Rumor: Nick Saban to retire

I thought that for the longest time as well, but something tells me that Dabo rather stick to the program he built at Clemson...he took Clemson to the promised land, that is his program, he is the Bear Bryant or Nick Saban of Clemson. I don't see him giving that up to go to Bama where the standard will always be Saban and the competition will be stiff.

Clemson would just hire Lincoln Riley and let Venables keep the D....that would be super scary

Advertisement
Canes buying out Jeff Scott's contract at USF and he will be OC

Makes as much sense as most rumors started here

Dabo is Clemson football. He brought that program to the level it is today. He's only compared to himself.

At Bama he's following the footsteps of Bear Bryant and Nick Saban. If anything goes wrong early on he's going to be compared to them.

Exactly. How many years would he have to toil there to win enough titles to get past the "not as good as Saban/bear" perception in the eyes of fans? At Clemson, it's all his, the credit for the entire program's rise and dominance. And currently, he's sitting on the #1 recruiting class. He's finally surpassed Saban in the only area that Alabama could have offered him an advantage. If you can already do that at Clemson, why leave? It's the school that gave him his big break and stuck by him when he was 6-7. His sons are going to be alums.

Advertisement
Dabo’s Father figure was Gene Stallings. There is nothing in life he wants more than to coach at his alma mater. He’s a shoe in and Bama will pay whatever it takes to bring him back home.

I’d be shocked if Dabo didn’t go to Bama when Saban steps down.
Clemson has already made him the highest paid coach in College Football...

Plus he's built his own Dynasty at Clemson with the potential to have back to back undefeated National championships going 30-0 in two years if they beat LSU, which has never been done in the Playoff era.

I get that most fans think the Hometown appeal is so strong that smart great coaches will walk away from a great situation just to coach at their alma mater, but if he leaves that machine at Clemson to go to Bama it would be a full downgrade.

Clemson has top of the line facilities, big time boosters & consistently recruiting in the top 5, they got everything he needs, plus he's already toppled over Bama's infrastructure as the premier top program in college football.

Dabo beat the stuffing out of Saban in the 2018 Natty title game & already beat Bama for a Natty with Watson, he's literally almost 3-0 vs Bama in National championship games, he's conquered the myth of Tuscaloosa, leaving Clemson now would be a step back.

Can’t really see him retiring but if he makes a move it would be for the Giants job. He supposedly considered taking it 2 years ago and people like Bruce Arians have spoken about his affinity for it

that's pennies to bama. Saban is making close to that much anyways.

So is Dabo. Just saying that in addition to a $27MM buyout plus at least $10MM per year (probably 12-13 realistically) that’s a lot of cash for anyone. I agree Bama is more than willing to do it though.

Advertisement
Advertisement
this. It’s not a poison pill. There is actuallyno buyout if he goes to Bama specifically.
Follow a legend or be the legend. If he leaves Clemson he is a moron. Never follow a legend. There was a gap between bear bryant and nick

Sabans retirement will coincide with Brady retiring cause Bilichek is going to go there and take over for a Saban cause he doesn’t want to coach in the NFL without Brady as his QB.....sounds as good as some of the other scenarios thrown out in this thread...

Advertisement
Clemson has already made him the highest paid coach in College Football...

Plus he's built his own Dynasty at Clemson with the potential to have back to back undefeated National championships going 30-0 in two years if they beat LSU, which has never been done in the Playoff era.

I get that most fans think the Hometown appeal is so strong that smart great coaches will walk away from a great situation just to coach at their alma mater, but if he leaves that machine at Clemson to go to Bama it would be a full downgrade.

Clemson has top of the line facilities, big time boosters & consistently recruiting in the top 5, they got everything he needs, plus he's already toppled over Bama's infrastructure as the premier top program in college football.

Dabo beat the stuffing out of Saban in the 2018 Natty title game & already beat Bama for a Natty with Watson, he's literally almost 3-0 vs Bama in National championship games, he's conquered the myth of Tuscaloosa, leaving Clemson now would be a step back.

I think the whole going back home thing is overrated , Clemson has been his home for years now. Raised his kids and family there. Plus they were very loyal to him when everyone said fire him.

Oh and they’ve paid him very well too. He’s built his program / team and culture why would he want to leave ?

Advertisement
Back