Ruiz Family (OT)

I’d have them look at something similar to “The battery” in Atlanta where the Braves play. They have shops and restaurants surrounding the stadium and the team owns all of it. I just don’t know how sustainable the business would be on non gamedays.

I live about 10 minutes from “The battery”, the whisky bar, cigar lounge, and restaurants in the general area is a good experience during braves games.

Advertisement
Off campus UM housing, restaurants, a hotel, retail, commercial. Anyone been to the Battery in ATL?

Advertisement
My spidey sense just went full haywire. Sounds like a profit play for him suddenly.

As others have noted, this is how things get done. Nearly every stadium that came from any level of private funding was done in such a manner as to provide the people donating the money first dibs on the commercial land surrounding the stadium. ****, even the stadiums that come from public funding generally have the donors of the politicians in charge getting advanced notice on where to purchase land. That's the game.

For me, I'm hopeful that the Ruiz family leaves a little meat on the bone for some small players. I'd love to see some access for street vendors, food trucks, etc. instead of just a bunch of national "bar food" chain restaurants. To me that would be a great way to recreate the old Orange Bowl vibe.

SoFi is really the most impressive new build American sports venue in easily the last 20 years. JerryWorld got so much hype but the only thing truly impressive about that place is its size- and that can also be a negative in-person.
FCE34E26-B432-4EFA-B12D-33E4C50610B6.jpeg

Looks like they're starting at Tropical Park. This dude is insane.

Guy is flying around looking At potential sites like this is farm land he can just pick where he wants to buy like plots of land are available in a new development and just ready for something like this. Add in this blonde fake bombshell and his young sons. The appearance of it all is weird, forced and doesn’t feel right. I could be wrong.

Advertisement
Here's 47 acres of Battery Park

battery 47.jpg

And here's 50 acres of Tropical park:

Tropical 50.jpg

The two lake at the south end of TP are about 42 acres combined. Coral Gables High is 25 acres.

Last edited:
Obviously this is all pre pre pre preliminary banter/fantasy talk right now but the amount of money it would actually cost to build even a 50k seat venue would absolutely dictate that the dude should have development rights around the stadium.

Truth be told, it actually would be pretty cool if there was a bar or two or some restaurants to hit up in the vicinity of the stadium after a Canes win and as you wait for traffic to dissipate.

He literally has to pay for it himself. Either that or himself plus donations.

I can almost guarantee you he will not get a penny of public money for a private stadium. There is no appetite for that in the general public.

The stadium alone we’re talking in the neighborhood of $1 billion or more if you’re going to build something more than an erector set UCF type stadium.

I don't want to say anything libelous because I’ve never really looked real hard into his business model or his SPAC, but I’m starting to get an Elizabeth Holmes feel to this. I hope I’m wrong.

I will definitely take his 10 million and whatever other millions he wants to contribute, I’m very much appreciative. We need a bunch more people like him. So I’m grateful for that.

But is he going be ready to plunk down a billion or more of his own money?

Advertisement
So, we not only want a ‘Miami Hurricanes stadium‘, but someone has to donate the cost out of goodness of their heart?

No need for a return on investment?

Who are these ‘woke’ people complaining?

"Woke" my ***. Don't be a political ****. I guarantee you I've personally done more business than your bloodline started after the ice age has.

Yes, its called philanthropy. And you get wicked tax write-offs for it. That's your 'ROI." We have to be careful. We don't wan't "our" stadium to be controlled by a 3rd party. It's the situation we are in now, and you never know what will happen with people in the future. This may be a tricky situation. Does he want to "build Miami a stadium" or "build a stadium to lease to Miami so he can develop the land around is, control out future, and make money off a non-profit entity."

These things will need to be answered, and with Rad in charge, we will be good.

why I feel like this dude has a little dirty money he's trying to clean real quick
Because he's moving like someone that is a hurry, like he knows that the jig can be up quickly. The big, big money guys rarely say anything, they make their moves in silence. The guys that are quick buck artists are the ones that tend to make bombastic proclamations, because they desperately need that PR to get the ball rolling. Say what you want, Trump is the master of it, in regards to real estate. Everyone remembers the grand proclamations he makes with buildings, no one remembers things cratering.

If Ruiz was truly serious about making this happen, he wouldn't be saying anything, because he's hurting his cause by creating hype. If you have any bit of an open parcel in Miami Dade county, you are already looking to jack up the price, if he even comes within 20 miles of it.

Advertisement
The hooligan in me says bars around the stadium are great. When the visiting fans pass by chuck a couple of empties at them them grab a fresh brew. It's a win/win.

Humor, fvckhead, humor…

Then let me help you navigate the rest of your life:

You're not funny.

Also, don't use the humor cop out as a crutch after the fact when you step in it. No one falls for it. I promise.

Seriously, keep the political BS off of here. I think it's hot **** rule, even.

He literally has to pay for it himself. Either that or himself plus donations.

I can almost guarantee you he will not get a penny of public money for a private stadium. There is no appetite for that in the general public.

The stadium alone we’re talking in the neighborhood of $1 billion or more if you’re going to build something more than an erector set UCF type stadium.

I don't want to say anything libelous because I’ve never really looked real hard into his business model or his SPAC, but I’m starting to get an Elizabeth Holmes feel to this. I hope I’m wrong.

I will definitely take his 10 million and whatever other millions he wants to contribute, I’m very much appreciative. We need a bunch more people like him. So I’m grateful for that.

But is he going be ready to plunk down a billion or more of his own money?

When he first started flapping his gums, I got that same vibe and I said it on this board. Don't get me wrong, we should take the money(If things go sideways, we can always return it and I'm quite sure the Soffers or Lemonis will make up for it), but something isn't stirring the kool-aid right when it comes to him. Guys that are always in a hurry and make these poorly conceived proclamations gives me pause.

Advertisement
Back