Ruiz vs Corben

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know plenty of shady attorneys. But hiring the attorney who was engaged by the state to help draft the state’s NIL law is not something someone does who is trying to flout the rules. There is absolutely zero purpose in trying to do that given the state’s framework, SCOTUS decision, and what other schools are doing.

I get he may not be everyone’s cup of tea and I understand why people are gunshy after Nevin, but this is a totally different college sports world and one being a Ponzi schemer has absolutely zero to do with the other. For years we *****ed about having leadership that lacked vision or the desire to dream big. Now we have that and people like this **** and moan. Even if no stadium gets built, who gives a **** if this guy is spending his own time and money to pursue it.
Darren Heitner's not a shady attorney. And I'm saying that about a ******* Gator.

Advertisement
I wonder if the people who have a problem with a very wealthy donor getting his name out there and making sure he and his get maximum exposure and credit realize that the University of Miami is in Miami, not Gstaad or Windsor. Especially when it BENEFITS the program for CFB and recruits to know we're stacking racks.

On a scale from 1 to Luke this is a 2.1 in Miami.

You guys are going to tell this guy exactly HOW he needs to donate countless millions to the U, something we've been desperate for since UM used the French Village as a dormitory? There are message board and twitter terms attached when he rips checks that almost every other University dreams of?

Honestly this guy is talking Boone Pickens and Phil Knight level stuff, and has already started the flow with MILLIONS to the U and Mario is still probably sleeping on his own abuela's couch. The Ruiz' have already put up. By NLOI day millions more will flow.

Like I said originally, Miami is a small town in a way, affluent people run in tight circles, especially the Cuban and even more so the Columbus brigade ... this family has been supporting the U for quite a while now, they are all alumni, and there is a family connection to Mario. If he pulls the rug out on Mario and the U he will be DEAD in Miami, the only town in the world they probably care about. He and his will be OSTRACIZED.

Occam's Razor says this is legit. Stop and take a breathe and THINK. If it turns out not to be, THEN we can all REKT him. Right now, just enjoy victory. This is probably a once in a century seminal moment for the program. You might be throwing shade at the very thing that is going to save Miami Football (and more) and allow you to enjoy it for the rest of your days.

Last edited:
If he actually cared about Miami athletics as you contend then he'd actually know something about them. He routinely exposes his complete ignorance about it regularly.

He portrays everything Miami and UM related as corrupt and/or inept because that's his personal bread and butter not because he just wants to improve things.

This is where I'll actually give Lebatard the benefit of the doubt. I don't think he cares about UM but does care about Miami (the area) and would like to see things improve locally. Corben's worst nightmare is Miami at-large ever getting its **** together.
I totally disagree. He spends most of his time trying to effect change And call out corruption of which there is a ton of here. There’s a million people saying how great this place is…. The one guy calling out politicians stealing bothers you? we got every corrupt politician here assisting in the gentrification of the city, the stealing of public land, and not giving a **** about infrastructure and this guy is calling them out for our good and he’s the problem? Ok sure

I like Ruiz

I feel like he's trying to be the godfather of Miami football.

I'm never going to argue or go against anyone that is advancing our beloved program. I've just seen this show before with the 'billionaire', self promoting, booster. Man, I'm praying I'm wrong. Maybe it's PTSD from Nevin.. but I sure wish he'd stop entertaining fools like Corbin or publicly going after Donna. No good can come from things like that.

And, most very very successful people don't even care what people, especially those who dont have an impact of their business dealings, think.

I like Ruiz! I just wish he'd understand that cfb isn't exactly lawless, yet, and Miami is on everyone's radar.

I totally disagree. He spends most of his time trying to effect change And call out corruption of which there is a ton of here. There’s a million people saying how great this place is…. The one guy calling out politicians stealing bothers you? we got every corrupt politician here assisting in the gentrification of the city, the stealing of public land, and not giving a **** about infrastructure and this guy is calling them out for our good and he’s the problem? Ok sure
Show me where he puts his money where his mouth is and I'll reconsider. Show me where his end game doesn't always equal personal profit and relevance from being this "advocate".

Him being some lone negative voice crying for change in South Florida is absurd too. This is HARDLY the land of sunshine pumpers. Meet someone that actually lives here for any extended period of time and they'll gladly tell you what's wrong with the place.....without their complaints and stories being their "brand" and primary source of income.

Advertisement
I like Ruiz

I'm never going to argue or go against anyone that is advancing our beloved program. I've just seen this show before with the 'billionaire', self promoting, booster. Man, I'm praying I'm wrong. Maybe it's PTSD from Nevin.. but I sure wish he'd stop entertaining fools like Corbin or publicly going after Donna. No good can come from things like that.

And, most very very successful people don't even care what people, especially those who dont have an impact of their business dealings, think.

I like Ruiz! I just wish he'd understand that cfb isn't exactly lawless, yet, and Miami is on everyone's radar.
To be fair, if you ARE legit and someone is slandering you nationally (via Lebatard) on a weekly basis then I don't think it's so outrageous that Ruiz has taken on Corben. Obviously I wish he wouldn't punch down too but I can understand why.

Show me where he puts his money where his mouth is and I'll reconsider. Show me where his end game doesn't always equal personal profit and relevance from being this "advocate".

Him being some lone negative voice crying for change in South Florida is absurd too. This is HARDLY the land of sunshine pumpers. Meet someone that actually lives here for any extended period of time and they'll gladly tell you what's wrong with the place.....without their complaints and stories being their "brand" and primary source of income.
no one needs to show you a **** thing. He’s done more for this program than you’ll ever do…. Money or not. Miami would be duke with the last 20 years of coaching and indifference if not for those movies that kept a legacy alive. Show me wtf you do to think your opinion on someone that’s done that much matters. We need people with public voices that call politicians out. He’s a public voice, it’s what he does. His brand is literally caring about Miami. Again you have to dumb as **** to equate criticism of corruption in a place with hating it….. but there you are.

Advertisement
I like Ruiz

I think we all want him to be great for the school. And if he is, he should get the shine. Righ5 now it’s cart before the horse type ****. Let’s see

I like Ruiz

You may like Ruiz but it’s not out of question that he’s not what he is

no one needs to show you a **** thing. He’s done more for this program than you’ll ever do…. Money or not. Miami would be duke with the last 20 years of coaching and indifference if not for those movies that kept a legacy alive. Show me wtf you do to think your opinion on someone that’s done that much matters. We need people with public voices that call politicians out. He’s a public voice, it’s what he does. His brand is literally caring about Miami. Again you have to dumb as **** to equate criticism of corruption in a place with hating it….. but there you are.
Good talk. You're obviously delusional. We'd be Dook without Saint Billy and his movies. Yup.

Btw, if you get rustled so easy and default to personal attacks because someone asks for proof during a debate then maybe you're just better suited for these discussions in the Blue Lot instead of CIS.

Good talk. You're obviously delusional. We'd be Dook without Saint Billy and his movies. Yup.

Btw, if you get rustled so easy and default to personal attacks because someone asks for proof during a debate then maybe you're just better suited for these discussions in the Blue Lot instead of CIS.
Listen genius stop acting like youre not trying to be a dikc the way you write just cause you don’t use certain words. You’re still being a condescending jerk (whether you really are or not). I just like to just call you that straight up rather than in code like I’m holier than thou. But at any rate, I’ll move along now with my “dumb” comments cause I’m the one bothered. Good night

Advertisement
Listen genius stop acting like youre not trying to be a dikc the way you write just cause you don’t use certain words. You’re still being a condescending jerk (whether you really are or not). I just like to just call you that straight up rather than in code like I’m holier than thou. But at any rate, I’ll move along now with my “dumb” comments cause I’m the one bothered. Good night
I'm absolutely a condescending jerk. I just try to refrain from ***-for-tats directly with actual individuals on here because it's almost always pointless and boring for everyone else and I actually like or at least tolerate most people on here.

No big deal. We just differ greatly on Corben and I have very strong opinions on guys I view as frauds around this program.

If he actually cared about Miami athletics as you contend then he'd actually know something about them. He routinely exposes his complete ignorance about it regularly.

He portrays everything Miami and UM related as corrupt and/or inept because that's his personal bread and butter not because he just wants to improve things.

This is where I'll actually give Lebatard the benefit of the doubt. I don't think he cares about UM but does care about Miami (the area) and would like to see things improve locally. Corben's worst nightmare is Miami at-large ever getting its **** together.

The fact is, to this day, he bitterly resents that the University would not let him use the trademark for The U docs, so he’s been throwing a tantrum about it going on over 10 years.

Advertisement
Whether you believe it to be possible or not or even if it happens or not..ppl who are successful have achieved that against all odds…the man seems to be putting his all into doing big things and y’all complaining cause he’s loud and too optimistic
When your entire argument is centered around "The impossible can happen" , your argument is complete nonsense. There are people that jump from 5th story windows and survive, doesn't mean I'm going to bet my house on me surviving a fall.

Ruiz may be a billionaire, he may have found success, but I have almost 100 years of precedent, cost estimates, and elementary logic on my side. Which one carries more weight? You really think that the residents of Coral Gables, that are wealthy on their own, that have shown the ability to marshal political muscle on multiple proposals will tolerate a 50,000 seat stadium to be built near them? Yep, makes sense. Building at Trop Park is an option, but not a great one. It's still off campus, it's still a logistical nightmare, it's still going to require someone to put up hundreds of millions if not well over a billion.

When your entire argument is centered around "The impossible can happen" , your argument is complete nonsense. There are people that jump from 5th story windows and survive, doesn't mean I'm going to bet my house on me surviving a fall.

Ruiz may be a billionaire, he may have found success, but I have almost 100 years of precedent, cost estimates, and elementary logic on my side. Which one carries more weight? You really think that the residents of Coral Gables, that are wealthy on their own, that have shown the ability to marshal political muscle on multiple proposals will tolerate a 50,000 seat stadium to be built near them? Yep, makes sense. Building at Trop Park is an option, but not a great one. It's still off campus, it's still a logistical nightmare, it's still going to require someone to put up hundreds of millions if not well over a billion.

You and I both know that the likelihood of a stadium is extremely low, even if you go out 10 years.

As long as Ruiz keeps supporting vetted and legit NIL programs and makes other contributions to the university he loves, then he can make all the plans he wants for stadium.

So because he’s loud means he’s a fraud? Ok got it
Loud people tend to be the ones MOST likely to be doing dirt, but there are exceptions to that rule. When you are that loud, that flamboyant and obviously that ill prepared(He doesn't scream guy that is measured, that speaks only when necessary), it gives us with an IQ above room temp a reason to ask questions. Ruiz has torpedoed multiple plans so far, merely because he's flapped his gums. He's also the kind of guy that cares more about his own ego, than about helping the program. Those are the kind of boosters that will get a program in trouble. Sherwood Blount is a perfect example of that. Guess what? Alabama doesn't have a booster like that, and if they do threaten to get out of line, they are dealt with.

Miami fans are so desperate for someone to do the job that they refuse to do they will run to anyone, logic be damned. I hope Ruiz is what he presents himself as, but I also hope the University isn't allowing this guy to have too much power, because he's the type of guy that will torpedo everything, merely because he matters more than everyone else.

You and I both know that the likelihood of a stadium is extremely low, even if you go out 10 years.

As long as Ruiz keeps supporting vetted and legit NIL programs and makes other contributions to the university he loves, then he can make all the plans he wants for stadium.
As I've said on multiple occasions, I hope Ruiz gets his money and is able to donate. Miami needs all the booster cash they can get their hands on. I also hope the University doesn't allow this guy to be THE guy, because I get strong Sherwood Blount vibes from him. He's the kind of guy that once he gets in will start trying to tell people how to do their jobs. The good news is that right now, Miami has a coach in Cristobal that will deck a booster that dares tell him anything of the sort. What happens if Mario wins, leaves for the NFL(Or whatever) and Miami hires a Bobby Collins type? Exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back