Rumph and his coaching effect on our secondary in 2020

filmcane

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
I have a theory about Rumph's coaching, which will be put to the test over the next month. His perceived lack of recruiting prowess (reality or otherwise) aside, he has been kept on the staff because he has been a good CB coach. My hope is that we will see the aggregate effect of his coaching on Blades and Ivey and their backups.

Rumph still has his job because he DOES know how to develop CB talent, so my prediction is that our CB's, especially the starters, will have an outstanding season. IF this is the case (please see 2017/18') and if our pass rush is anywhere close to what we believe it will be, our D really does have an opportunity to go over the top and be a truly elite squad with the ability to at least keep us in the Clemson game for 3 quarters, if not pull off the W.

If this Rumph theory is correct for these CB's this year, man, anything is possible for the Canes this season.

Advertisement
18B55C59-4997-4AF0-B283-4D353244068D.gif

Advertisement
It's comical hearing people complain about talent development but can't see it taking place right before the eyes. His best game last year was that Virginia game and the work he put in on that senior widereceiver Dubois. All our young guys in that secondary made their mark that game against a veteran qb and veteran widereceivers. One things for certain, ivey's is the type of db we always won championships with, his mindset is True Miami, him and Blades, the Great part about those 2 is this, they are the first 2 corners that coach rumph has groomed from True freshmen to 3rd year players, to play and start at the same time, with 2 strong sophomores coming behind them.

We good on the back end:

Advertisement
If we’re being 100% honest we have the players to play man to man every down but sometimes are out of position in our blitz happy, voided out defenses. When we line up and play even Ivey has largely looked pretty decent
Great eval and this was the difference when the broyles award winning d-co was here and this blitz-ophrenic system that coach diaz has brought in, when onion was the d-co, across the board the defense was 1st going to be fundamentally sound from the schematic standpoint, and the opposing qb had to be accurate or he was going to be toast. Next, when onion did call for a blitz it normally wasn't obvious, he just let the front four do their thang thang.

Under the diaz system, to many times we get teams in 2nd or 3rd and longs and the defensive play-call all of a sudden gets soft. Got stay consistent year round. Don't call aggressive **** against UAB, and than we get to Clemson and start running zone like he did last time as if that renfrow guy was gone blow past any of our db's!

Rumph is a solid coach and CB play since his arrival has not been the problem. Would expect CB play this fall to be better with Ivey/Blades entering second year as starters and two young backups pushing & now having a year in the program.
Here's another guy that knows football!

Advertisement
All I heard was the underclassmen CB's were ballin' out in practice... yet Ivey the worst returning defensive stater still keeps his jobs

Last edited:
I can't remember which game, but there was one where Ivey got burned for a TD last season and took a lot of heat for it. He got noticeable better from there. Sometimes it takes one event to force someone to get their head straight.

Advertisement
Mike Jack was really good and Blades is good but cb play has been mediocre just like everything else has been the last 15 years
And Mike Jack took a step back his Sr yr. -Dean sucked
-Delaney went from a 4th round grade at The Citadel, to not mentioned at all.
-Bandy got progressively worst each season after his great frosh yr
-Ivey was for sure up & down, but mostly down

Blades has been solid & knows when to turn his head

Ppl keep hedging their bets on Rumph b/c of Colbert. Mike is an OK coach, but let’s not act like he’s some DB whisperer.
If the DL don’t get a pass rush, those DBs get smoked & have a propensity of not turning their heads.

Blades is phenomenal; anxiously waiting to see about Williams & Couch’s development

Mike Jack was really good and Blades is good but cb play has been mediocre just like everything else has been the last 15 years
And Mike Jack took a step back his Sr yr. Dean sucked
Delaney went from a 4th round grade at The Citadel, to not mentioned at all.
Bandy got progressively worst each season after his great frosh yr
Ivey was for sure up & down, but mostly down
Blades has been solid & knows when to turn his head

Ppl keep hedging their bets on Rumph b/c of Colbert. Mike is an OK coach, but if the DL don’t get a pass rush, those DBs get smoked & have a propensity of not turning their heads. Blades is phenomenal; anxiously waiting to see about Williams & Couch’s development

My position on Rumph is unchanged. I think he is a very good CB coach in terms of teaching the position and the development of his players. I also think he can continue to improve in this aspect of coaching. At the same time I believe him to be a very mediocre recruiter and that is me being kind. This is obvious to anyone paying attention.

What I don't understand is why so many here get so outraged and offended when someone brings up this particular shortcoming of Rumph's. It's not a personal attack it is just the truth. The most important question that should be asked/debated about coach Rumph is whether or not it is in the best interest of this program for him to continue here at UM. It is a certainty that this completely dysfunctional and haphazard approach to CB recruiting is not sustainable. Just about every other position has seen an upward trajectory in terms of recruiting but CB recruiting remains an inconsistent, unfocused, disorganized mess that has not seen any significant improvement.

For UM to continually struggle to recruit highly rated CB prospects is downright bizarre considering that South Florida is arguably the epicenter of fast, skilled explosive quick twitch athletes who's inherent abilities make them natural prospects at positions like WR, RB, CB, and S. For Miami to struggle recruiting these types of players is somewhat analogous to someone starving while they are locked in a supermarket.

So it's really academic. Do these struggles recruiting quality CBs outweigh what Rumph brings to the table as a teacher and developer? Is there a way to rectify the problem while keeping coach Rumph on staff? If so how long are we willing to wait? The bottom line here is that we have made our intentions as a program quite clear recently IMO. We want to win and if we are to get to the level where this program has been before at the top then this issue must be resolved.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back