in Herbert. And people gave him credit for about a minute. Then immediately forgot about it. Go look at any of the 10 threads talking about DB recruiting and not a single person talks about how he got a Heritage guy. And Herbert is also more important than Henderson and Edwards.

If Rumph gets 3-5 top CBs this year, everyone will give all the credit to Banda, Diaz, and Richt.
What I don't get is howcome no one criticized Banda for not getting Edwards. Everything points to Banda being the main recruiter of Edwards, and the coach with the best relationship with Edwards. So If Banda clearly isn't as good as Rumph at teaching technique, then why is he not being talked about while Rumph is about his recruiting?

Personally I'm more dissatisfied with Banda than I am Rumph. But I think we pull 7-8 top DBs this next class and they will get praise for a full 5mins before everyone starts B*thching again and calling for Rumphs head.

fact is it seems to me lot of you guys like Banda's recruiting because of what he posts on Twitter. Nothing more.

We had them kids in the bag and they flaked out. Can't fault him or the staff for that. Very candid interview. Rumph kept it 1000 about the situation. It is what it is

I don't think kids that have already shown you that they are flaky should ever be considered in the bag.

Advertisement
Back