Rousseau Weaknesses

Advertisement
If he had stayed and played, no doubt he'd be a guaranteed top 5-10 pick this year.

Perhaps. But we currently have 3 DEs who may go in the first 2 rounds. That is much harder to accomplish if all 3 fight for reps in a 2020 Covid-shortened season.

Doesn't make anything "right" or "wrong". Just pointing out that we have no idea if any of the stats for Greg, Jaelan, and/or Quincy would have suffered if those 3 guys tried to share 2 spots in 2020.

THIS!! He's the best, easily, and my Cowboys should get him, not a bama corner. Our pass rush is terrible, and he changes that immediately.

I don't know about "easily".
There's a pretty **** good one in this same draft on his same team.

Latest mock draft from Bleacher Report has Rousseau dropping out of the first round. Yikes, really hope that isn't the case.

Latest mock draft from Bleacher Report has Rousseau dropping out of the first round. Yikes, really hope that isn't the case.

I can't imagine a team not taking a swing at him in the first round. He's too freakish to fall into round 2 but anything could happen I suppose.

Advertisement

Someone is playing games with misinformation. No way he drops that far and I'm guessing there are some teams putting out some misinformation out there hoping he lands. I don't know why he would drop - no injury history, and yeah, he likes having a good time, but there are no character issues here.

Advertisement
yep but I think we can all agree that had he stayed and played well, he’d definitely be a top 10 pick
of course.. I am sure his agent told him only good things, I remember him mentioning season being cancelled midway and probably expecting many more players to opt out.. unfortunately they gambled and now there bed is made.. Hope he still goes somewhere in 1st round, kid still talented, just took the easy way out

Since my post quoting Zierlein on Brevin's perceived weaknesses seem to meet with some interest here, thought I'd throw up Lance's comments on Rousseau. Obviously, there are many strengths that Greg posseses as shown by his projection to go to SF at #12 in the 1st round. Still, these are things he might've worked on here that would've put him in an even stronger draft position.

"Weaknesses
  • Only one full season of college ball under his belt.
  • High percentage of rush production came at nose instead of edge.
  • Must add mass and strength to both upper and lower half.
  • Not overly twitchy or fleet in attacking the corner with upfield charge.
  • Struggled to dislodge tackle's punch against Virginia in 2019.
  • Conversion of speed to power is below average.
  • Needs heavier hands at point of attack.
  • Height limits natural leverage in attacking run blocks.
  • Absorbs more than he doles out in initial contact.
  • Balance through contact is erratic.
"I don't really see a big-time NFL rusher. So much of his pressure came as a zero-technique and he won't see those looks in our league. He has very average juice and speed-to-power." -- Director of scouting for NFL team"
I think Greg is a generational pass rusher and will average double digit sacks for a decade or more in the NFL. People forget he's a baby when it comes to experience. He got his 15.5 sacks in like 10 games. A good program will move him all around the line to find a weakness and he will exploit it. I am a Fins fan and hope they draft him. Trade up if necessary.

of course.. I am sure his agent told him only good things, I remember him mentioning season being cancelled midway and probably expecting many more players to opt out.. unfortunately they gambled and now there bed is made.. Hope he still goes somewhere in 1st round, kid still talented, just took the easy way out
I saw a couple mock drafts where he’s out of the first round. I’m gonna say he goes late first. Phillips mid to late first.

Advertisement
Since my post quoting Zierlein on Brevin's perceived weaknesses seem to meet with some interest here, thought I'd throw up Lance's comments on Rousseau. Obviously, there are many strengths that Greg posseses as shown by his projection to go to SF at #12 in the 1st round. Still, these are things he might've worked on here that would've put him in an even stronger draft position.

"Weaknesses
  • Only one full season of college ball under his belt.
  • High percentage of rush production came at nose instead of edge.
  • Must add mass and strength to both upper and lower half.
  • Not overly twitchy or fleet in attacking the corner with upfield charge.
  • Struggled to dislodge tackle's punch against Virginia in 2019.
  • Conversion of speed to power is below average.
  • Needs heavier hands at point of attack.
  • Height limits natural leverage in attacking run blocks.
  • Absorbs more than he doles out in initial contact.
  • Balance through contact is erratic.
"I don't really see a big-time NFL rusher. So much of his pressure came as a zero-technique and he won't see those looks in our league. He has very average juice and speed-to-power." -- Director of scouting for NFL team"

there’s this “outdated” idea (at least with today’s kids minds) that putting in time for at least 2-3 years in the “development league” (aka NCAA competition) makes you better prepared to play against the FULL SIZED mean dogs in the NFL.

But today’s kids think their Twitter follower counts makes them play better football maybe.

Advertisement
He's definitely not a perfect prospect, but there's no doubt he's a 1st rounder & his upside alone makes him a special talent that the right team/coach will salivate to get.

Overthinking & over analyzing players like Rousseau make you look foolish down the line, take a step back & check off the boxes, if he has what want in a prototype DE/EDGE then hypercritical analysis is just mental *********ion.

Rousseau can be a very productive EDGE in the league, especially if he gets drafted to the right system, he's a player that GM's will kick themselves in a couple years because they talked themselves out of taking him higher when they had the chance.

I agree he's raw & not playing another year didn't help his draft stock pre pro-day, but make no mistake about, all it will take is for one team to fall in love & they'll probably end up with a steal prospect in the mid-1st.

If he gets taken lower than any pick below 15 it's highway robbery.

Don't outthink the room, Rousseau has not come close to his peak as a player, take the upside & figure the rest out later.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back