Rumph and his coaching effect on our secondary in 2020

Advertisement
@CashMoneyCane i hate you for unearthing this feel-good attempt of a thread lol. Only other thing OP should have done was mention that if the Rumph effect adversely impacts the team (Like it did tonight), his *** needs to be on notice. @filmcane You ain’t wrong but we will see if Rumph listens to his inner future unemployed self and trots Poison Ivey back out there against Lou next week. Then we will know that he clearly does not give AF about winning or keeping his job.

We don't know that it's Rumph's call to play Ivey. I'll bet he doesn't start next week. Regardless, Blades locked down the other side. So do we blame Rumph for Ivey but not give him credit for Blades?

Couch tracked that kid down and made a play. That’s something ivy won’t do.
Dunson Williams and couch are really good athletes
have to see more to give an opinion on the others but man the D is in trouble vs better squads thats a fact, i was more worried about the D coming into this year and year by year after RJ and Willis left. Its been slowly getting worse.

What exactly are you putting in black and white?

I'm not colorblind.

But keep defending a bad player. You sound really bright.
I guess English is not your first language. Read more carefully.

No ones defending anyone. It sucks that he may not be talented but there's no reason to publicly trash a college kid and feel happy about it.

We don't know that it's Rumph's call to play Ivey. I'll bet he doesn't start next week. Regardless, Blades locked down the other side. So do we blame Rumph for Ivey but not give him credit for Blades?
2 questions on a test, you miss one, do you get a passing grade?

Advertisement
have to see more to give an opinion on the others but man the D is in trouble vs better squads thats a fact, i was more worried about the D coming into this year and year by year after RJ and Willis left. Its been slowly getting worse.
Yeah I don’t think I’ll ever be a manny fan

2 questions on a test, you miss one, do you get a passing grade?
I hear you but the comparison is highly flawed. I'm not defending Rumph, I'm just saying there's (naturally, always) a bias toward people or things that go wrong than go right.

Bottom line, CB play has been by and large awful for years. Some guys have developed but the recruiting leaves quite a bit to be desired. Regardless, whoever is responsible for ensuring Ivey starts is making a mistake. He shouldn't be on the field.

I hear you but the comparison is highly flawed. I'm not defending Rumph, I'm just saying there's (naturally, always) a bias toward people or things that go wrong than go right.

Bottom line, CB play has been by and large awful for years. Some guys have developed but the recruiting leaves quite a bit to be desired. Regardless, whoever is responsible for ensuring Ivey starts is making a mistake. He shouldn't be on the field.
100%

Sorry bud, I didn’t mean it in a bad way. Rumph is a Cane and a great one at that. I also had high hopes for Ivey due to his measurables, but he ain’t that!
Blades has no where near the measurables or talent Blades does.. YET Blades makes plays.. Ivey does not. On the college, never has and never will. He just doesn’t have it. Ivey can’t cover a blanket. He’s awful and more importantly so is Rumph.
No worries.

Honestly, this is probably his last year if his CB's don't improve over the course of the season. He has a terrible recruiting track record. If he can't get his guys turning back for the ball on an obvious fade to the corner, then the Rumph experiment should end.

I'm not ready to give up on him yet, we are just one game in, but if by the end of this season, our CB's aren't playing solid, disciplined, fundamentally sound DB play, then we need a new CB coach. Hoping he just gets those boys to play.

Advertisement
No worries.

Honestly, this is probably his last year if his CB's don't improve over the course of the season. He has a terrible recruiting track record. If he can't get his guys turning back for the ball on an obvious fade to the corner, then the Rumph experiment should end.

I'm not ready to give up on him yet, we are just one game in, but if by the end of this season, our CB's aren't playing solid, disciplined, fundamentally sound DB play, then we need a new CB coach. Hoping he just gets those boys to play.
I agree. I hope they both can turn it around and prove me wrong. So far it does not look good. That Watkins kid for UAB is pretty good though. Maybe they have better luck next game.

Right? I really need to learn about football. Can you explain to me how great Ivey played last night? Allowing a bad TD and getting absolutely beaten like a drum on a pass that was underthrown by five yards.

That's good right?

You come back at me after the game in which Ivey looked like the worst player on the field and you sound like a complete fool.
It's obvious he had a bad game, but you barely seen him play one game like that last year, and keep in mind, he was out there against Lsu and most didn't notice, he has the talent, he gave up a touchdown, and if he doesn't get better, he'll be on the bench but to act like last night's game was somehow related to ivey's play last year is a mute point. Some passes completed against him this year and last year were just well placed throws

No. He's great. @Calvin says I just need to learn about football. Apparently what you want in a CB is giving up easy TD's because you don't look for the ball in the air and being five yards away from the receiver you're covering at all times.
Stay tuned, you still do need to learn football!

It's obvious he had a bad game, but you barely seen him play one game like that last year, and keep in mind, he was out there against Lsu and most didn't notice, he has the talent, he gave up a touchdown, and if he doesn't get better, he'll be on the bench but to act like last night's game was somehow related to ivey's play last year is a mute point. Some passes completed against him this year and last year were just well placed throws
Moot point, friend. And your shtick is truly reaching epic levels. I thought it was masterful how you cite to a 2018 game as support for Ivey, then immediately (in the same run on sentence) turn around and say 2019 is a "mute point." You are a maestro.

But about that L$U game, Ivey played 24 snaps against L$U after Bandy went out on the (BS) targeting call. Not that PFF is the end all be all, but they had him with a pretty subpar 55.7 grade, which was the lowest of any UM DB with at least 7 snaps that game. For context, Bobby "Tranquilo" Knowles put up a 50.0 grade in his 5 defensive snaps.

Last year (I know, I know... 2019 is mute, but please indulge me), Ivey was that knucklehead who managed to get suspended for UiF. Then he came back to play against UNC and was tugging on dudes for PI and holding calls. And when we played UVA, Bryce Perkins made Ivey his ***** most of the night. Then he got beat for two TDs against GT (one on a fake punt where he just stopped running like a **** fool).

To be fair, Ivey had two picks in a "bounce-back" game against Pitt (one off a tipped pass and the other on a badly overthrown ball) and allowed just one reception that game. And he had a pretty good game against F$U (Terry and Matthews were basically shut down).

So he's had a couple of good games. Unfortunately, the overall pattern is, more often than not, Ivey is a liability in coverage. He lacks proper technique, loses concentration, and doesn't have the athletic tools to make up for those lapses in concentration and breakdowns in technique. Maybe the light comes on at some point, who knows. At this point people may need to come to grips that this is just who he is as a CB.

Advertisement
Moot point, friend. And your shtick is truly reaching epic levels. I thought it was masterful how you cite to a 2018 game as support for Ivey, then immediately (in the same run on sentence) turn around and say 2019 is a "mute point." You are a maestro.

But about that L$U game, Ivey played 24 snaps against L$U after Bandy went out on the (BS) targeting call. Not that PFF is the end all be all, but they had him with a pretty subpar 55.7 grade, which was the lowest of any UM DB with at least 7 snaps that game. For context, Bobby "Tranquilo" Knowles put up a 50.0 grade in his 5 defensive snaps.

Last year (I know, I know... 2019 is mute, but please indulge me), Ivey was that knucklehead who managed to get suspended for UiF. Then he came back to play against UNC and was tugging on dudes for PI and holding calls. And when we played UVA, Bryce Perkins made Ivey his ***** most of the night. Then he got beat for two TDs against GT (one on a fake punt where he just stopped running like a **** fool).

To be fair, Ivey had two picks in a "bounce-back" game against Pitt (one off a tipped pass and the other on a badly overthrown ball) and allowed just one reception that game. And he had a pretty good game against F$U (Terry and Matthews were basically shut down).

So he's had a couple of good games. Unfortunately, the overall pattern is, more often than not, Ivey is a liability in coverage. He lacks proper technique, loses concentration, and doesn't have the athletic tools to make up for those lapses in concentration and breakdowns in technique. Maybe the light comes on at some point, who knows. At this point people may need to come to grips that this is just who he is as a CB.
Since you want to jump in the middle and not know WTF you talking about, when I said to him 2019 was a mute point it's not one game ivey had last year where he looked like he did last night. And whatever ratings system you're using to support your case, ask yourself a question, what pass or passes did they complete on ivey in that Lsu game.

Also, I'm glad you brought up the Virginia game, because that was actually one of ivey's best games, as a redshirt freshman, that man stuck to Dubois like glue and forced Dubois and their quarterback to complete high level passes, and both were seniors, and neither one was chop liver, yeah Dubois made and completed tough catches, but again, ivey's play didn't cost us that game. Did it ever dawn on you that not having springball hurt certain players more. Also let me point this out, that receiver that caught that td on ivey, like Dubois, he's bonafide as well, plus that UAB squad had several Florida guys on it so you know they were coming to play.

Bottom line, ivey has the talent to get the job done, if he doesn't play at a higher level, he got guys behind em lurking, he'll be ok either way!

Since you want to jump in the middle and not know WTF you talking about, when I said to him 2019 was a mute point it's not one game ivey had last year where he looked like he did last night. And whatever ratings system you're using to support your case, ask yourself a question, what pass or passes did they complete on ivey in that Lsu game.

Also, I'm glad you brought up the Virginia game, because that was actually one of ivey's best games, as a redshirt freshman, that man stuck to Dubois like glue and forced Dubois and their quarterback to complete high level passes, and both were seniors, and neither one was chop liver, yeah Dubois made and completed tough catches, but again, ivey's play didn't cost us that game. Did it ever dawn on you that not having springball hurt certain players more. Also let me point this out, that receiver that caught that td on ivey, like Dubois, he's bonafide as well, plus that UAB squad had several Florida guys on it so you know they were coming to play.

Bottom line, ivey has the talent to get the job done, if he doesn't play at a higher level, he got guys behind em lurking, he'll be ok either way!
Says I don't know WTF I am talking about in a discussion about Ivey, then mentions this imaginary RS year. Get your facts straight and your head out of your a$$. Ivey has never taken a RS (because Rumph can't recruit enough depth at CB).

Says I don't know WTF I am talking about in a discussion about Ivey, then mentions this imaginary RS year. Get your facts straight and your head out of your a$$. Ivey has never taken a RS (because Rumph can't recruit enough depth at CB).
We'll clap clap, you passed the test and finally got something right!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back