Rumph Learning from Mistakes?

I'm not so hard on the coaches when I see it play out like it did with Henderson and Edwards. They were former commits, been around the guys and on campus many times. They just didn't want to be Canes and wanted to be lizards. Coaches did their best, these kids just didn't want to be canes for some reason.

Advertisement
LOL'd at the recruiting expert opinions on here. Can't get enough. Keep em' coming.

Rumph got one job: land his two heritage boys. Those two with Blades Jobe Ivey Frierson and Hall are the best DB class in the nation. Those two kids make everything from this year dissappear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems honest. Shame it also sounds like he's more toward the beginning of the learning curve. At least he's willing to learn and go. Some other jackasses are too stubborn or proud.

Agree. I wouldn't expect Rumph to be anything, but honest in assessing himself. He'll step it up. This is his Chaffie Fields moment in recruiting.

Go Canes!

Two days from signing day and you don't know where you want to go says a lot. You've had years to decide and you cant decide

Advertisement
refreshing to read a honest take.

not sure if he's cut out for this or not. but '18 will tell us all we need to know for certain. same goes for Brown. plenty of local talent at each position and most of them are miami fans.

honestly, between holloman, devonta smith, mcfarland... i think the timing of our staff coming into miami already having these previous relationships and counting on them too much truly hurt us at a couple spots. not just having a clean slate to begin with probably did more harm than good.

looking forward to seeing this 2018 thing unfold

Sounds to me like the head man asked him why he failed so badly

Richt is smart

I feel really bad for him but I have to admit I'm not crazy about his responses.

He sounds like he has very little confidence. Since this is written, and not video, its hard to be sure, but at least the wording sounds like a lack of self-confidence.

If I were him, I would have responded about the two kids that didn't sign as follows: "I really don't want to talk about people that don't come here, I want to talk about the people that ARE here and that will make the University of Miami better, I'm not worried about anybody else". Leave it at that.

Striking a defiant and confident tone is what I would have done, but that's me. Apparently, he has a different personality and was being honest and introspective.

It's been my experience that for people that are going to be led, like recruits, they respond much better to self-assured and confident people.

Something to keep an eye on.

Buck up, coach Rumph. They're not here, fūck 'em.

The fact that he called those two gator facquits to see what he did wrong tells me he's lost. They lied to him the whole time, but he expects them to be honest now? They'll just tell him something stupid or blame it on the fans or something dumb.

That was the part I disliked the most.It's like asking your woman why she ****ed another dude and what can you do better in the future so it won't happen again.WTF who cares why **** them.He sounds naive and clueless and I can see why kids don't respect him and flat out lie to his face.Brown seems to be very similar,Richt needs to look into this or we'll be losing more recruits next year when every team comes in hard after all the skill position talent in SF.

Two days from signing day and you don't know where you want to go says a lot. You've had years to decide and you cant decide

That's why parental involvement is important. Lots of people try to influence these kids for various reasons, and not always in the kid's interest. Your parents can be a great resource at times like this, as they are almost always looking out for you.

Of course we know many parents aren't any better prepared for this than the kid is. That's life.

Advertisement
I feel really bad for him but I have to admit I'm not crazy about his responses.

He sounds like he has very little confidence. Since this is written, and not video, its hard to be sure, but at least the wording sounds like a lack of self-confidence.

If I were him, I would have responded about the two kids that didn't sign as follows: "I really don't want to talk about people that don't come here, I want to talk about the people that ARE here and that will make the University of Miami better, I'm not worried about anybody else". Leave it at that.

Striking a defiant and confident tone is what I would have done, but that's me. Apparently, he has a different personality and was being honest and introspective.

It's been my experience that for people that are going to be led, like recruits, they respond much better to self-assured and confident people.

Something to keep an eye on.

Buck up, coach Rumph. They're not here, fūck 'em.

The fact that he called those two gator facquits to see what he did wrong tells me he's lost. They lied to him the whole time, but he expects them to be honest now? They'll just tell him something stupid or blame it on the fans or something dumb.

That was the part I disliked the most.It's like asking your woman why she ****ed another dude and what can you do better in the future so it won't happen again.WTF who cares why **** them.He sounds naive and clueless and I can see why kids don't respect him and flat out lie to his face.Brown seems to be very similar,Richt needs to look into this or we'll be losing more recruits next year when every team comes in hard after all the skill position talent in SF.

That's exactly how it came off. "Honey, when I walked in and saw that dude with his dyck crammed down your throat and you making puking sounds with your eyes watering is that what you really like? Why didn't you just tell me that's what you wanted?"

Supposedly he almost lost Dean as well. Richt is quoted as saying Dean told them he was choosing ASU Tuesday night but then changed his mind on NSD. What the **** is Rumph saying to these kids? Dean should have been a slam dunk.

Comparing Rumph to some of those other smooth talking, $$ wielding sharks like Travaris Robinson and Corey Raymond makes my head hurt.

Jesus Christ.

If he loses Campbell this year, who called Rumph "a second father"....dude needs to be fired the millisecond afterwards.

You guys gotta remember this is on the job training for him. He went from college graduation (undergrad) to Goldman Sachs with no MBA and no internships. He will take his lumps..problem is y'all assumed his lumps would be in the coaching end and not on the recruiting end. I love the fact that he seems like he can coach his a$$ off based off the first year..recruits will come when they realize he is the goods.

Advertisement
Supposedly he almost lost Dean as well. Richt is quoted as saying Dean told them he was choosing ASU Tuesday night but then changed his mind on NSD. What the **** is Rumph saying to these kids? Dean should have been a slam dunk.

WOW!!!!! I had no fcking idea we almost lost Dean to fcking Arizona State. That's absolute insanity right there.

If he's nearly losing a Miami kid, who calls himself Florida Boy to a moribund nothing program like ASU, then what makes people think he's going to lock down all these 2018 kids with offers from top 5 programs? We better hope to **** that they just want to stay home.

The fact that Mr. Hurricane, Al Blades's, son isn't even a commit yet should scare the **** out of UM fans.

Hate that Rumph is catching Heat but he'll learn from it.

It all disappears if he lands his boys. Simple. I think it sucks too because he can coach these kids but he has to hit on his boys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
How in the F does Richt allow this to happen?

In the business world you don't let a kid just out of college handle your biggest customer/prospects. Rumph is clueless when it comes to closing the deal... this article proves it. I'm just surprised Richt, and Diaz to an extent, weren't involved more to makeup for Rumph's shortcomings

I'm not sure why some of you keep saying this wasn't Rumph's fault. The other statement that irritates me is "that he did everything he could. Those kids didn't even know what they were doing."

Rumph isn't 100% responsible. Richt and the other coaches are also to blame. Hold the coaches accountable. It should be unacceptable to lose 4/5 DB targets. Someone has to be responsible for that. It definitely shouldn't be the recruits that get the blame. Every coaching staff is recruiting the same kids.

Rumph won't get or deserve much credit for landing absolute layups with UM ties like Blades and Frierson. But if he actually lands the one stud from Heritage that he has no business losing (Tyson Campbell) and can help keep Jobe/Ivey in the class, then he'll go from being criticized to heavily praised very quickly.

Have no confidence that he'll actually win a contested battle for a player the caliber of Campbell, but it's what he needs to do.

Advertisement
Back