Ruiz Family (OT)

Advertisement
My spidey sense just went full haywire. Sounds like a profit play for him suddenly.
Obviously this is all pre pre pre preliminary banter/fantasy talk right now but the amount of money it would actually cost to build even a 50k seat venue would absolutely dictate that the dude should have development rights around the stadium.

Truth be told, it actually would be pretty cool if there was a bar or two or some restaurants to hit up in the vicinity of the stadium after a Canes win and as you wait for traffic to dissipate.

Obviously this is all pre pre pre preliminary banter/fantasy talk right now but the amount of money it would actually cost to build even a 50k seat venue would absolutely dictate that the dude should have development rights around the stadium.

Truth be told, it actually would be pretty cool if there was a bar or two or some restaurants to hit up in the vicinity of the stadium after a Canes win and as you wait for traffic to dissipate.
Three breweries right across the 826 and a Taco Bell across the street.

What else do you need? 😉

Advertisement
I was listening to him on the spaces and it sounds like he wants to build a stadium and put restaurants and bars around it like other schools have. He said hard rock doesn’t have that.

Someone please tell me where this scenario would even be possible let alone just a dome stadium??

Cynical me is assuming this is all end of year tax write offs….but ultimately who cares as long as it’s going to good causes

I'm sure even the most altruistic and charitable millionaires around do it in a way that minimizes taxes. At the very least, less going to taxes is more you can give!

There was a line in an episode of Billions... "sports franchises are how we knight people in America." Even for most billionaires, owning a big 3 sports franchise is far out of reach. If Ruiz gets a stadium built, he will have his castle.

I was listening to him on the spaces and it sounds like he wants to build a stadium and put restaurants and bars around it like other schools have. He said hard rock doesn’t have that.

And they don’t.

Also, when SoFi is completed (meaning the amenities surrounding it), the amount of revenue for the city of Inglewood is going to be up exponentially. My neighbor is already bankrolling as she uses her home as an Airbnb for games & concerts.

Again, proper planning & it can be mutually beneficial, not just for The U, but for the city, developers, employment opportunities, etc.

Advertisement
I love his ambition and the goal but it’s starting to feel like a ton of self promotion. Where is the initial donation to the department itself while he does this Ala what he just announced for his high school?

Of course Ruiz is going to make this an investment of sorts. But if can get it done, good for him and good for all of us. And yes, having bars around the stadium would be great. ****, remember how hard it was to get into the Bowl Bar--that place made a killing off of Dolphin and Cane games for decades.

And they don’t.

Also, when SoFi is completed (meaning the amenities surrounding it), the amount of revenue for the city of Inglewood is going to be up exponentially. My neighbor is already bankrolling as she uses her home as an Airbnb for games & concerts.

Again, proper planning & it can be mutually beneficial, not just for The U, but for the city, developers, employment opportunities, etc.
SoFi is really the most impressive new build American sports venue in easily the last 20 years. JerryWorld got so much hype but the only thing truly impressive about that place is its size- and that can also be a negative in-person.

The college town feel. I’m all for that.

Id suggest moving or putting a 2nd caneswear location right outside of the stadium too.

Advertisement

Id suggest moving or putting a 2nd caneswear location right outside of the stadium too.
I’d have them look at something similar to “The battery” in Atlanta where the Braves play. They have shops and restaurants surrounding the stadium and the team owns all of it. I just don’t know how sustainable the business would be on non gamedays.

Advertisement

Wouldn't bother me, but you'd want some control over the tenants so it's not off-brand for a college.

Also, who is actually going to OWN the stadium... and CONTROL it?

https://media4.giphy.com/media/***rtzFK95T6qLvk4G/200.gif

Last edited:

Not really a college town feel thing. It’s standard procedure for any new arena/stadium development - surround it with amenities and revitalize the area. That blueprint has been a huge success esp for the arenas and baseball stadiums.

Advertisement
Back