Rumph Learning from Mistakes?

It's worth noting that the "Mike Rumph: DB coaching savant" narrative really got going right around the same time his DB's had a beastly front seven to work behind. And I'm not sure why we're being asked to accept the notion that Miami can have a guy on the staff who is a good coach or a good recruiter but it's unfair to expect both. I've said it before but it bears repeating, unless you think Rumph is some sort of transcendent coaching talent unlike any other in the country, you can replace with him with someone who is markedly better at recruiting and comparable when it comes to coaching his guys up.

That's the way it always is, no position plays alone. DBs can't do their job if the QB has all day, and a great DL won't make sucky DBs look great. If the DL sucked and it hurt the DBs, nobody would want to hear excuses so let's give Rumph a little credit.

As for him not being a great recruiter, that seems accurate. It would be ideal if he were both, but if he does a good job coaching and we have other great recruiters I'll live. To me this is like the people who blame Duke or Kaaya for not winning games when the D was giving up 500 yards. Sure those guys might have done more on the last drive, but maybe if the DL had been allowed to pester the QB once or twice we wouldn't be in that situation. Let's fix the bigger problems before we worry about the guy who's doing well but isn't perfect.

Advertisement
rumph.jpg

"ok, Finally back at my alma mater coaching, recruiting finna be a breeze!"

The only hope we have for Rumph is that he is a phenomenal coach and his skills in that area sells itself. He's is obviously not going to turn into a salesman so this may take some time. Kool by his own admission doesn't care for recruiting much but with his resume, when he speaks kids listen. Or kids actively seek his attention for an evaluation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Kool doesn't get a free pass either he's not lighting it up @ landing DT.

Are you suggesting a banner for him?

I like Rumph as a coach and recruiter.

Coaching and development matters...recruiting not so much to me..

The only hope we have for Rumph is that he is a phenomenal coach and his skills in that area sells itself. He's is obviously not going to turn into a salesman so this may take some time. Kool by his own admission doesn't care for recruiting much but with his resume, when he speaks kids listen. Or kids actively seek his attention for an evaluation.

DT is last recruiting cycle's WR.
[MENTION=5705]cane since birth[/MENTION], this is where our intervention will be going this year.

Advertisement
I think we're jumping the gun on Rumph. Let this year play out. Marco Wilson was a gator lock the second his brother went there. Herbert was a big get from Heritage, Nesta is committed, and we have a great shot at Campbell. When Golden was here Heritage was a no fly zone. And I'm not buying into the whole Banda is Campbell's primary recruiter thing. If we lock up Campbell, Rumph will be the key factor.

DT is last recruiting cycle's WR.
[MENTION=5705]cane since birth[/MENTION], this is where our intervention will be going this year.

All already jumping the gun on Kool I see lmao

Rumph needs to focus all his attention on getting dent back. Elite playmaker since we wont be getting campbell from what it seems. We need Dent.

I hope rumph can focus his attention on other DBS rather then Ivey gardner and Bethel.. we need playmakers at DB.

Nkosi lil brother Justin Watkins is a incredible athlete I hope richt and perry could show him love and recruit him on down here. He can play both sides.

I know what everybody is going to say ... they have attitude problems , sam bruce , bookie , justin watkins ... That is like saying NWA was never talented. Easy E . DR DRE. Ice cub .. all had attitudes...Just have to mentor them..

CANES ARE SUPPOSE TO HAVE ATTITUDES !

Putting the full-court press on a 2019 kid before the 2018 class is signed. You must be new to recruiting.

Advertisement
"That is like saying NWA was never talented. Easy E . DR DRE. Ice cub .. all had attitudes..."

I have seen it all. SMH

"That is like saying NWA was never talented. Easy E . DR DRE. Ice cub .. all had attitudes..."

I have seen it all. SMH

OP getting at least a nomination for porst of the year and will be added to ignore lists all across the country.

Advertisement
What is wrong with the Post and wanting the hurricanes to be great .. I dont get it ... ? alot of people on here dont want to take chances on players with attitude ... is the same thing of saying we should of cut players like kellan winslow etc the list can go on and on ... Most of our greats had that Cane attitude and swagger... thats why alot of teams were scared of us.

Advertisement
What is wrong with the Post and wanting the hurricanes to be great .. I dont get it ... ? alot of people on here dont want to take chances on players with attitude ... is the same thing of saying we should of cut players like kellan winslow etc the list can go on and on ... Most of our greats had that Cane attitude and swagger... thats why alot of teams were scared of us.

... Sileo ... is that you ...?

Not a bad post and I understand many not wanting to express any negative opinions re Campbell, but he hasn't given us anything positive to hang our U's on. Dent is an equally good talent and we don't have to wait till 2018 is signed to go hard after Dent.

That said, lets be honest, because a player is more highly regarded does not mean another signee can't deliver on the same projected level. We see prototype players signed all the time and less regarded top talent out perform them ALL the time. Point is there is no guarantee that say a Bethel wouldn't in the end prove to be an equally good CB as Campbell.

Advertisement
Back