RPO O Line assignment? Football heads X's and O's question.

The reason it's been harder for our RB's to break 8+ yard runs is because generally you're able to take the backside OT to the second level to block LB/S if your QB is a threat to run the ball. Because the DE's were crashing the run and not worrying about Kaaba we have to have our tackle take the backside DE and there's a +1 for the defence. So generally what could be longer runs end up at 2-3 yards.

Having a player like Perry will open up the run game because he would threaten the D with his legs.

Wait a minute wait a minute. You mean the QB does run in the RPO?

No - he would throw it or hand it off, but the threat of him running the ball would keep the DE honest, and not let him fly down the line and tackle the RB.

You block the DE on RPO's, not leave him free.

Advertisement
Last time we spoke about RPO's I suggested that we should just sticky a thread. That would avoid the weekly confusion we see on here about the RPO concept.

It's one of the most misunderstood concepts I've ever seen come through the football world.

An RPO is a run-pass option or packaged play. It's combining a run play with a pass play to never pick the wrong one. The QB will read some thing pre-snap and others post-snap. He has to decide mid-play to "play-action" or not. But he definitely doesn't have to run at all.

https://ironmanfootballblog.com/2016/03/28/run-pass-options/

https://ironmanfootballblog.com/201...-and-why-the-qb-doesnt-have-to-run-to-be-rpo/

https://ironmanfootballblog.com/2016/03/28/rpos-variety-is-the-spice-of-life/

https://ironmanfootballblog.com/2016/03/28/rpos-broken-down/

Clinic Talk: The RPO?s the Hurricanes displayed versus ASU - State of The U

Last time we spoke about RPO's I suggested that we should just sticky a thread. That would avoid the weekly confusion we see on here about the RPO concept.

It's one of the most misunderstood concepts I've ever seen come through the football world.

this is true even tho it is extremely simple concept honestly. I was going back and forth with some body in a thread who couldn't understand that the RPO is not the zone read.

[MENTION=5124]Coach Macho[/MENTION]...
One of your defenders is in a run/pass conflict and he can't be right. He'll always be wrong.

IDK, but looking at the examples that [MENTION=16253]Ironmanfootball[/MENTION] has given, seems like the offense is trying to make - what are supposed to be - pass 1st defenders, run 1st defenders?

Advertisement

this is true even tho it is extremely simple concept honestly. I was going back and forth with some body in a thread who couldn't understand that the RPO is not the zone read.

...until they eventually merge. RRPO.

The reason it's been harder for our RB's to break 8+ yard runs is because generally you're able to take the backside OT to the second level to block LB/S if your QB is a threat to run the ball. Because the DE's were crashing the run and not worrying about Kaaba we have to have our tackle take the backside DE and there's a +1 for the defence. So generally what could be longer runs end up at 2-3 yards.

Having a player like Perry will open up the run game because he would threaten the D with his legs.

No - he would throw it or hand it off, but the threat of him running the ball would keep the DE honest, and not let him fly down the line and tackle the RB.

Well you don't leave him "free" but with a below average OL it is generally really easy for them to beat the OT, or really any of the OL and get to the QB due to the OL blocking like a run, and DL playing it like a pass. So the QB doesn't have much time to get rid of the ball. It's why the qb makes one read (the LB) and gets rid of it or hands it off. kaaya wouldn't succeed doing the RPO if it wasn't always a bubble. screen.

[MENTION=9924]calinative umstudent[/MENTION]
kaaya wouldn't succeed doing the RPO if it wasn't always a bubble. screen.

Not necessarily.

At :31 & 1:00 of this video, He completes a slant off the RPO to Coley for a TD, and an RPO down the seam to Njoku for a long gain:

[video=youtube;PahslZLYcF4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PahslZLYcF4[/video]

Last edited:
[MENTION=9924]calinative umstudent[/MENTION]
kaaya wouldn't succeed doing the RPO if it wasn't always a bubble. screen.

Not necessarily.

At :31 & 1:00 of this video, He completes a slant off the RPO to Coley for a TD, and an RPO down the seam to Njoku for a long gain:

[video=youtube;PahslZLYcF4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PahslZLYcF4[/video]

1min mark isn't an RPO. Just a play action. And this is from last year. He was better last year, and somehow our OL wasn't as bad.

Advertisement
Depends on the run you're calling on who is left unblocked or if anyone is at all.

1min mark of the VA video from '15 is PA, not RPO. The OL isn't run blocking at all.

1min mark of the VA video from '15 is PA, not RPO. The OL isn't run blocking at al.l

Actually they are. LT,LG, & C down block, RG pulls, & the RT squeezed & hinged...that's Power/Counter blocking.
And I still contend that Kaaya was reading the MLB/ILB...to see if he'll bite on the run, which subsequently opened that window so He could zip it to Njoku.

And frankly, the same pass reads that I've seen in the RPO examples, are the same reads that I see in a basic Pro Style O.

But the RPO does have a true option concept in that the QB doesn't know what play's gonna be.

Advertisement
1min mark of the VA video from '15 is PA, not RPO. The OL isn't run blocking at al.l

Actually they are. LT,LG, & C down block, RG pulls, & the RT squeezed & hinged...that's Power/Counter blocking.
And I still contend that Kaaya was reading the MLB/ILB...to see if he'll bite on the run, which subsequently opened that window so He could zip it to Njoku.

Are you sure you watched the same play as we did? That was clearly pass blocking by the OL. **** the RB himself isn't faking a run at all, he's completely pass blocking. Just because you read what the LB does doesn't mean its an RPO.

That's PA all the way. People flat pull and pick up the DE on power pass so it looks like power.

[MENTION=5124]Coach Macho[/MENTION]...
One of your defenders is in a run/pass conflict and he can't be right. He'll always be wrong.

IDK, but looking at the examples that [MENTION=16253]Ironmanfootball[/MENTION] has given, seems like the offense is trying to make - what are supposed to be - pass 1st defenders, run 1st defenders?

The defender that the offense is reading has two responsibilities. He has a pass zone responsibility (hook/curl/flat) and he has a run gap responsibility (usually B-gap).

All the offense is doing is making him choose one. Whichever responsibility he chooses, the offenses goes the other way. That's what the QB is basing his read off of.

If he sticks his nose into the B-gap to defend the run the offense throws the ball to the vacated zone. If he stays in his zone to defend the pass the QB hands the ball of to the RB.

Advertisement

Becareful, this got me in trouble with "The Man" when I pointed out that some people don't know RPO when they see it. Clearly the entire line is seal blocking. Maybe I will do a class on run blocking???

Last edited:

Well you don't leave him "free" but with a below average OL it is generally really easy for them to beat the OT, or really any of the OL and get to the QB due to the OL blocking like a run, and DL playing it like a pass. So the QB doesn't have much time to get rid of the ball. It's why the qb makes one read (the LB) and gets rid of it or hands it off. kaaya wouldn't succeed doing the RPO if it wasn't always a bubble. screen.

*sigh*

On most RPO's the OT doesn't run block, he kicks the DE out. (like pass pro) This is to open up the B-gap for the run.

The reason the ball has to be thrown quickly has nothing to do with the blocking scheme. The throw is a "now" throw. The QB can't hold onto the ball because 4/5 linemen are run blocking. If he holds onto the ball then they'll get a penalty for illegal man downfield.

That play on the UVA highlights is a PA.

It's not uncommon for teams to pull during pass protection.

It wasn't an RPO. Everybody is pass blocking.

Why would they pull a lineman LEFT but fake to the RB going right?

All they did was slide protect. They're not down blocking. If it was power/counter blocking then somebody would've released to a Linebacker. You don't leave an LB unblocked in power/counter.

Advertisement
Back