RPO O Line assignment? Football heads X's and O's question.

Some dude on here tried to tell me RPO doesn't mean that Kayaks running the ball....WRONG! Good God people can sure be dumb!
It doesn't necessarily mean that. There are tons of variations of RPO where the QB does not run and simply reads the hanging Nickel or OLB in order to pass or handoff. This is done in the NFL quite a bit.

Advertisement
Some dude on here tried to tell me RPO doesn't mean that Kayaks running the ball....WRONG! Good God people can sure be dumb!
It doesn't necessarily mean that. There are tons of variations of RPO where the QB does not run and simply reads the hanging Nickel or OLB in order to pass or handoff. This is done in the NFL quite a bit.
This is what we have done the past 2 years

Everyone *****ed about all the bubble screens, but I never heard anything about it being RPO. I just thought Coley liked to call a lot of bubble screens.

Everyone *****ed about all the bubble screens, but I never heard anything about it being RPO. I just thought Coley liked to call a lot of bubble screens.

A lot of those was just bubble screens.

Yeah as 252cane said it a bunch of those were just bubble screens but we ran rpo last year too. On coley's long td vs Virginia last year it was rpo, and njoku's long reception on them last year

Advertisement
The reason it's been harder for our RB's to break 8+ yard runs is because generally you're able to take the backside OT to the second level to block LB/S if your QB is a threat to run the ball. Because the DE's were crashing the run and not worrying about Kaaba we have to have our tackle take the backside DE and there's a +1 for the defence. So generally what could be longer runs end up at 2-3 yards.

Having a player like Perry will open up the run game because he would threaten the D with his legs.

The reason it's been harder for our RB's to break 8+ yard runs is because generally you're able to take the backside OT to the second level to block LB/S if your QB is a threat to run the ball. Because the DE's were crashing the run and not worrying about Kaaba we have to have our tackle take the backside DE and there's a +1 for the defence. So generally what could be longer runs end up at 2-3 yards.

Having a player like Perry will open up the run game because he would threaten the D with his legs.

Wait a minute wait a minute. You mean the QB does run in the RPO?

That was me and no it doesn't mean Kaaya is running the ball. Our design of RPO is a RB handoff or quick pass. There's no option for Kaaya to keep it. You can incorporate that but then it's called a read option which everyone gets confused with RPO.

so what I saw on Saturday didn't really happen? Oh ok I see. Neither was all the faking like he had the ball and running didn't exist either...oh ok cool.

Kaaya *can* keep it and it would be effective for him to do it maybe once or twice, like he did vs Pitt to keep the defense from going all out for the run stuff. However that's not the design of the play. No OC in their right mind is going to call a play for Brad to run the football. If he does, it's his decision.

As for the Duke QB, Cutcliffe runs a zone read/read option where it's designed. Totally different concepts.

We have a section of RPO and another section of read option in our playbook where I coach, we designed our RPO package based on a clinic taught by James Franklin when he was at Vanderbilt. RPO, when done right is going to get you 6-7 yards a play and allow you the potential to bust big plays if you've got the playmakers to do it. It's designed to benefit average teams that are mismatched in terms of talent. Hence the reason Vanderbilt utilized it and we're using it. Extremely simplistic numbers game, simple OL assignment, no post snap reads, etc.

So basically kayak does run the ball in this offense and his fakes are designed to make you think he is running.

Advertisement

Use the internet man... Google RPO and zone read to fill your knowledge gaps. You can't expect everyone on here to tell you everything you don't understand. That's your problem and reason you can't quite understand the concepts.

Max protect early and get off to faster starts offensively in games. If we can do that the tempo, RPO, & running game, will all be on the table.

See the Pitt game for the max protect and how it really allow Richt to simply out-scheme the defense with the 5 skill players either staying in to block and create more time for Kaaya, or runing routes against zone or single coverage.

Kaaya had an actual pocket for Pitt game and that's why he made plays (including scrambling for 12 yards).. If you watch the highlights (and pause after the snap) you'll see max protection with TE and RBs staying in to block (7-8 offensive players blocking 4,5, or at times 6 rushers) so the kid could do what he does. Against a man look it doesn't change the coverage in the secondary so there's no drawback to keeping extra guys in to block.

I know people on this site think things 'magically' got figured out or this performance was a 'fluke', but it was just changing protection and it could have been done sooner. It think having more options was appealing initially because of all the skill talent on the roster, but if the OL can't create time for Brad to throw the ball, talent and options are moot (took 4 games to figure that out I guess).

https://youtu.be/Eer2kN6kt0Q

This max protection keeps 3 guys running routes and simplifies the reads (sometimes to half the field) while creating more time, which with Brad's accuracy is just what the doctor ordered. Richt has done this before going back to his FSU years and I'm not surprised by it now, but I wonder why it took this long to implement with the OL known to be the weakest position group. If we start the year this way I think we have a much better record. I expect better execution offensively with this subtle tweak of the scheme moving forward.[/QUOTE]

At 00:20s and 13:40s they keep 8 guys (2 receivers running routes) in to block because Richards has man coverage on the outside and they know Brad just needs time to make a throw. It brilliantly shows Richt's ability to draw up and call plays.

If you know what you're looking at, (and can...count) you'll see Richt drew up some nice plays and made some great calls this week.[/QUOTE]

No - he would throw it or hand it off, but the threat of him running the ball would keep the DE honest, and not let him fly down the line and tackle the RB.

We've had some good explanations on here so far. I started running RPOs in 2012 (post-snap Rich Rod style with IZR/WR screen), and built upon it in 2013 (pre and post snap reads how you see today). What many think you HAVE TO DO is have a running QB, but you don't. The NFL uses them with immobile QBs, I have as well.

Recent post I've written up on RPO's and not having to run the QB: https://ironmanfootballblog.com/201...-and-why-the-qb-doesnt-have-to-run-to-be-rpo/

Advertisement
We've had some good explanations on here so far. I started running RPOs in 2012 (post-snap Rich Rod style with IZR/WR screen), and built upon it in 2013 (pre and post snap reads how you see today). What many think you HAVE TO DO is have a running QB, but you don't. The NFL uses them with immobile QBs, I have as well.

Recent post I've written up on RPO's and not having to run the QB: https://ironmanfootballblog.com/201...-and-why-the-qb-doesnt-have-to-run-to-be-rpo/

Definitely don't need to have a running QB. Jared Goff at Cal ran a **** load of RPO's.
Difference is they didn't run primarily WR bubble screens as their Pass option. They ran actual route combos. Combining that with an RPO, where the Line is sliding and run blocking, and it sets your QB up to get killed. And thats exactly what happened. It would have been comical to see Kaaya try to do what Goff did. If you though his mobility was terrible, he would have been the worst of all time had he played behind the Cal OL.

Definitely don't need to have a running QB. Jared Goff at Cal ran a **** load of RPO's.
Difference is they didn't run primarily WR bubble screens as their Pass option. They ran actual route combos. Combining that with an RPO, where the Line is sliding and run blocking, and it sets your QB up to get killed. And thats exactly what happened. It would have been comical to see Kaaya try to do what Goff did. If you though his mobility was terrible, he would have been the worst of all time had he played behind the Cal OL.

And they FINALLY opened it up a little with the power/hitch RPO we saw. I run vert/out, slant/arrow, pop/hitch etc etc and some how a top 25 D1 can only run stalk/bubble...?

And they FINALLY opened it up a little with the power/hitch RPO we saw. I run vert/out, slant/arrow, pop/hitch etc etc and some how a top 25 D1 can only run stalk/bubble...?

exactly, thats how the RPO is supposed to be utilized, not solely with a bubble screen. And i really don't think its richts fault, he was limited by the OL's inability to block anything, and Kaaya. In general the RPO works, but with kaaya being such a ****** pocket mover and generally inaccurate under pressure, we couldn't open the RPO up to make it more successful.

Advertisement
So all RPO is, is PA with the QB facing forward, instead of turning His back to the D like traditional PA?
No, because what you describe (PA where back is turned to the D) does not have OL run blocking. In RPO, the OL are actually designed to run block; not pass protect. If the "P" is selected by the QB, it has to be quick or guys will end up illegally downfield (they often do).

It's a called running back hand off in the huddle. The OL is run blocking the whole way. Kaaya reads the defense at the LOS. I'm assuming he's counting defenders in the box. If the numbers are favorable for the run (for example 6 blockers for 6 defenders in the box) he hands the ball off. If we're out-manned in the box he fakes the hand off.

Now this is where I'm unsure of his options. I think he has two pass options if he chooses to pull the ball and not hand it off: slant route or the bubble screen.

As far as teams that run the RPO, I was listening to Sirius XM and they mentioned UNC runs the RPO. A Gator fan in the WEZ also said they run it.

Thanks. This seems relatively simple for a competent defense to defend against. Showing certain pre-snap looks could easily influence the QB's decisions.

Actually it's incredibly hard for defenses to defend. One of your defenders is in a run/pass conflict and he can't be right. He'll always be wrong.

RPO has nothing to do with QB run.

Advertisement
Back