Ruiz stadium update

I’d prefer if the canes are the managing partner in this new build. I want miami to habe complete control of the venue and Allows what can be used there. I remember s canes nit gsme got shifted from the buc bc of a awards show
The reason the NIT game got shifted was that it was more profitable for the University for the awards show to be there, instead of the NIT game. That's why. The University of Miami owns the Watsco center, they pay an outside company(I believe it is still Global Spectrum) money to manage the facility and assist in booking events outside of our athletic department.

Advertisement
Pls understand, whether we pay up front or we pay on the back end from gross revenue, we’re paying. The notion that we’re playing for free is disingenuous. Playing for free would mean Ross/HRS made nothing from us. So whether we make $$ on ticket sales while forfeitting all other revenue or he comes in, see what our total gross revenue was & takes his cut, we’re paying. I don’t care how it’s sliced, Ross is making $$ from us; we’re not playing there for “free.”
Thats now what you argued earlier. I said we don’t oay rent we share revenue. Yes we’re gonna pay something to use a facility. I argued it was a revenue share not rent while you said we pay rent. Just saying

Thats now what you argued earlier. I said we don’t oay rent we share revenue. Yes we’re gonna pay something to use a facility. I argued it was a revenue share not rent while you said we pay rent. Just saying

However, if our financial report shows we owe $12.5m on the lease, what does that indicate?

Also, word-play is interesting. Utilizing the phrase: “don’t pay rent” would indicate Miami is not paying to play at HRS, which is untrue. My ex-wife use to do word-play games w/ me. She’ll take money from my account & say “I’m going to the store.” Well, b/c when we say “store” meant grocery store, she gave the indication that she took money to go to the grocery store. When she came back, there were no groceries, but she had mall bags. When asked ‘I thought u were going to the store?’ her reply was, “I did, Neiman Marcus is a store, isn’t it?” Was she technically correct? Yes, but utilizing a certain phrase gave a deceptive appearance.

By saying & arguing that Miami doesn’t pay rent, but it shares revenue, that’s the same chit. lol We’re paying to play there; the shared revenue is the cost, the rent, to play at HRS. So were u “technically” right that we don’t pay rent? Yes, in the traditional sense of how most ppl pay rent, but we’re paying rent in another form.

Last edited:
rent v revenue/expense share, same ****, different title, only important for financial reporting and sales tax. it's the same thing, unless you are talking about floors and ceilings, which none of us seem to know about

Advertisement
rent v revenue/expense share, same ****, different title, only important for financial reporting and sales tax. it's the same thing, unless you are talking about floors and ceilings, which none of us seem to know about

Exactly what I explained above ur post. Spot on

However, if our financial report shows we owe $12.5m on the lease, what does that indicate?

Also, word-play is interesting. Utilizing the phrase: “don’t pay rent” would indicate Miami is not paying to play at HRS, which is untrue. My ex-wife use to do word-play games w/ me. She’ll take money from my account & say “I’m going to the store.” Well, b/c when we say “store” meant grocery store, she gave the indication that she took money to go to the grocery store. When she came back, there were no groceries, but she had mall bags. When asked ‘I thought u were going to the store?’ her reply was, “I did, Neiman Marcus is a store, isn’t it?” Was she technically correct? Yes, but utilizing a certain phrase gave a deceptive appearance.

By saying & arguing that Miami doesn’t pay rent, but it shares revenue, that’s the same chit. lol We’re paying to play there; the shared revenue is the cost, the rent, to play at HRS. So were u “technically” right that we don’t pay rent? Yes, in the traditional sense of how most ppl pay rent, but we’re paying rent in another form.
I’m not arguing that we don’t pay to play there. revemue sharinf is the Samd thing. I’m just saying trchnically speaking

One major downside not talked about much about being a renter at Hard Rock is tailgate limitations. What is it only like 4 or 5 hours pregame when gates open? Let the fans in all day long

Snl You Suck GIF by Saturday Night Live
....... I'm kidding of course.... Saw the gif and thought it was funny..... I think we've all been taken for the "store" ride too many times to talk about...... 🤣 🤣

Advertisement
Given that all other directions are residential, all that commercial real estate east of Trop Park would skyrocket in value if the stadium were built there. If Ruiz hasn't already scooped that up himself, CIS should get in the speculation game. $20 no blocking, baby!

Advertisement
One major downside not talked about much about being a renter at Hard Rock is tailgate limitations. What is it only like 4 or 5 hours pregame when gates open? Let the fans in all day long
You want to deal with the liability issues? Exactly. A lot of schools, even the ones that play on campus are now putting guidelines in place for tailgates, because people are flipping stupid and will do crap that can and will harm others. Who the F wants.to tailgate for longer than 5 hours anyway?

You want to deal with the liability issues? Exactly. A lot of schools, even the ones that play on campus are now putting guidelines in place for tailgates, because people are flipping stupid and will do crap that can and will harm others. Who the F wants.to tailgate for longer than 5 hours anyway?
u mad, bro? I

I actually enjoy the atmosphere, the food, the fans, watching current games on a TV off my tailgate. When we play GT I'm posted up all day enjoying college football Saturday.

u mad, bro? I

I actually enjoy the atmosphere, the food, the fans, watching current games on a TV off my tailgate. When we play GT I'm posted up all day enjoying college football Saturday.

I get that, but the practical repercussions from a security and liability standpoint, of extending the drinking time at tailgates, is not worth it to them.

Which I understand completely. There is almost no upside to extending tailgate time for anyone with the exception of a small number of fans. I’m sure you keep up with social media and stadium pugilism and other shows of bad behavior that have been on the increase, and the vast majority of fans want it to stop.

Advertisement
I get that, but the practical repercussions from a security and liability standpoint, of extending the drinking time at tailgates, is not worth it to them.

Which I understand completely. There is almost no upside to extending tailgate time for anyone with the exception of a small number of fans. I’m sure you keep up with social media and stadium pugilism and other shows of bad behavior that have been on the increase, and the vast majority of fans want it to stop.
it just becomes too much for them to manage w overly long tailgate times. I domt really have an issue w the time now. It’s 4-5 hours before kick Normally. Don’t think it’ll change much elsewhere bc for all we know it could be something um prefers too

Who is going to pick up the tab for all of people needed to oversee parking, concessions, etc, etc? It won't be the Dolphins.

He is giving all that money for a stadium.

View attachment 198683

He is looking for an ROI, and rightfully so. Would that be such a bad thing? The Miami Hurricanes would be his money maker, so the product on the field has to be a good one. What happens when there isn't an ROI for all the NLI deals now? The man loves the Miami Hurricanes, but he is a businessman. A stadium would ensure some ROI continues to go back to the players to keep the fans in the stands.

He would ultimately be responsible for the upkeep of the stadium. A retractable won't be in place for football; I imagine it's more for concerts, graduation, HS football, etc. That money would be all his.

Hurricanes would have their home, which I imagine would only help in recruiting, conference realignment, and in this case NIL deals.

Split the revenue, make it rent-free, and we can play closer to the school. WIN-WIN

Plus, we won't have to play in the SEMINOLE hard rock anymore, as lovely as it may be, or for an NFL owner who finds it appropriate to honor the Gaytors NC in our home field.
your last point - there a large number of UF alums that live in sfl. the fins fanbase is made up of people who went to ton of diff schools not just UM. on top of that a former gator was the one who was behind organizing it (he was a former dolphin great). I didn't like it but as a fins fan, I know every person didn't go to UM who live in miami and grew up loving the fins. they went to UF, FSU, UCF, USF, FIU, etc. ****, in reality, there are less fins fans amongst the canes alumni than there are at other schools in FL bc the canes student body isnt locally source. its more out of state.

another point - I dont want any HS using the stadium. non starter for me. I hate how we have to share the field w the fins and never get out end zones. I dont want hs kids tearing up the field the day before canes games. I dont want a single HS using the field.

Agreed, however whoever controls the lease could jack up the price when the current lease ends (which I guarantee they will) and they'd have UM by the balls. Right now it's a pretty generous lease, I think UM pays 4 mil per year. It could double or triple the next time around. On top of that, the last upgrades to HRS will be almost 2 decades old by the time the lease is up. What happens if the owners decide they don't need to renovate because they are trying to strong arm the county into paying for it? We get to become the joke of CFB again for playing in a broken down ancient stadium.

It makes so much more sense for UM to have some ownership of a new stadium so the school doesn't have to completely rely on someone else to make needed changes.
again, UM doesn't tech pay rent. they share revenue. I dont know what the revenue sharing is (which is basically rent) but the actual number isnt out there from what ive seen. maybe they do a percentage split which is prolly what it is based on what Samson said about the marlins usage of HRS.

the county will never pay for any stadium updates. ross tried before and got rejected so he went in w his money. if the new owner wants more SBs, tennis, F1s, etc., he or she will be continuing to make updates to the stadium. this is the biggest guarantee bc of the fact that the Fins play there and want to conintue to host Super Bowls since they are huge economic drivers and revenue generators. Tampa built an edition, water street renovations, and a new JW based around the SB going back there.

we've seen what happens when an NFL team leaves a stadium - it turns into the piece of **** the OB was at the end. the county didn't want to put any more money into it.

the county doesn't put any money into the AAA either. the heat are responsible for that.

the marlins stadium deal screwed every franchise over

Advertisement
Back