Ruiz vs Corben

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are two schools of thought in regards to Ruiz: 1)He's legit and anyone that dares to question him is a jerk and 2)We hope he's legit, and if he is, great. However, there are legit red flags with this guy that can get this program screwed over.

Ruiz screams try hard, everything he does is for his ego and that's a problem in a field in which you have to do some things in silence. Building a stadium in CG isn't happening, and it's definately not happening when Ruiz flaps his gums about moving CGHS. That's the problem. He scuttles plans, because he can't keep his mouth shut. A lot of his grandiose dreams have already been exposed. I just hope that this guy gets his billions and donates accordingly. I also hope that the University sets clear guidelines, to keep him in line.

Advertisement

For context the start of the war. Fast forward to 36:00 minute mark.

His main point is he seemed to try to steal of the thunder from the return of CMC in to make a look at me fest.

I HAVE NO SIDE IN THIS SIMPLY POSTING THE BEGGINING OF THE **** TALKING FOR CONTEXT.

For context the start of the war. Fast forward to 36:00 minute mark.

His main point is he seemed to try to steal of the thunder from the return of CMC in to make a look at me fest.

I HAVE NO SIDE IN THIS SIMPLY POSTING THE BEGGINING OF THE **** TALKING FOR CONTEXT.

Tried to get through a minute and Billy has a ***** voice that makes my ears screech

Advertisement
Well, he clearly wants something closer than the current status so I would say it’s pretty **** similar.
Wanting something and it being possible are two different things. I want to walk on the moon, it happening isn't likely. I'm quite sure that the University would LOVE to own a facility on or directly adjacent to campus, but there are legit reasons why it won't happen, chief amongst them the City of Coral Gables.

There are two schools of thought in regards to Ruiz: 1)He's legit and anyone that dares to question him is a jerk and 2)We hope he's legit, and if he is, great. However, there are legit red flags with this guy that can get this program screwed over.

Ruiz screams try hard, everything he does is for his ego and that's a problem in a field in which you have to do some things in silence. Building a stadium in CG isn't happening, and it's definately not happening when Ruiz flaps his gums about moving CGHS. That's the problem. He scuttles plans, because he can't keep his mouth shut. A lot of his grandiose dreams have already been exposed. I just hope that this guy gets his billions and donates accordingly. I also hope that the University sets clear guidelines, to keep him in line.
You might get in trouble for this on this board be careful.

So because he’s loud means he’s a fraud? Ok got it

Wanting something and it being possible are two different things. I want to walk on the moon, it happening isn't likely. I'm quite sure that the University would LOVE to own a facility on or directly adjacent to campus, but there are legit reasons why it won't happen, chief amongst them the City of Coral Gables.
Hey, let’s hope for the best

Advertisement
Whether you believe it to be possible or not or even if it happens or not..ppl who are successful have achieved that against all odds…the man seems to be putting his all into doing big things and y’all complaining cause he’s loud and too optimistic

Personally I Think his target has always been Tropical Park, which isn’t without controversy. So he floated the outrageous idea of CGHS to make Tropical more acceptable and soften opposition.

So because he’s loud means he’s a fraud? Ok got it
It’s insane. If Nevin existed today and followed the NIL rules like Ruiz very clearly has been making an effort to do, the worst we would have had to do is possibly give back that money. You don’t need to operate in silence to pay guys anymore.

So is the big concern that he makes commitments that he can’t follow through with in the coming years? Or that his SPAC’s financials are cooked? The former, fine, though this isn’t the school’s first rodeo getting large gifts. The second, short of a whistleblower or SEC/FBI agent on the case, the person is talking out of their ***.

Last edited:
Advertisement
It’s insane. If Nevin existed today and followed the NIL rules like Ruiz very clearly has been making an effort to do, the worst we would have had to do is possibly give back that money. You don’t need to operate in silence to pay guys anymore.

So is the big concern that he makes commitments that he can’t follow through with in the coming years? Or that his SPAC’s financials are cooked?
Right I agree..the man is a lawyer who seems to understand the rules better than most…he’s an actual cane who wants the best for UM…at least let his business deal fail before crushing him..at least look into the NIL deals and make sure they are legit but nope he’s loud and remember Nevin smh

Corben has exposed how corrupt Miami politics on every level, but he does **** on the University.

He's an annoying necessary evil.
He ***** on the university for the truth. They haven’t cared about sports for 20 years. The academics have slumped. His movies have been more important for our recruiting than our actual performance. But people tend to prefer cheerleading to the truth. They see his calling out politicians as criticizing Miami instead of wanting better for the city.

And on Ruiz, dude needs to learn to do his **** more quietly. If all he wants is to be the savior, we will be in trouble. No idea who is the best Alabama boosters as they tend to stfu and take the glory more quietly. But that ain’t his way I guess.

Advertisement
He ***** on the university for the truth. They haven’t cared about sports for 20 years. The academics have slumped. His movies have been more important for our recruiting than our actual performance. But people tend to prefer cheerleading to the truth. They see his calling out politicians as criticizing Miami instead of wanting better for the city.

And on Ruiz, dude needs to learn to do his **** more quietly. If all he wants is to be the savior, we will be in trouble. No idea who is the best Alabama boosters as they tend to stfu and take the glory more quietly. But that ain’t his way I guess.
If he actually cared about Miami athletics as you contend then he'd actually know something about them. He routinely exposes his complete ignorance about it regularly.

He portrays everything Miami and UM related as corrupt and/or inept because that's his personal bread and butter not because he just wants to improve things.

This is where I'll actually give Lebatard the benefit of the doubt. I don't think he cares about UM but does care about Miami (the area) and would like to see things improve locally. Corben's worst nightmare is Miami at-large ever getting its **** together.

It's too late for me to research or care for it really that much so I'll defer to you on it.

Literally on his Wikipedia page. Not a lot of research required:

William Cohen (born 1978), better known by the stage name Billy Corben, is an American documentary film director. As a co-founder of the Miami-based studio Rakontur, along with producing partner Alfred Spellman, he has created films such as Cocaine Cowboys, Dawg Fight, and ESPN's 30 for 30 The U and The U Part 2.

Right I agree..the man is a lawyer who seems to understand the rules better than most…he’s an actual cane who wants the best for UM…at least let his business deal fail before crushing him..at least look into the NIL deals and make sure they are legit but nope he’s loud and remember Nevin smh
I know plenty of shady attorneys. But hiring the attorney who was engaged by the state to help draft the state’s NIL law is not something someone does who is trying to flout the rules. There is absolutely zero purpose in trying to do that given the state’s framework, SCOTUS decision, and what other schools are doing.

I get he may not be everyone’s cup of tea and I understand why people are gunshy after Nevin, but this is a totally different college sports world and one being a Ponzi schemer has absolutely zero to do with the other. For years we *****ed about having leadership that lacked vision or the desire to dream big. Now we have that and people like this **** and moan. Even if no stadium gets built, who gives a **** if this guy is spending his own time and money to pursue it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back