Ruiz stadium update

That's just not true. Obscenely rich people do obscene things with their money, absent any care about financial probity/efficiency, all the time.

I understand the skepticism - and recognize that it'd probably take around a billion to get this done right - but there is nothing stopping Ruiz from proving to all of us that he is, indeed, a benevolent god.

And, Life Wallet Stadium hosting Super Bowl LXXV could put a sizeable dent in that ROI hole. Yanevano.

Yes, everybody spends stupid money on shlt they don’t need. Look in my closet and you’ll see a perfect example of that.

The way this is being inflated as to design, construction, and internal and surrounding amenities, we are literally talking well over 1 billion, and quite likely approaching 2 billion or over.

I don’t care how obscenely rich people are, I’ve never heard of $2+ billion being spent on a vanity project with no ROI, unless it’s a Middle East crazy rich person that owns a chunk of his country.

Advertisement
Yes, everybody spends stupid money on shlt they don’t need. Look in my closet and you’ll see a perfect example of that.

The way this is being inflated as to design, construction, and internal and surrounding amenities, we are literally talking well over 1 billion, and quite likely approaching 2 billion or over.

I don’t care how obscenely rich people are, I’ve never heard of $2+ billion being spent on a vanity project with no ROI, unless it’s a Middle East crazy rich person that owns a chunk of his country.
Ever hear of Bill Gates? Warren Buffet? ****, even Arthur Sachler (his reasons were less, shall we say, altruistic).

Multi-Billionaires give away multi-billions to support causes unto which they feel kindred (with absolutely 0 expectation of any monetary return)- ALL THE TIME.

We have already met one of those 2 prongs. Ruiz, pretty clearly, feels kindred with our University and athletic department - i.e. publicly donated 2 million to upgrade the baseball scoreboard last fall (what is the ROI there?). He's been a booster for decades - god only knows how many millions more he already has "in the hole" with UM. Prong 2 (admittedly, the harder of the two tests) will be if Ruiz will become enough of a billionaire to where he can donate 1 (or 2, based on your calculations) billion to our athletic department. My fingers and toes are crossed.

We'll see. The issue is not "the rules", it has always been the (over) enforcement of rules.

You're not supposed to drink underage, but it happened, except for that bad year in the late 80s when Florida was sending in ATF agents to use those pH sticks to test what people were drinking. A bunch of my fellow classmates took a conviction on that back in the day.

Lol that sounds like something the ***** dressed as HRS personnel at HRS would do!

You were right about one thing…. The Hard Rock Staff is a joke! It’s either they’ve never heard of football or they hate the home team. Either way, it needs to change.

Ever hear of Bill Gates? Warren Buffet? ****, even Arthur Sachler (his reasons were less, shall we say, altruistic).

Multi-Billionaires give away multi-billions to support causes unto which they feel kindred (with absolutely 0 expectation of any monetary return)- ALL THE TIME.

We have already met one of those 2 prongs. Ruiz, pretty clearly, feels kindred with our University and athletic department - i.e. publicly donated 2 million to upgrade the baseball scoreboard last fall (what is the ROI there?). He's been a booster for decades - god only knows how many millions more he already has "in the hole" with UM. Prong 2 (admittedly, the harder of the two tests) will be if Ruiz will become enough of a billionaire to where he can donate 1 (or 2, based on your calculations) billion to our athletic department. My fingers and toes are crossed.
Supporting a charity and supporting someone’s monetary adventure for profit isn’t the same lol

Advertisement

Charity is one thing. Nearly everyone makes charitable contributions of one form or another.

I’m sure you realize that the amounts the individuals you mentioned donate are only a fraction of their current worth, and as a matter of fact, the super ultra rich absolutely have to donate to charitable foundations, because there is a limit to how much they can leave their heirs.

I’m certain you’re familiar with the onerous financial limitations imposed by the IRS.

Finally, a couple of billion dollars is a significant chunk of his net worth.

I do NOT have a problem with him profiting from the arrangement, but I would not discount that there is a return motive with this possible upcoming charity.

Over my lifetime myself and my family have contributed a substantial amount to the University Of Miami, at least substantial from my perspective, maybe not from your perspective, and I’m expecting a return.

That return would be calculated in the pleasure I get in the team hoisting up a sixth trophy.

Bill Gates and Warren Buffett have given away more to charity than John Ruiz will ever be worth. They aren’t in the same stratosphere of wealth. That was a bad example to use.

Charity is one thing. Nearly everyone makes charitable contributions of one form or another.

I’m sure you realize that the amounts the individuals you mentioned donate are only a fraction of their current worth, and as a matter of fact, the super ultra rich absolutely have to donate to charitable foundations, because there is a limit to how much they can leave their heirs.

I’m certain you’re familiar with the onerous financial limitations imposed by the IRS.

Finally, a couple of billion dollars is a significant chunk of his net worth.

I do NOT have a problem with him profiting from the arrangement, but I would not discount that there is a return motive with this possible upcoming charity.

Over my lifetime myself and my family have contributed a substantial amount to the University Of Miami, at least substantial from my perspective, maybe not from your perspective, and I’m expecting a return.

That return would be calculated in the pleasure I get in the team hoisting up a sixth trophy.
Fair enough. I’m not naïve enough to think that Johnny boy would just be forking over 10% of his net worth for “nothing.” And I’m not saying this will happen tomorrow.

I do think it’d be unfair to assume he would not be willing to set up an operating agreement for this new, dedicated, university of Miami focused, stadium that he seems motivated and willing to build, with terms materially advantageous to the University (at his “expense”) - simply because doing so would be bad business.

Advertisement
Bill Gates and Warren Buffett have given away more to charity than John Ruiz will ever be worth. They aren’t in the same stratosphere of wealth. That was a bad example to use.
Maybe so. Got the point across though.

And 20 billion is still ***k you, I’ll build my own stadium, money. (Yeah yeah. I know. He doesn’t have 20 billion… yet)

Fair enough. I’m not naïve enough to think that Johnny boy would just be forking over 10% of his net worth for “nothing.” And I’m not saying this will happen tomorrow.

I do think it’d be unfair to assume he would not be willing to set up an operating agreement for this new, dedicated, university of Miami focused, stadium that he seems motivated and willing to build, with terms materially advantageous to the University (at his “expense”) - simply because doing so would be bad business.

He is giving all that money for a stadium.

1657925259881.png

He is looking for an ROI, and rightfully so. Would that be such a bad thing? The Miami Hurricanes would be his money maker, so the product on the field has to be a good one. What happens when there isn't an ROI for all the NLI deals now? The man loves the Miami Hurricanes, but he is a businessman. A stadium would ensure some ROI continues to go back to the players to keep the fans in the stands.

He would ultimately be responsible for the upkeep of the stadium. A retractable won't be in place for football; I imagine it's more for concerts, graduation, HS football, etc. That money would be all his.

Hurricanes would have their home, which I imagine would only help in recruiting, conference realignment, and in this case NIL deals.

Split the revenue, make it rent-free, and we can play closer to the school. WIN-WIN

Plus, we won't have to play in the SEMINOLE hard rock anymore, as lovely as it may be, or for an NFL owner who finds it appropriate to honor the Gaytors NC in our home field.

Last edited:

View attachment 198683

He is looking for an ROI, and rightfully so. Would that be such a bad thing? The Miami Hurricanes would be his money maker, so the product on the field has to be a good one. What happens when there isn't an ROI for all the NLI deals now? The man loves the Miami Hurricanes, but he is a businessman. A stadium would ensure some ROI continues to go back to the players to keep the fans in the stands.

He would ultimately be responsible for the upkeep of the stadium. A retractable won't be in place for football; I imagine it's more for concerts, graduation, HS football, etc. That money would be all his.

Hurricanes would have their home, which I imagine would only help in recruiting, conference realignment, and in this case NLI deals.

Split the revenue, make it rent-free, and we can play closer to the school. WIN-WIN

Plus, we won't have to play in the SEMINOLE hard rock anymore, as lovely as it may be, or for an NFL owner who finds it appropriate to honor the Gaytors NC in our home field.
Agreed.100%.

I understand I’ve been putting forth a rather “pie in the sky” opinion here. Ruiz will want the stadium (and the surrounding areas) to be a money making venture. No doubt.

I’m just countering most of the reasons (non-broward/palm beach “my drive will be too long” - which are wholly dismissible) given as to why this won’t/can’t/wouldn’t/shouldn’t ever happen which seem to center around the belief that the move to “life wallet field at John Ruiz stadium” will be “lateral.” I disagree.

Sure, this may be bad business, but there’s nothing stopping Ruiz from a) not charging us rent, b) letting us keep all of our game day revenue, **** even c) giving us an equity partnership in the stadium.

Why not? He seems like a swell guy, who really wants to help his nourishing mother (and get his name on a big important building, and make lots more money).

Advertisement
Agreed.100%.

I understand I’ve been putting forth a rather “pie in the sky” opinion here. Ruiz will want the stadium (and the surrounding areas) to be a money making venture. No doubt.

I’m just countering most of the reasons (non-broward/palm beach “my drive will be too long” - which are wholly dismissible) given as to why this won’t/can’t/wouldn’t/shouldn’t ever happen which seem to center around the belief that the move to “life wallet field at John Ruiz stadium” will be “lateral.” I disagree.

Sure, this may be bad business, but there’s nothing stopping Ruiz from a) not charging us rent, b) letting us keep all of our game day revenue, **** even c) giving us an equity partnership in the stadium.

Why not? He seems like a swell guy, who really wants to help his nourishing mother (and get his name on a big important building, and make lots more money).
This would make Ruiz a legend, not just at the University of Miami, but in the entire south Florida community, possibly more. Ruiz is already getting celebrity status with NIL.

Advertisement

View attachment 198683

Hurricanes would have their home, which I imagine would only help in recruiting, conference realignment, and in this case NIL deals.

You paint a pretty picture, and I agree with Ruiz having a return for his money, I’ve been saying so. Zero wrong with any of that.

The important thing for those that are not part of the negotiation process to understand is that, as several have mentioned throughout this thread, there are significant legal, legislative, and approval process obstacles, as well as some logistic challenges, that don’t make this a sure thing.

I’m sure you would agree it is not a sure thing. Anybody that would say that is delusional.

So now that we found this one point of agreement, will you also agree with me that denigrating where we currently play now, as you did in your last sentence, is extremely unhelpful, especially if the stadium obstacles cannot be overcome over the next ten years?

the lease agreement, if properly papered, survives the death of ross and/or the sale of the dolphins. the owner of the dolphins is not the hurricanes' landlord

Agreed, however whoever controls the lease could jack up the price when the current lease ends (which I guarantee they will) and they'd have UM by the balls. Right now it's a pretty generous lease, I think UM pays 4 mil per year. It could double or triple the next time around. On top of that, the last upgrades to HRS will be almost 2 decades old by the time the lease is up. What happens if the owners decide they don't need to renovate because they are trying to strong arm the county into paying for it? We get to become the joke of CFB again for playing in a broken down ancient stadium.

It makes so much more sense for UM to have some ownership of a new stadium so the school doesn't have to completely rely on someone else to make needed changes.

You paint a pretty picture, and I agree with Ruiz having a return for his money, I’ve been saying so. Zero wrong with any of that.

The important thing for those that are not part of the negotiation process to understand is that, as several have mentioned throughout this thread, there are significant legal, legislative, and approval process obstacles, as well as some logistic challenges, that don’t make this a sure thing.

I’m sure you would agree it is not a sure thing. Anybody that would say that is delusional.

So now that we found this one point of agreement, will you also agree with me that denigrating where we currently play now, as you did in your last sentence, is extremely unhelpful, especially if the stadium obstacles cannot be overcome over the next ten years?

All jokes aside, it would be a dream scenario, but it could be lengthy. I understand that, and I have never been more optimistic because of Ruiz.

That last sentence was mostly me joking, but that crap Ross pulled ****ed me off at the time. It's in the past, and if the Hard Rock stays our home, I will enjoy that place because I get to watch my canes. We can honestly play in a high school stadium, and as long as I get to watch my canes play, I would love it.

This is just my opinion but the upper deck at HRS usually offers a better vantage point even though you're technically further away. The lower bowl slopes pretty gradually and sits kind of low. Club level offers the best vantage point. Lower bowl endzone (and upper deck endzone) is also very nice. Here let me illustrate

liljoep02-20220604025503.jpg
Great seats!!

Advertisement
Back