RPO O Line assignment? Football heads X's and O's question.

[MENTION=5124]Coach Macho[/MENTION]...
He has a pass zone responsibility (hook/curl/flat) and he has a run gap responsibility (usually B-gap).

True, but I also think it's a numbers game too. In the example at :31 of the video, I look at it as a 3 on 1 type situation...the QB,RB, & WR, vs the player they're trying to deceive.

I have nothing against the RPO, just seems to me the objective of these concepts is to try to make you forget you're playing D with 11 people.

Advertisement
Wait a minute wait a minute. You mean the QB does run in the RPO?

No - he would throw it or hand it off, but the threat of him running the ball would keep the DE honest, and not let him fly down the line and tackle the RB.

You block the DE on RPO's, not leave him free.

Well you don't leave him "free" but with a below average OL it is generally really easy for them to beat the OT, or really any of the OL and get to the QB due to the OL blocking like a run, and DL playing it like a pass. So the QB doesn't have much time to get rid of the ball. It's why the qb makes one read (the LB) and gets rid of it or hands it off. kaaya wouldn't succeed doing the RPO if it wasn't always a bubble. screen.

*sigh*

On most RPO's the OT doesn't run block, he kicks the DE out. (like pass pro) This is to open up the B-gap for the run.

The reason the ball has to be thrown quickly has nothing to do with the blocking scheme. The throw is a "now" throw. The QB can't hold onto the ball because 4/5 linemen are run blocking. If he holds onto the ball then they'll get a penalty for illegal man downfield.

I can tell you for a fact that the RPO leaves the QB vulnerable. I watched every single game Jared Goff played at Cal, and thats the offense he ran. And I can tell you he got the **** kicked out of him because he had a terrible OL and the scheme left free rushers. The difference is Goff didn't fall apart under pressure, and he was amazing at moving in the pocket. Kaaya is the exact opposite as Goff. And thats why I said if Kaaya was running the RPO like Cal did, which is what I'm most familiar with, hed have been So much more trash than he was this year.

[MENTION=5124]Coach Macho[/MENTION]...
He has a pass zone responsibility (hook/curl/flat) and he has a run gap responsibility (usually B-gap).

True, but I also think it's a numbers game too. In the example at :31 of the video, I look at it as a 3 on 1 type situation...the QB,RB, & WR, vs the player they're trying to deceive.

I have nothing against the RPO, just seems to me the objective of these concepts is to try to make you forget you're playing D with 11 people.

Keyhoe taught - cut\seal\climb in the zone run game. What you see at 0:31 is seal blocks to sale the run carried out by RB. If the the LB did not step up Kaaya would have gave the RB the ball. The RB would have then read the block of the TE on the DE. If the TE can maintain the hook on the DE then he would have ran the ball inside between the TE and the backside of the OT. If the TE couldn't maintain the hook he would have bounced it outside left hip of the TE. Because the LB stepped up and played the run; Coley was then able to take advantage of the middle of the field area where the LB would have been. This Run blocking 101. RPO all day.

Last edited:
I'm confused now on what's even being discussed anymore... that RPO's need a mobile QB? That RPO's mean inside zone read? That RPO's don't pay their share of taxes? That RPO's are communists? That RPO's cure cancer?

Advertisement
I'm confused now on what's even being discussed anymore... that RPO's need a mobile QB? That RPO's mean inside zone read? That RPO's don't pay their share of taxes? That RPO's are communists? That RPO's cure cancer?

So true... RPO Blah Blah Blah... I'm sure someone will post more videos and definitions... I can almost guarantee it!!!!

No - he would throw it or hand it off, but the threat of him running the ball would keep the DE honest, and not let him fly down the line and tackle the RB.

Well you don't leave him "free" but with a below average OL it is generally really easy for them to beat the OT, or really any of the OL and get to the QB due to the OL blocking like a run, and DL playing it like a pass. So the QB doesn't have much time to get rid of the ball. It's why the qb makes one read (the LB) and gets rid of it or hands it off. kaaya wouldn't succeed doing the RPO if it wasn't always a bubble. screen.

*sigh*

On most RPO's the OT doesn't run block, he kicks the DE out. (like pass pro) This is to open up the B-gap for the run.

The reason the ball has to be thrown quickly has nothing to do with the blocking scheme. The throw is a "now" throw. The QB can't hold onto the ball because 4/5 linemen are run blocking. If he holds onto the ball then they'll get a penalty for illegal man downfield.

I can tell you for a fact that the RPO leaves the QB vulnerable. I watched every single game Jared Goff played at Cal, and thats the offense he ran. And I can tell you he got the **** kicked out of him because he had a terrible OL and the scheme left free rushers. The difference is Goff didn't fall apart under pressure, and he was amazing at moving in the pocket. Kaaya is the exact opposite as Goff. And thats why I said if Kaaya was running the RPO like Cal did, which is what I'm most familiar with, hed have been So much more trash than he was this year.

that's absolutely false, the RPO doesn't leave the QB vulnerable. The RPO is blocked just like a regular run play, they don't leave a DE or any defender unblocked. The offensive line doesn't even know if he hands it off or throws it. unless the lineman misses a block or there is a perfectly called blitz there is no free defender to hit the QB

Cal's offensive line being bad doesn't have anything to do with the RPO

*sigh*

Alright man. What do I know.

*sigh*

that's absolutely false, the RPO doesn't leave the QB vulnerable. The RPO is blocked just like a regular run play, they don't leave a DE or any defender unblocked. The offensive line doesn't even know if he hands it off or throws it. unless the lineman misses a block or there is a perfectly called blitz there is no free defender to hit the QB

Offensive Line has NO CLUE whether the ball is being handed off or not.

Funny thing is, the defensive front-7 has no clue what's happening either, all they know is that they're being given a "run read", therefore they don't even rush the passer. (they take their run fits)

Any DE that is "left alone" isn't going to run straight to the QB cause they're taught to "squeeze" any time their OT down-blocks.

Advertisement

*sigh*

Funny thing is, the defensive front-7 has no clue what's happening either, all they know is that they're being given a "run read", therefore they don't even rush the passer. (they take their run fits)

Any DE that is "left alone" isn't going to run straight to the QB cause they're taught to "squeeze" any time their OT down-blocks.
Because i'm not going to go through the effort of finding examples, I'll let jon gruden do it for you. In his QB camp with Jared. He talks about RPO's from like 10:20 on
[video=youtube_share;ri8pszcjDx8]https://youtu.be/ri8pszcjDx8?t=10m25s[/video]
Gruden calls the RPO the "Ridiculous Protection offense".

*sigh*

Because i'm not going to go through the effort of finding examples, I'll let jon gruden do it for you. In his QB camp with Jared. He talks about RPO's from like 10:20 on

Lmao man did you even watch the plays. On a couple of the plays the defense sent sent an overload blitz to the weak side. The whole point of an overload is the send more than they can block on than he weak side. That's not an RPO issue that's a great defensive play call. The first couple of plays the RT just gets beat 1 on 1. Doesn't matter what play was called he just lost the 1 v 1. The last 1 vs Utah should have been handed off first of all. But even when he pulled it the oline man let the defender cross his face and got beat and the weak side LB looped around free. But Goff and Gruden even said the backside 7 isn't the read, he should have hit the 3 step slant and he gets it out so quick he still doesn't get hit.

Now I'm going to argue your side for you to help everyone reading out.

If the run call that the RPO is built into stretch or outside zone then sometimes, depending on coaches design the backside DE doesn't get blocked as you assume the DE won't be able to run down the RB from behind. Review the first couple of plays when he ran the RPO off of power, no free defenders, Goff only got hit cuz lineman lost 1 v 1. The "free" defenders didn't start showing until they ran it off the stretch zone but even then the pressure came off a blitz on 1 play and Goff trying to force a deep throw instead of taking the 3 step slant.

But once again this has nothing to do with the RPO in general as it can be can from virtually any run play.

Lmao man did you even watch the plays. On a couple of the plays the defense sent sent an overload blitz to the weak side. The whole point of an overload is the send more than they can block on than he weak side. That's not an RPO issue that's a great defensive play call. The first couple of plays the RT just gets beat 1 on 1. Doesn't matter what play was called he just lost the 1 v 1. The last 1 vs Utah should have been handed off first of all. But even when he pulled it the oline man let the defender cross his face and got beat and the weak side LB looped around free. But Goff and Gruden even said the backside 7 isn't the read, he should have hit the 3 step slant and he gets it out so quick he still doesn't get hit.

If the run call that the RPO is built into stretch or outside zone then sometimes, depending on coaches design the backside DE doesn't get blocked as you assume the DE won't be able to run down the RB from behind. Review the first couple of plays when he ran the RPO off of power, no free defenders, Goff only got hit cuz lineman lost 1 v 1. The "free" defenders didn't start showing until they ran it off the stretch zone but even then the pressure came off a blitz on 1 play and Goff trying to force a deep throw instead of taking the 3 step slant.

But once again this has nothing to do with the RPO in general as it can be can from virtually any run play.

Jared literally says on one of the first RPO shown when his RT get beat that its not his fault and that he did a good job because he was blocking run. You say he only got hit because his OL got beat. But I'm saying the OL got beat because he was blocking like it was a run, and the DL played it like it was a pass.

I find it funny that Jon Gruden literally is calling the RPO system ridiculous protection, and throughout was basically pointing out how it sets him up to take a beating, yet you guys are sitting here trying to tell me RPO's cant possibly lead to free rushers or pressure on the qb. its kind of ridiculous.

And this all basically because I said the truth, that if Kaaya was asked to do anything more than the bubble screens on the RPOs we ran hed be an absolute failure due to his lack of mobility and inability to throw under any type of pressure. And if you are going to have the RPO as the main staple of the offense you are going to be doing more complicated thing, not just the bubble or quick slant.

Jared literally says on one of the first RPO shown when his RT get beat that its not his fault and that he did a good job because he was blocking run. You say he only got hit because his OL got beat. But I'm saying the OL got beat because he was blocking like it was a run, and the DL played it like it was a pass.

I find it funny that Jon Gruden literally is calling the RPO system ridiculous protection, and throughout was basically pointing out how it sets him up to take a beating, yet you guys are sitting here trying to tell me RPO's cant possibly lead to free rushers or pressure on the qb. its kind of ridiculous.

And this all basically because I said the truth, that if Kaaya was asked to do anything more than the bubble screens on the RPOs we ran hed be an absolute failure due to his lack of mobility and inability to throw under any type of pressure. And if you are going to have the RPO as the main staple of the offense you are going to be doing more complicated thing, not just the bubble or quick slant.

Kaaya does run other RPO's though, they're not all bubbles.

And Gruden is an old purist who says all kinds of ridiculous ****.

Some of those RPO's that they show in that video are have long developing routes. The defense is also blitzing on most of those clips. The fist clip you referenced, the OT simply got beat. (and it wasn't just cause he was run blocking, I don't care what that kid says)

Don't let a couple clips fool you, your QB shouldn't be getting drilled often on RPO's. The ball should be out quick. We (Southeast) run RPO's all the time and our QB doesn't get drilled.

Advertisement
I'm still intrigued to see how D-Coordinators evolve to help the conflicted/hanging OLB/Nickel in the RPO. The same way they experimented with and ultimately landed on gap exchanges for zone-read, we're already seeing disguises for the hanging defender and different bracket coverages. It's an interesting cat and mouse game between RPO callers and D-Coordinators.

Some of those RPO's that they show in that video are have long developing routes. The defense is also blitzing on most of those clips. The fist clip you referenced, the OT simply got beat. (and it wasn't just cause he was run blocking, I don't care what that kid says)

Don't let a couple clips fool you, your QB shouldn't be getting drilled often on RPO's. The ball should be out quick. We (Southeast) run RPO's all the time and our QB doesn't get drilled.

so now you guys are using the excuse that its only because they are blitzing.
i guess we just have an agreement with the other team that they wont blitz when we r running the rpo.

now youre saying youre smarter than gruden. im done dawg, youre impossible. kaaya cant throw under pressure and more complicated rpo's woulda destroyed our offense. done. youre not gunna convince me otherwise when a superbowl winning coach spends 15 mins agreeing

Of course he says it's not the tackle's fault. No decent QB throws his oline under the bus. Notice when Goff says he does a good job Gruden laughs and says "he did".

And look at the platform Goff is on. He's on Gruden's show, of course he's going to agree with Gruden and not rock the boat. I guarantee when he was running this system at Cal he wasn't saying the RPO has ridiculous pass protection. It's just not true

And that tackle didn't get beat b/c he was running blocking. Stop it man

Last edited:
Advertisement

i guess we just have an agreement with the other team that they wont blitz when we r running the rpo.

now youre saying youre smarter than gruden. im done dawg, youre impossible. kaaya cant throw under pressure and more complicated rpo's woulda destroyed our offense. done. youre not gunna convince me otherwise when a superbowl winning coach spends 15 mins agreeing

Lol this is why I don't engage people on this board, people just have substandard intelligence.

But it's not an excuse, they are blitzing. They brought more guys than the offense could block.

What are "more complicated RPO's"? We run all kinds. Kaaya throws RPO's all over the field.

Nobody near the QB on this RPO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKA9iVlVwys

It happens sometimes. Sometimes the defense run a blitz or stunt and they get near the QB but generally that's not the case. The ball is usually out of the QB's hands before anybody gets near him.

You're making a general statement like "RPO's leave the QB vulnerable", as if that's a flaw of the concept, when 8/10 times that's not the case.

Advertisement
Back