Ruiz potentially suing the NCAA….

Unless the rule is overruled by a state or federal ruling. That’s why NIL is wild (one reason). States like CA can start paying before enrolling in college. FL you currently can’t. The NCAA can’t regulate it because that’s all state level now that they lost the NIL case.

If Ruiz were to win this I think it would be apocalyptic for the NCAA.
To me the issue is that the NCAA can still accuse teams of conspiring with those offering NIL money. By their rules they can investigate anyone they want, and we all know the investigation itself is damaging. There's power in having that ability to launch damaging investigations, just ask congress.

Advertisement
We'll see in a few years, but I'm betting the NCAA is going to find a way to hold on to power. A multi-billion dollar company with squadrons of lawyers is a tough thing to take power from.

Well, they were intimidated into giving us lesser penalties, so let’s see how they hold onto their power.

To me the issue is that the NCAA can still accuse teams of conspiring with those offering NIL money. By their rules they can investigate anyone they want, and we all know the investigation itself is damaging. There's power in having that ability to launch damaging investigations, just ask congress.

I don’t disagree and this would be a very difficult case. I’m still on the fence but a key statement you made (above) “by their rules…..anyone they want”. The flip side is if Ruiz won and he’s not a booster, what does any future investigation hang on?

NCAA Rules state (literally almost anyone) can be lumped as a booster. If that’s decided as trash by the feds then they no longer have the rules to even investigate.

That’s why this came about really. They lost power with NIL so they had to look at something, anything down in Coral Gables and Ruiz. Without a booster label Ruiz has even more power over an area the NCAA is sinking in.

Advertisement
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but didn't the NCAA declare that this case has no precedential value because the rule at issue has since been changed and the conduct complained of is no longer a violation?

No, the NCAA didn't say the Miami case has no precedential value. In fact, the NCAA hinted the exact opposite when they said they would be pursuing disassociation of boosters in the future for similar violations.

I'm not sure why you are saying "the conduct complained of is no longer a violation". You can explain why you think that, but I don't think you have that analysis quite right.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Ok, I misunderstood the penalty

It's all good. Prior to the adjudication of the case, we suspended Katie for a few games at the beginning of the season. A post-season ban was never self-imposed or imposed. Being "on probation" is a separate issue, it is not the same as "post-season ban".

You can have one without the other.

Ruiz should sue the f #ckface who wrote this article for defamation. Hack writer says Ruiz is "another Nevin Shapiro."

Screenshot_20230404_120418_DuckDuckGo.png

Not a good look.

Advertisement
Just sucks losers like Rovell and the media are rooting for Ruiz and LifeWallet to fail. Only because he's vocal on social media... Good news is Miami NIL is much bigger than Ruiz. We will see what happens...

Advertisement
Back