Ruiz family podcast

I get it ... I'm just saying the $500M could be better used elsewhere on campus that benefits athletics and improves the university at the same time. A stadium a few miles away from campus vs 20 miles isn't a good ROI. Now if he was buying up houses between the hospital, west Lab, and Ponce to build a state-of-the-art stadium then all for it. Building at Tropical or some other **** location NOT on campus is a waste of resources.

You can give your $500 million to benefit athletics elsewhere on campus and worry about ROI.

Ruiz wants to use his own money to buy us a stadium that will cost us nothing across the street from campus, and people want to complain.

Unreal.

Advertisement
The man said so explicitly. Said he was not asking for any funding.
No I get that. If he's the first guy to fully self-funded a stadium for 50k+ people than he deserves to have the university named after him. University of Miami - Ruiz.

BUT I think he's just trying to generate more and more hype for the program (obviously a great thing) and help get things going. Personally I think this is grandstanding 101 but I'm all here for it. Love this guy.

The former site of Holsum Bakery, formerly owned by UM alum George Wilson and his wife Jane (whose father founded Holsum Bakery).

If only they had donated the land in the 1980s instead of building Bakery Centre...
Interesting. I lived a stone’s throw away from the Bakery Centre when I was a student. It was shuttered when I first moved to South Miami. I saw the site being rebuilt into Sunset Place, around 1999 or 2000 I think it was. It did a lot for the area.

Tropical would be unbelievable. The tailgating could be epic. And it’s only 6-7 games a year. So what’s the problem. Highway access from two sides. Come in through miller or bird. And the residents of westcHester will be easier than the gables. And when the 6 games a year aren’t happening it’s business as usual for the park. And that’s the heart of Miami

Advertisement
Proximity to campus isn't the only issue. 50k capacity is the big item here.
HRS is lovely but not when its nearly empty, as it is for most home games.

Advertisement
Back